Agnostic.com

26 5

How do you make a living?

Just curious to see what kind of work we do, and if we're more dominant in any one field. If you're retired, choose the type of work you did before. Choose up to 3.

• 20 votes
  • 14 votes
  • 15 votes
  • 23 votes
  • 8 votes
  • 10 votes
  • 9 votes
  • 5 votes
Tecolote 7 Jan 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Retired (mostly) advertising Creative Director and graphic designer. Now I play with photography. So I checked both business and arts.

@Redcupcoffee I worked for a number of Austin agencies and studios: HC&B, Sherry Matthews, Hixo. Also worked for my own design studio for awhile.
How about you?

@Redcupcoffee Advertising and marketing can be such a stressful and demanding career. You always have to be on your "A" game, and then even better the next time. Personally, I'm glad that I'm out of it. I wish you luck.

@Redcupcoffee Yes, although I still do an occasional project -- mostly for my ex. She's a consultant on farmers markets and food stamp issues, and I'll do PowerPoint slides for he talks. I mostly do photography these days. I have a couple of FB pages for my photography if you're interested: Requiem (just cemetery photos) and Photus (more general).
I hope you are enjoying advertising and graphic design more than I did.

@Redcupcoffee I used to have a website with portfolio back when I was doing more freelance work. But I let it lapse as there didn't seem to be any point. There are so many young graphic designers in Austin, people were practically giving away the work.

As for reasons I didn't love the industry ... some of the main ones:
I hated that you could do 4,999 things right on a project but one mistake meant the project failed.
I hated the fact that clients usually didn't recognize or care that you had a life outside of the job.
I disliked that clients expected great work but were often unwilling to put in their part to make it happen.
I disliked the egoism of many of my colleagues and the crummy way they treated their suppliers. And the whole business attitude of treating employees as disposable parts of a machine.
Basically, I got burned out on the whole process. I prefer to engage in endeavors where people are treated with respect because that's the way you treat people, not because you expect to get some financial benefit out of them.

Still, I wish you the best and hope your experiences are more fulfilling than mine were.

@Redcupcoffee If you have a website or portfolio online, I'd love to see it.

None of those things. I drive a truck 🙂

2 million accident free miles?! Now that is an acheivement

On-line instructor.

@Redcupcoffee Not sure if your question was for me for @MrLizard. Well anyway I teach English, but to adults not children, business people through a platform that the host company provides. Used to be mainly Europe but now includes Asia and SEAsia and Japan and China. These people are professional and management, so I have to cover a lot of subject areas, like HR, marketing, sales, as well as technical fields, you name it. Even the occasional rocket scientist. 🙂 I don't like the term "Business English" but it is I suppose. I have private online students as well now. Been doing it for a long time now.

Hmm, would web development fall under "skilled labor"?

Forestalling inevitable death.

And to you!

Do you get paid for that? 🙂

I'm a Silver and Gold smith with my own shop, although I spent half my working life enforcing the law in both the public and private sectors as well as being a former teacher. (I also worked semi-professionally as a magician in my younger days)

Darn I checked off too many options because I had done a lot of things including military so I am not voting in... but I question that religion was not included as an option.

@Tecolote Well, I like you already then.

I've done many things over the years from being a department store manager to working in an accounting department for American Express to radio DJ to Senior National Sales Manager at a Las Vegas strip hotel.

My current vocation is one of a machine operator/mechanic. I manufacture aluminum cans. I run 20 machines that make abut two million cans a day.

Duke Level 8 Jan 18, 2018

I am a retired electrician and had the pleasure of putting in a new line at Alcoa in kansas city. Very interesting process.

Did you put yours?

Science teacher

I love the fact that there are a lot of educators on the site. Thank you for your hard work for such a little pay check. I appreciate what you do.

Caseworker for the dept of human services

Bloody hell, I can't say, although semi retired, a work day could be giving a talk on energy, taxation, teaching maths science to high school kids, computing to seniors, gardening or working with preschoolers. I am rarely bored.

A humble carpenter from the provinces.

Retired college / HS prof.

Am a veteran (Navy) also a poet and trying my hand at authoring a novel have not acquired any riches from writing as to date I keep trying though.

Doorman at a venue / writer / busser.
I have no desire to do much else, comfortable with where I'm at.

School PR

None of the above.

These 3 cover much of it but I'm retired now.
Business... I worked with contractors to service the places I've worked as a supervisor and planner. My boss did tell me one time that I didn't know anything about big business...lol. he was right. I just thought i was in charge...lol. Dang it!
Skilled labor: welder, pipefitter, boilermaker, SAP planner with other programs, millwright, and machinist. I'm not bragging. It takes what it takes.
Education: I taught welding, pipefitting, millwright, and machinist inside and outside. I'm retired now and I'm tired. The last thing I taught was rotating equipment repair. I'm not bragging. The more you know about these things. The easier to Wow the companies that will hire you. Oh yah... I got a little degree. You would never guest what it is...lol.

I make websites. I suppose that takes some skill and some labor, so that gets my vote.

I am a retired Social Security Examiner but I teach part time.

I work in Information Technology so I picked science as I often work on emerging tech. IT is a big category with lots of atheists and agnostics...

While I agree that driving a truck takes a lot of skill, I'd suggest building another skill as that is a job that is likely to be replaced by technology.

I deal a bit in antiques .

It's good to see a number of educators in this forum.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16171
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.