Agnostic.com

13 5

I have a huge problem with atheists who are completely intolerant of those who believe otherwise.

stomato 6 Jan 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I dislike anyone who is intolerant of the beliefs of anyone else (spiritual or otherwise) that said if you believe something that is factually incorrect I believe that it should be pointed out but if the person decides to believe it after your explanation then that's their prerogative.

I'm intolerant of anyone that believes in any god. I will not associate with them. they have no place in my life after my history with religion as a child. religion will all become mythology at some point then all of humanity can coexist.

I don't have to be tolerant of ignorance or anything for that matter.....

I have a bigger problem with religious folks proselytizing. This is a site primarily for non-believers so should be a safe place to vent a little intolerance of the brainwashed. Lighten up.

I am not very tolerant, I am happy to live and let live provided they do the same, but I have a real problem with stupidity.

Hmm, stupidity really gets on my tits, I'm not intolerant, but I will make it be known I think they are an idiot... lol

As long as they don’t shove it down my throat and try to convert me . Most of them were indoctrinated in their belief system from birth . I am not going to hold this against them when they did not even choose their religion or belief in the first place.

Well rest assured, we’re still outnumbered 🙂 Though actually, I’ve found Atheists to be as tolerant as any group I’ve ever palled around with. The respect I’ve witnessed around here confirms it. In any other realm, from facebook to the nearest grocery store - let an Atheist utter doubt - and the Religionists are all over them. But as mentioned, in the minority ..we get good at taking it … but around here - we get to dish some out 😀

Varn Level 8 Jan 17, 2018

When you say we are still outnumbered, are you in the USA? A recent survey by Humanists UK showed that over 50% are not religious.
As a Humanist living in Spain, our Humanist group (Humanists of Murcia) advocates tolerance. If people want to believe in God, that is their choice and we respect their right to their own beliefs.

@Exu1 Yes ...the US.. Every time I see a new ‘poll’ regarding our nation’s religious breakdown, ‘we Nons’ are gaining! I doubt many of us are picking fights in the outside world... I feel sorry for those not having escaped religion, and disgusted by the resources wasted to support it, but it’s only when they encroach on the rights of those who live without it that my hackles go up.

I agree . I could care less if an individual believes in a god or a religion as long as they accept my non belief.As far as I am concerned this is the least important character trait I am concerned about in evaluating an individual for potential friendship or any association whatsoever.

I'm not intolerant to others believes about "any" god. I usually keep my mouth shut and my thoughts to myself. Respect me and I respect you. Period. With that being said, if anyone tries to shove that bullshit down my throat, expect a healthy reality check. With plenty of cuss words.

I am not intolerant of people. I was a fundamentalist whacko myself. I do respect people. I have no respect for religion. I have no respect for living ones life as if mythology was actually real. There is nothing to respect about that and I am intolerant of living in a fantasy world. We live in a real world without magic sky daddies and it is ridiculous to live our lives according to fairytales.

This being said I am very empathetic towards those who do. I was indoctrinated as a child so I have been there. The best most loving thing I can do for a human being is simply be honest and ask them questions to provoke thought. If they have some basis for understanding how they "know what they know" and why they "know what they know". Then I have helped them. If not putting up with their baseless theology without attempting to bring them to reason is intolerant. I'm intolerant and happy to be so.
My words here may seem strong, but my life was Hell due to religion and I won't tolerate another human beings suffering due to it. I am gentle when I deal with them but I don't "tolerate" living in theological ignorance.

"Magic sky daddies" - I like that!! Hahaha!

@stomato I stole it fair and square from a friend that is a much better bible scholar than myself, he is on atheist nexus.

People disagree about what's "tolerable." For some, atheism is intolerable. For others, religionism is. I don't want anyone telling me I can't hold my deepest convictions.

People disagree about what's acceptable or offensive. Many people simply don't care.

I would prefer to err on the side of everyone getting to have their say--at the risk of some being offended--than any one feeling like they are not free to express themselves.

Of course, I draw the line at threats, hate speech, sexual harassment, etc.--you know, stuff you can go to jail for.

Being jerky sucks, but I'd rather some people are free to be jerks than all of us are a even a little bit less free. I'm sorry if people are being nasty. That's disappointing. But it's not really surprising. People are nasty everywhere, at all times, under all circumstances. I'm not sure there's a fix for it.

For the record, this former Catholic is a fan of this Pope.

REMEMBER: YOU DON'T KNOW ANY MORE ABOUT WHAT HAPPENS AFTER DEATH THAN BELIVERS DO! When I see posts from our members that are absolutely hateful and destructive of others that feel differently than we do when it comes to religion, it makes me cringe! Can we really expect that anyone in the world that believes in a higher power is always evil. I've received obviously uninformed comments about my support of the small changes Pope Francis has tried to make. These objections, and yes, completely dispiriting comments, are completely out of line, and they offend me. I don't expect the Pope to adopt an atheists point of view. But he has made strides to change the dialog of the Catholic church that other Popes did not go close to. He cannot change the minds of hundreds of years of dogma in a few short years. He's a Catholic Pope, he is not going to be on our side completely. But he has started conversations about subjects that have never been broached before. I give him a ton of credit for that. Any of you cynics that just want to trash him, I don't agree and you offend me. We should revel in any advancement that is made, no matter how minor it is. The Pope lives in his world, but he has proven that he is on the side of those in need.

I agree. I don't have any problem with religious people, and ask only that they show me the same respect and tolerance. I also agree on your points regarding the Pope - there's a lot I don't agree with him on (he's the Pope, I'm an atheist - of course there is!), but as popes go he's a pretty good one.

@stomato My post was one reply you didn't like about the pope. I stand by my comments about the mainstream media phoney reporting about this pope. You don't agree ? You are welcome to disagree. I think you may have a problem with atheists who express views contrary to your pet subjects or positions. That's a problem for you to work through. And just a reality check here. You might think this pope is wonderful, but know this: you say you are an atheist. To the Catholic Church, and this pope, you are out of grace with God, you will be damned for your rejection of God. You represent everything the CC opposes. This pope does not stand for anything different. His BS statement on atheists was nuanced by his PR people just in case it was misunderstood. He doesn't judge gay people, great, but HIS GOD does, and the position of the CC hasn't changed. We had a poll here in Australia about gay marriage. Fortunately it was successful, but the CC opposed it, of course. That's Catholicism on the ground. Like in third world countries where the CC opposes birth control, family planning and alike. Actively opposes it, like in The Philippines. If you are offended, fellow atheist (with a lingering attraction to Catholicism I suspect) about those of us who look deeper, see beyond mainstream media spin, and read about real Catholicism at ground level, then that's a problem for you. But I do not see that you have legitimate grounds for complaint. If you wish to ignore my posts, and others like mine, then that is your privilege.

I agree wholeheartedly! This pope is at least a LOT better than the last one... and I'll take what I can get in that department.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15888
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.