Agnostic.com

2 0

Book recommendation

Hi
I've been reading the usual culprits (ie. Harris, Hitchens, Dawkins.... Dennet is on my todo list). I really like a talk about death by Harris.

Could you recommend books/talks that explore the subject of putting things into perspective, worrying about the usual things that much?

marher 2 Aug 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hi. I'm real close to finishing Hitchens' God Is Not Great.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'putting things in perspective'. Do you mean you find what these guys are saying very troubling?

Oh no. On the contrary, I'm a big fan of them. I guess me mentioning them was irrelevant in this case. Just wanted to give a picture what I have been reading for the last few years.

I'm looking for a book that explores the topic of how everyday we worry about things that are really insignificant, a book that would help look at everyday things from more of a distance and not to worry about them so much. I guess the closest concept from classical philosophy would be stoicism. Is there a more modern exploration of the subject from a philosophical or probably more likely psychological point of view?

Oh, that’s not an easy question for me. The guys I read who do that stuff are not exactly religious but come from that angle. Jordon Peterson and Eckart Tolle come immediately to mind. I would also like to know about anyone very secular who wrote on the topic.

No, but I can recommend CBD oil for anxiety, sold at most health food stores.

"Cannabidiol is a compound derived from cannabis plants. It may help people with anxiety reduce their symptoms with few or no side effects.

A 2015 study concluded that CBD oil is a promising treatment for numerous forms of anxiety, including social anxiety disorder, panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, and post-traumatic stress disorder."

Link: [medicalnewstoday.com]

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:159108
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.