Agnostic.com

7 1

Personal stories harm caused by religion.

Can you share a way in which the practice of a particular religious belief by yourself or others has caused harm?

Happyonearth 7 Aug 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Better to dwell on the good things from the past. If any harm was caused, I was complicit, and I take responsibility. Either way, the past is gone—the present moment is beautiful and miraculous.

Very nice attitude, however, I am reminded of situations which were ignored by folks in the past because they were stressful or unpleasant. So we got the Holocaust, etc. I realize this is an extreme example, but forgoodness sake religion is being used by folk to really screw up a lot of other folk...

@Happyonearth Maybe I was lucky.

My sister and I used to be incredibly close....then, when she was away at Vet School, the JWs got her during a vulnerable time in her life....and ever since then, she has chosen all her JW friends over hanging with her own sister. Even her little bit of leisure time is spent with all her JW friends. If she's not at work as Vet Surgeon, she is out knocking on doors...no time or effort into being a sister. And, of course, holidays are now off-limits as are birthdays or any form of presents/gift giving.

I miss her. It's like she died.

I remember being exposed to the cult of Sun Yat Moon (sp)?, years ago. List several friends to the cult and list a lover to Evangelical Christianity. It is like they died, though I had never looked at it from that perspective before.

I never have since I wasn't brought up in a religious household, I've always been a non-believer.
But over the years I've had some friends that were brought up religious, and I've heard some real horror stories from them.
Especially when they told their friend, and family that they no longer believed.
Some were disowned by their families, some lost their friends, shunned by their community etc.
I couldn't imagine what that must have been like.

I was angry all the time at the injustice of my life , angry at God, until the morning I woke up to realize that there is no god. Now I live in peace knowing its all happenstance. No one is directing the traffic here on Earth.

You can see the harm it causes all over this site by reading what the church taught some about sex. Very harmful. Shame and guilt.

I'm looking for personal stories. I guess I have something of an agenda. A personal experience when shared with those intelligent enough to question their religion provides more emotional weight. I guess I'd like to deconvert some rational people who are seeking emotional satisfaction in what I see as dangerous venues and hope to use some examples of the present day destructive force of religion to place them on the oath of e lightenment...lol

I practice animism.

Yeah , hat religion ?

OMG,. What the hell...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:160176
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.