Agnostic.com

53 16

Have you ever been in a newspaper story?

In last Sunday's Wenatchee World newspaper, there was an article about the high school College Mentor Program.

The article featured me and used this photo! Last June, I took three students I previously mentored for a hike on Icicle Gorge trail.

Since 2006, I have been a volunteer college mentor, helping first generation, low income students write essays for college and scholarship applications. It thrills me to send kids to college.

I teach students writing and organizational skills, and the importance of doing work before the deadline.

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

53 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In the 6th grade for a science fair at school.

Yes. Radio, television, newspaper, and magazines.

@evidentialist

I've been on TV, radio, newspapers and magazines.

Yes, but i don't mention it ?

Not anytime recently, but I was a bit of an activist a few years back.

Turns out it doesn't make a living.

Pretty cool. I was Jan of 2006 0r 2007 when I was interviewing a homeless person during the point in time survey which is done annually and done across the country, but not sure it is annually or every few years, as I recall some were national counts. I wasn't thrilled about it, but the guy I was interviewing wanted to be in the paper.

I was on the news. When I had lived in California. The fire chief was drunk did a hit and run. I had lived a few doors down from him. The news reporter came to my door with a camera crew. I just had said what a bad example.

No, however my mother and I were interviewed when Ronald Clark O'Bryan was about to be executed in Huntsville, Texas.

For those not familiar with the case, he was convicted of killing his eight-year-old son Timothy on Halloween 1974 with potassium cyanide-laced Pixy Sticks.

I've been in the newspaper a few times and in Magazines several times

Yes, I regularly write articles for newspapers and various magazines.

@Grumpy

Good for you. For eight years, I wrote a column in Wenatchee Business Journal. The deadline came up fast!

Yes. My son and I were interviewed after the start of Bush II Iraqi war, when we painted a sheet with peace sign and No War. Got egged. Misquoted, on purpose, by the larger county paper. Wouldn't talk to them again. Got interviewed by a smaller town paper and the larger paper paid to reprint that one, too.

@Beowulfsfriend

With Citizens for Peace, we stood holding anti-war and peace signs at a busy intersection, during the lead up to the Iraq War.

"Fu-king traitors!" guys in trucks yelled, throwing beer cans and bottles at us.

@LiterateHiker i know. Now most of those idiots agree with what you were saying. I got more press by being a vet against the War, a stupid war.

Sounds much like my Clemente Project where we mentor people of any age to ready themselves for collegiate performance. ....Greek classic comedy&tragedy is easier than Shakespeare

Not bragging here, but in the late seventies I was featured on a CBS network show called "The Body Human". Shockingly, I qualified. That got me into several local and regional newspapers. Despite all that publicity, nobody ever showed up to sign me to a movie contract and my dreams of taking the Paul Newman role in the "Exodus" remake were shattered. My wife at the time (Long gone) said I should expect more like Alfred E Newman roles. I settled for Randy Newman and dabbled in song writing, but without much talent. Phyllis Newman was never really an option.

Many times. Radio and tv interviews too. Now adays i do little that is noticable

I was in a few newspapers for high school baseball. Still have them here somewhere.

I was on TV once. I was in a parade that was converted by the news that evening.

30 years in police work, my photo and name have been in the papers numerous times.

I was featured in a couple of them as a kid because of a rare birth defect. Looking back and reading them now, I actually find them to be rather offensive.

I am a strong proponent of gun control. Don't like to waste ammo when I miss the target.

Yeah, once on the front page. But my attorney told me to keep my mouth shut.

Several times. Most of them were about programs I had started or state and national recognition for such programs.One editorial sided with me in a conflict that a regional teachers' union rep started, trying to block a program (incidentally, that program also later won awards).

Well done !

Yes for me, over the years quite a few, regarding my work with animals, and theatre/music stuff.

@evergreen

Thank you!

Front page of the Lynchburg paper in '88. The AP picked it up. 15 minutes and no more.

Does TV count? I got on the news in San Francisco because I saw a guy fall to his death at SFO.

@slayerlam

Of course TV counts. I've been on TV and radio. Over the years, featured in newspapers and magazines for my community service.

The first time I was on TV, I got hives and had to wear a turtleneck in July. I was only 22.

No, but my second rescue dog, 11 lbs., headlined a story about the raid on the hoarder home he was in, with 39 other dogs. They used his pic because he was on the top tier of cages & relatively clean....the ones on the bottom had drowned in filth.

Yep. TV here and in Europe, Ukraine, Australia.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:160649
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.