Agnostic.com

7 3

How do you deal?

I work for the state. A government agency. And on the website, there are prayers posted. Always referencing God in every newsletter and posting. Even emails. Does anyone else have to deal with this in a non-private workplace?

BettyBam 4 Jan 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well... I never been like treated by religion or god belief. I am not bothered, I can visit a house with a sign in the door saying "welcome to a house under god" and nothing. I do like the sign in the outside gate to the back patio in my son's house. "At this site in 1894, nothing happened". I am just not bothered.

While the specific wording is not there, democracy as envisioned requires a separation of church and state. The founding fathers came here to get away from religious persecution and I don't believe ever envisioned what the far-right christian wingnuts are trying to turn democracy into. Some of these 'religious freedom' laws some states have passed will be challenged but the real bugaboo, the christian right who support these laws fail to realize this gives ALL religiions in our country the same right to refuse service on the basis of their 'religious' belief. Allowing anyone to speak from the pulpit claiming backup from a 'God" is wrong for a healthy democracy. So I would complain to a supervisor, this is the sort of thing that gets challenged.

The SPECIFIC WORDING IS THERE in our gawdless Constitution : " no religious test shall ever be required for ANY OFFICE OR PUBLIC TRUST under these United States. " Criminal theocrats lie about our Secular Constitution. Our Iowa employee is suffering a "hostile working environment"

Courts and ACLU turn down most cases like these. ...we have been fighting IN gawd WE TRUST and prEyer to the flag since 1955 and corrupt criminal theocrat judges lawyers investigators prosecutors rarely allow us victory such as Murray v Curlett banning "reverential bible reading and ritual prayer" in public schools 1963 but 20 states go ahead and violate that stare decisis law when too few Atheist victims revisit the precedent case litigation

EEOC and Iowa Civil Rights Commission have original jurisdictions administratively unless City of Fort Madison has a local civil rights ordinance AND the perpetrators are harming Atheists off state property upon City property. .... McCarthyism runs deep perpetrated by government employees top to bottom and our local Iowa heroic Atheist needs a million dollars to live on because she will more likely suffer wrongful discharge. ..Governor Terry Branflakes is in China now and his replacement @ Terrace Hill has not offered new protection to Atheists suffering under Branflakes since 1983

@GreenAtheist ALL excellent replies - if the solution is a matter of interpretation or specific wording, the courts have yet to rule. Now we have trump/gop allowing words from the pulpit and possible donations BUT if the Supreme Court is slanted right . . . . . which is perhaps why this issue has not been b4 the SC?

@silverotter11 you nailed it....Article 6 has been minimized down to ceremonial oaths rather than a guiding secular standard for all government jobs. ...several of my cases citing Article 6 were avoided by "lack standing" illegally by corrupt theocrats on bench

@GreenAtheist There is good and evil with getting to the state level and the federal level. I've been a bit active with land and water issues in eastern WA State. I don't like Oxford commas (our permit exempt well water law has one). They make the interpretation even trickier. The whittling down of church and state lines is a very scary thing, fucking christians think nothing of killing for their belief.

Amanda Kniefe now with American Atheists HQ worked in Legislative Service Bureau for years and obviously got a better job fighting not sucking up to criminal Iowa theocrats. ...don't lose your job pissing off theocrats theocrats. ...courts rarely protect Atheist workplace rights and citing our rare victories CALLED PRECEDENT are illegally ignored by judges juries and disregarded by prosecutors WORST IS most lawyers won't take your case predicting defeat or wanting you to lose

Yes in both county Auditor and county Treasurer people at service windows cannot help see large religious instructions to prEy and be thankful for the non-existing answers Horry County SC worse is Rhea County Courthouse Dayton TN Clerk of Court there has 6 foot high wood carved letters of bible verses dominating office walls. ...movie museum of on location film INHERIT THE WIND and live radio broadcast of Bryan v Darrow Scopes Trial. ...museum in basement Clerk ground floor and large courtroom 2nd floor covers entire building

I just have to endure jesus comments at work and I am constantly seeing people praying before a shift. Or telling the customers, "god bless you." Or when I sneeze, "Bless you." I hear jesus's name more at work than at church! They wear a cross necklace too.

@MsOliver has an excellent idea. Also the ACLU. Looked up where Fort Madison is. Good luck.

The ACLU is a good suggestion But, be prepared for the possibility that your agency head may try to find any escuse to give you a hard time. But, if her or she did, you would have vcalid grounds for a lawsuit. You just have to ask yourself if you are up to the challenge.

My last employer had a Christian creed in their company policy I was with the company for a year when I was diagnosed with leukemia. Luckily they had long term disability. I did not fit the mold.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16018
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.