Agnostic.com

31 2

Is religion the cause of all (or most) wars?

I was thinking tonight about how it’s often said that religion is the reason most, of not all, wars are started. So I thought I’d start some discussion on the topic.

It seems to me that most wars are started due to the drive to have power over others and make economic gains. I’d love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

raines 4 Aug 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments (26 - 31)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It may not be that religion is the direct cause of the beginning of most wars, though it certainly is of some, but it sure is useful in uniting and motivating people against a common enemy, as in "if God is for us, who can be against us?" and "if God is on our side, the devil must be on theirs."

Religion and other forms of tribalism have most certainly caused many wars. In other cases where it doesn’t, it can be used as the justification. Resources are also a big cause.

Many of them...
But it is always about power, influence and money...

Absolutely, Positively without a doubt if you are a student of History. History requires a lot of reading by different authors or credibility that leads you to other authors and persons of the same era.
I got started on the Life of Gen. George Patton whom I never understood but having seen the movie and having read the Bio's of Eisenhower, Mac Arthur found Georgie was the most interesting and logical on how to win a war.
Being a Veteran and having some understanding of how FU'd the Military can get with its rules and regulations which cost more lives then actual combat will tell you that Patton won WW11 in Europe which if it had not fallen Japan would have never surrendered.
The irony of it all is that both country's are our most closest allies in every way. Patton warned us about Russia, and Mac about Korea an Viet Nam.
I may also need some input to this but Viet Nam is like 90% or more Catholic. I also remember reading that the Tenets of Hitlers SS was taken from the Jesuit Order. If anyone would want I will go back and research my findings which I recollect but do not have the books at present on my mind.

Absolutely

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:161723
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.