Agnostic.com

7 3

LINK Saying Goodbye to Planet Earth

"Frank said the mathematical models for the future of the planet have three trajectories. One is a massive die-off of perhaps 70 percent of the human population and then an uneasy stabilization. The second is complete collapse and extinction. The third is a dramatic reconfiguration of human society to protect the biosphere and make it more diverse and productive not for human beings but for the health of the planet. This would include halting our consumption of fossil fuels, converting to a plant-based diet and dismantling the animal agriculture industry as well as greening deserts and restoring rainforests."

SkotlandSkye 8 Aug 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Who is Frank?

Well, in spite of the fact that I like Chris and respect his intellect, I have a far different take on the matter. Oh, not the history of this issue because that is well established ( [history.aip.org] ), but the outlook for the future. After all, when it comes to looking ahead more than 2 or three minutes, it is all conjecture anyway --- and we are dealing with human beings and how they behave under stress.

Because of the dynamics involved, there is a smooth spectrum of possibilities stretching from horizon to horizon wherein one may pick whatever "end result" that happens to fit their personality or agenda. The 3 he has chosen certainly are possibilities, but they are not eventualities and they are not fixed points.

It is likely we will have some difficult decades ahead because much of what has led us to this point is difficult to change and once changed will take as much as a century to have the desired effect. But take heart, there are many places on the globe where the changes are already beginning --- some of them have progressed quite a bit. Like the proverbial snowball, it will gain mass as it continues down the hill until it is unstoppable. I don't see our species winking out of existence, but it is entirely possible that there will come a great dying. That will be sad on one hand, but a boon for Earth and the remaining people on the other.

All is not lost. We are destined to find our way among the stars.

Some observations presented here are supremely negative:

And here is why there is more than ample reason for a positive outlook.

I think option 1 is the most likely scenario........

I definitely need to become more optimistic...
You help ! 🙂

Living by the principle of Ahimsa 🙂

[en.wikipedia.org]

I think will have most the population die off before we learn to take care of the planet. I doubt will switch to a plant based diet soon, or stop raising animals for food.

Soon? WTH are you waiting for dude?

I'll take door number 3!

Is eternal hope for a better world a bad thing?

so, the first step is switching to a plant-based diet 🙂 it's really simple to do....and it also has the added benefit of improving your overall health and well-being.

@SkotlandSkye way ahead of you there! Do my part in more ways than that too. I do feel sad that I seem to be alone in that way though.

So whatcha gonna do?

Obviously I'm doing my share....I've been a vegan for 2 decades and worked as a chef at some great vegan restaurants...I do food festivals and trade shows -- over 1000 cooking/food demos --- and I also now do corporate health and wellness programs which promote plant-based diets.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:160479
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.