Agnostic.com

15 7

How did God create the sun on the 4th day? With no sun there is no days. This is the number 1 biggest reason why I don't believe there is a God or a higher power at all.

ThereIsNoGod10 3 Jan 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The bible is extremely accurate when thrown at close range.

I heard it was a mistranslation of "period of time" translated to "day".

If you consider the whole universe as "the earth" in the story and "light" as the big bang, somewhat later comes large stars to die and or collide and give the matter you need to make planets, then somewhat later some hydrogen clumps up to make Sol and the proto Earth starts spinning as it accretes, and we get the first real "day", sort of.

So it's not all that bad of a story, coincidentally, given that it was mistranslated over and over again and the people who wrote it down were just making shit up.

That kind of seems like a trend though since they also mistranslated "young woman" as "virgin"

And the Hebrew word 'yom' is specifically a 24 hour period. It is the word used in Genesis. Hebrew contains other words for periods of time.

You cannot try to reason out the Biblical creation story as it's just that , a story told and written down by great story tellers. The Jewish people. It was their way of trying to make sense the world in those ancient times. And this story is not even original as it has earlier origins.

The biggest question is how you can convince a modern day person, this is somehow true? Yes, there are people who will argue that everything in Bible is the word of God and it is true. And, how do they know? Faith! I always wondered, how come God, could/would only speak to the people so long ago in the past?

what will be a god without an internal clock?

A religionist would say, "God's idea of a day is a mystery and unknowable to us and is a matter of faith." See, problem solved. 🙂

Actually our literal meaning of day is a 24 hrs period. It has nothing to do with sun.

@Srijith you had better pass that on to @ThereIsNoGod10

Logical inconsistancies in a book written by humans refute your belief in a higher power? No offence, but that's a 'Does not follow' argument.

Just for giggles, divide the age of the universe, 13.7 billion years, into 6 equal "days" of 2.283 billion years. Our Greater and Lesser lights actually did fire up 4.6 GYA, in "day" 4.

Day 1 sees a universe starting at a zero point composed of matter, space, and energy.

Day 2 has a firmament - a round metal covering around matter. At +2.5 GY there would be enough iron for solid planets and a magnetosphere around solar systems. We observe a firmament around our solar system, we call it the heliopause/magnetosphere. It separates a fluid, high density plasma outside from low density plasma inside.

Day 3 has enough nitrogen from nucleosynthesis for plant life to exist somewhere in the universe.

Day 5 has enough phosphorous, selenium, magnesium, zinc, calcium, etc for vertebrate life.

But the fun part is that if you tell that to a creationist or other biblical literalist, they will go absolutely ape-shit.

In the prequel to genesis God made a calendar before the universe...with God magic. They just didn't have enough parchment to write genesis chapter -1.

So, Adam didn’t know that Eve was naked until he took a bite of that apple? I knew what a naked woman was as soon as I hit puberty!

Thank gawd for Playboy.

@evidentialist I know, right?! lol

Your first question should be how did it create it self in order to form everything else.

Of course God did not create himself he always existed after he evolved from a monkey. I somehow feel awnry today.

It is all quite simple and beautifully logical. One of the things that went unmentioned in the genesis story is that The Big Dude, being supremely clever as all omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent guys are, knew before the whole show began that he'd need a timekeeping device to meet schedule demands, thus the first railroad watch was made. His Royal Smarty Pants also knew that he wanted to make a planet that revolved once in twenty-four hours which he would call a day and this notion of marking time with such device precluded the need for a sun at any particular point. See? Simple.

Checkmate, atheists.

See> easy peasy, works for me. lol

Well, the Bible tells you that God said that there is light, even before he thought he needed a sun for that. Maybe he had some huge flashlights, or he has set the atmosphere in flames. Who knows. But you are right, creating days and nights on the 4th day, makes it impossible to tell it's the forth day. For me it was something else, but this is a good one. Never thought of it.

Gert Level 7 Jan 17, 2018

A day equals one rotation of the Earth. So in fact, you theoretically could have a day without having the sun, but without the light/darkness cycle. Obviously we wouldn't be here to experience it though!

Jnei Level 8 Jan 17, 2018

Those pesky details!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16131
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.