Agnostic.com

11 4

LINK Woman’s blasphemy conviction in Indonesia sparks backlash, intensifies concerns - The Washington Post

More news in the Religious-behaving-badly category. But really, does that surprise anyone? After the recent revelations re: the Catholic Church here (smh), any post that is GOOD and related to religion is certainly an outlier. Hitchens continues to be right, IMO.

BookDeath 8 Aug 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Washington post wants me to pay $1 to read that story. Sorry, I don't pay for news.

How strange, I wasn’t asked to pay.

@BookDeath i would do initial research on Google scholar and get authers and titles and then go elsewhere to find the texts and writings.

More proof that religion is all about control, control and more control!!!

Blasphemy--- a victimless crime.
If Gawd is so offended....let HIM come down and file a complaint.

This is a free link....since the Washington Post wants money to see their article.
[abc.net.au]

“She did not commit blasphemy. What she did was offer a neighborly complaint, and that is not an insult to Islam'' Says it all really

That is my country of birth where I spent the first 12 years of my life. I was also of the ethnic-Chinese minority (hated because we tended to be better educated and wealthier and non-Muslims). There is no religious freedom in a country that requires you (by law) to have a religion and only one of 5 (I don’t know where they get 6 in the article) approved. God forbid you claim to be atheist or agnostic there. The targeting of non-Muslims was the reason my family moved to Canada.

What utter buffoons. Never has a quote I've seen referring to religion as "...a fossilized lump of useless thought, a psychological ball & chain...", seemed more appropriate. Ah... the human race??? More evidence that our race truly is about a half chromosome away from being chimpanzees.

Blasphemy laws should be removed world wide, it makes no sense to self-censor what you say. Freedom of speech is much more important.

To anyone with a morsel of intelligence, Islam is its own worst advertisement.

Here in Ireland there is a blasphemy law with penalties for breaking. There is a referendum on this taking place soon. Sad to see this superstitious nonsense still around. Words have magical powers!! What a crock.

What a Crock!!!!
Blasphemy against Sobek you foul heathen!

A real person makes a negative comment about a theoretical person. Adherents of said theoretical person get mad. Real person is punished because of hurt feelings of the believers in the theoretical person. Theoretical person apparently has no skin in the game except to serve his adherents with reason to punish those who do not worship their god. I guess that's just bullying on a theological level.

Sticks and stones may break my bones....

If your god can't handle some criticism, perhaps you should find something that isn't quite so weak to worship.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:162552
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.