Agnostic.com

7 0

God, mental disorder ?

Do the believe of a God is a mental disorder or a consequence of nurture?

RaulPerez 7 Aug 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In a big quote from Dawkins he uses megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic as a part of his description of the biblical god. So, yes, I think it is very likely. 🙂

I believe it is Nurture, if by Nurture you are referring to the programming and indoctrination of individuals from early childhood. Psychologists might consider the vicious cycle of a society which indoctrinates in this way as a form of a mental disorder. Not an expert on psychology, but if they do consider it, then I guess it is both.

Everything is a consequence of nature, but if it's science you go by, it doesn't classify belief of God as a mental disorder. Believing that 'belief in gods is a mental disorder' is as unscientific as believing in a literal god.

skado Level 9 Aug 22, 2018

According to courts, it's perfect sanity, but only because the person believes in it. That was the argument given to debunk Pastafarianism as a religion, cause while you believe in an imaginary friend in some other dimension that is one god but in three parts, where one is a son but no mother (im talking pre-earth visit savior), and then came to earth to sacrifice yourself to yourself to create a loophole for rules yourself made...believing in a spaghetti monster is just absurd. But of course Schizophrenia is obviously not a religion, since they really believe it , but that is obviously just crazy talk. I wonder what cracker jack box that judge got his credentials from?

How about a mental disorder perpetuated since ever?

If someone were to start talking about Zuse, Hades or Poseidon we know this is classic mythology. When someone starts talking about the current deity or demigod my eyes roll that they can not see the delusions they are indulging in.

Bur remember that what today is seen as mythology used to be religion.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:161511
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.