Agnostic.com

7 11

Baking Bread Today

Today I kneaded and baked Whole Wheat Oatmeal Bread.

My place smells wonderful. Have been baking bread for 35 years. My bread is more healthy and delicious than store-bought.

When Claire was a baby and toddler, she wanted to be involved in everything I did. Atop a beach towel on the kitchen floor, I kneaded four loaves on a cutting board. LIttle Claire could poke and taste to her heart's content.

"I made the rolls!" she proudly announced at dinner. When she was three, I showed Claire how to make simple roll shapes like Play dough.

Brushed with butter, Claire's rolls were delicious, no matter how goofy-looking.

For 15 years, I made whole wheat sourdough bread, baguettes and pancakes. Delicious.

Alas, this required nursing sourdough starter, fermenting in the refrigerator.

Each week, I removed one cup of insanely sticky starter, stirring in fresh water and flour. I felt guilty throwing it away. Then I had to bake something with sourdough.

The pressure. Fed up, I threw the whole mess away.

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I grew up in the SF Bay Area so was raised on sourdough, easily my favorite. It is the single item I miss the most since I went low carb 20+ years ago. Once or twice a year when I carb cycle I'll have some.

Nice. I used to bake bread. No longer eat grain but it brought me back to the smells and tastes of bread warm out of tbe oven with butter on it.

Alright This is a warning, between you and LadyA there is going to be a lot of travel time involved. Her meatloaf and your bread. Just a warning for when I win the lottery and have the $$ to do the traveling. I love the smell of baked bread.

I'm trying to lose weight and you're making me hungry.

Looks delicious.

Can I come over for lunch? I'll just book a ticket for the aeroplane flight. 😉

Home made bread is the best!

Have you tried baking GF breads? Cakes, cookies or things without yeast leavening are easy but breads are more difficult.

@JackPedigo

What does "GF" stand for?

@LiterateHiker Gluten Free. So much hybridization (not just GMO's) has changed the structure of wheat and more and more people are having problems digesting it.

@JackPedigo

No, I use organic, whole wheat baking flour.

@LiterateHiker Wheat that has been hybridized can still be organic. Many apple varieties (most actually) have been manipulated over the centuries to create types more amenable to humans. Population pressures mean an increase in food production which is often done without chemical means. Hybridization does not mean genetic modification.
I have 3 mules as neighbors (literally). I have learned a lot about mules, Hinnies and Jennies (very interesting). All are human creations that have been done over centuries in a natural way with no chemicals necessary.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:159242
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.