Agnostic.com

17 14

LINK Remains of hybrid human girl with Neanderthal mother discovered in Siberian cave | The Independent

This is fascinating. I am looking forward to finding out more. (And on a personal note, I hope one day to do a deep DNA test that will reveal my percentage of Neanderthal DNA.....and who knows, even Denisovan!)

BookDeath 8 Aug 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Mrs. Obama?

zesty Level 7 June 7, 2019

All you have to do, is watch the monkeys at the zoo. When the female monkeys are in estrus, their rear ends swell, and glow red. When the male monkeys see that, they sneak up behind em, and 'connect'. It is easy to speculate a Homo Sapiens Sapiens, or Early Homo, doing that to a Neanderthal female. Or a Neanderthal male doing that to a Homo Sapiens Sapiens female.

I've met a few people whose DNA tests showed 2% Neanderthal.

My daughter did the DNA thing and showed high percentage of Neanderthal. Makes me curious about myself. Could explain why I have always felt out of place in life. I might be a Neanderthadl in a Cro-magnum world. ?

I had my DNA tested a few years ago and learnt that I am 1% Neanderthal and 2.5% Denisovan.

I read about this. Denisovan, Neanderthal and Sapian Sapian all mixed together. So, what do the bible thumpers say about that. The Pope said last year they had souls, but didn't expand on the thought. In Catholicism, all creatures have souls, only humans go to heaven. What about those mixed breeds?

Wasn't this an episode of Bones?

Wow, I was listening to this on NPR and all I could think of is Jean Auel must be like touching herself over this.

We had it done... both of us have 3.5 % Neanderthal DNA. Attributed to ancestral links to the Iberian peninsula which was the last stronghold of the Neanderthals in western Europe.
The test results are fascinating in their detail.

Interesting. I love science. As new information becomes available, new possibilities are explored. Science is truly the never ending story. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Aug 22, 2018

It's already been proven that if you are Caucasian, you tend to have a higher Neanderthal DNA profile than a say, a native or even a person of African descent, who tend to have zero or low Neanderthal DNA over all.
PS
This very interesting btw.

Yes, that is great research. I know I am part Neanderthal because my paternal uncle had the test done and part of it said he is 4% Neanderthal.

I read this article. Fascinating stuff.

That's a walk on the wild side.

godef Level 7 Aug 22, 2018

This article has more information and less hype. Fascinating find.

[theatlantic.com]

Hilarious, Denisovans are named after Denis, the cave hermit. Life imitates Monty Python.

Didn't the book from decades ago "Clan of the Cave Bear" speculate about this?

We have known for a long, long time that Neanderthal and Homo Sapiens interbred. We have also known that the same occurred with the Denisovans. What made this find particularly interesting was that it implied Denisovans and Neanderthals did, too.

Yes, Clan of the Cave Bear did so.

Yep. Pretty good series.

What an amazing discovery.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:161420
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.