Agnostic.com

42 4

Is living together an acceptable alternative to marriage?

When two people decide to live together are they really doing what is best for each other? If there are children who gets them when you separate? How do you receive child support if daddy or mom takes off?If mom does not work where does she get retirement benefits from if daddy takes off?What about property ownership?What about college for the children?

Marine 8 Aug 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

42 comments (26 - 42)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think living together is a step everyone should take before marriage. You really don't know someone well enough to consider marriage until you live together.

I've been down that road twice. I've spent the past few months thinking I won't do it again. But then I started talking to someone who I feel may have changed my mind. Blindsided, didn't expect it, and unafraid to face it. But here's the thing: you never can tell. I feel that if you meet someone who has the qualities you thought you were getting with the other(s) and living together for a while proves to be comfortable and fun, marry them.

I'll probably give marriage a try again (third times the charm, right?!). But for me, there has to be a real chemical reaction and strong attraction.

All legitimate concerns...any wonder why a marriage license is called a contract?

I have been married three times, divorced three times. I have never been with someone who just wanted to live together. My last wife and I cohabited for about two years while my previous wife was holding us hostage to try and squeeze a better financial settlement for herself. But there were visa issues that were running out, so marriage to the last one was the only way to keep her and her son in country.

Have ou decided how you have contributed to these divorces?

@Marine, does it matter? I have found that more often than not, every failed marriage has two stories, often vastly different. The first we were too young, the second was an inability to communicate in positive ways (lasted 20+ years anyway), the last was DOA before it happened, but accomplished what we set out to do; keeping a bright young boy in this country so he could have a better chance of a great future. Answer your question? Fear of being alone is a really creepy reason to stay married, let alone get married, regardless of how much family you have around you.

That’s a lot of questions. Property ownership depends who’s name is in the mortgage. Child support- visit your department of child support enforcement marriage is not a factor. In my country mom gets medicaid and Medicare at retirement age. Hope she has savings. The rest can be sorted in court unfortunately.

That’s a lot of questions. Property ownership depends who’s name is in the mortgage. Child support- visit your department of child support enforcement marriage is not a factor. In my country mom gets medicaid and Medicare at retirement age. Hope she has savings. The rest can be sorted in court unfortunately.

Courts cost money and would cost the same if you were married.

Morally yes totally, the problem is recognition provided by the state to such relationships and the financial hit that may be taken because of lack of a legal standing! Different states provide different levels of recognition, generally the more secular the state the less importance is attached to a formal marriage and the more recognition provided to common-law relationships!

When I refer to "states" I mean countries, just to avoid confusion!

In California, after two years of cohabitation a man and a woman are considered to be common law spouses, and the same rules apply as is they were married.

Even if they are deemed common law spouse's an employer can fight them in court when it comes to death benefits like continued health insurance, benficiary on life insurance and pension benefits unless the partner list them as a spouse on employment documents.

@Marine
True dat.

of course

Keep it super simple K. I. S. S! . No marriage no KIDS AND Yes to s wonderful bachelor life ?

As one becomes older the friends die off and it becomes more difficult to make new friends and sudden y you find yourself very lonely I am very pleased with my family which is very close. Without them my life would be completely different.

I'm past all that but wouldn't rule out either.

For all of the forementioned reasons I'm a marriage only person.
In my opinion it's selfish not to think of the children.. these are lives and souls ?

@Morganfreeman legally?
I don't think so.
Children are always a victim of abortion or given away to orphanages or living an unstable life... this is how their lives are wasted. This is the truth that ppl pretend to be blind to see

@Morganfreeman You haven't seen how bitter,expensive and nasty it can become. My niece is working on her third atty,two years into proceedings and $45000 in atty fees with no end in site . It isn't as easy as you project it to be.

@Morganfreeman sorry but that's exactly what I mean. Knocked up women shouldn't allow themselves to be knocked up in the first place and no it's not their sole decision...

First of all, if you are the parent you don't get to just walk away from the kids the law has something to say about that whether or not you're legally married to the other parent. Marriage does not prevent a parent from taking off. My oldest brother is a deadbeat dad. Being legally married did not stop him from disappearing on his wife and 5 kids. The working issues need to be resolved but rarely does any woman stay at home with the kids anymore. Who can afford it? Why shouldn't dad stay home if mom can earn more money and support the family? Property ownership can be done with two individuals not connected by marriage. College for the kids, again something to be discussed before you get them started. There is no real reason to be married in this day and age. I will never remarry, but I'm a long way from considering more kids.

Sorry see above in some cases you have to find them and that can be difficult. See my niece's tale above.

it seems like married or not that kind of separation is hell for everyone except the lawyers.

As I see it living together only substitutes one potential set of problems for another.I have known of two couples that have lived together and when they separated they both had numerous problems regarding children,money,property,retirement income,child support,children's education, medical expenses and denial of visitation rights for the children. Atty fees were no different than going through a divorce. So why not bite the bullet do not make the children bastards and work on having a wonderful marriage.

Laws vary from state to state. For example in Florida retirement income is not divided if you are not married. Also there is no alimony if you are not married. So there are two less things to fight about in court.

Isn't calling a child a bastard an antiquated term? I never married my daughter's father and never in 28 years have I or anybody else referred to her as a bastard. Sincerely confused and a little offended by this derogatory terminology.

I am way past bearing children, and my children are all independent adults. I have some pension funds that are tied into my ex husband's earnings because I was a stay at home mom for most of our marriage. Therefore, marrying would create a financial penalty for me. Unless future spouse is really really rich and really really demands marriage, nope not for me. Now for your questions re: minor children. The law is pretty good about child support if your name is on the birth certificate. The question of mom not working will need to be addressed by a lawyer and each state will have different rules. Property ownership will be the same way. Do you recall several years ago a Hollywood Palimony case? I don't remember the individuals, I just remember the term Palimony being kicked around. College for the children is never a given. I've known too many women left with little when the husband decided to take off, so marriage is no guarantee. EVER.

Yes

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:157533
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.