Agnostic.com

30 4

Are you heartache proof? Did you ever think you would be?

Decades ago after a woman who decided to move on crushed my soul like a Sandstone pebble, and I eventually got over it, I thought that I had endured enough to figure it out, and that no one would ever be able to do that again. But of course I was wrong. Have you ever felt that way to? Have you figured out what the armor is that works?

CallMeDave 8 Aug 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The armour is easy...just don't care. Problem is life is pretty bland when you don't care about anything. I wouldn't recommend it but I did it for years in my youth

@Donotbelieve None of those things will leave you heartbroken that I know of so you should be safe.

@Donotbelieve Understood.
For me stuff doesn't matter only people. They are frustrating and silly at times but also the only thing I find worth investing time and effort in. So while I understand where you are coming from I don't really care about any of it if there isn't some people involved to make it interesting. I used to be a total lone wolf but found it less satisfying than I feel my life is now.
Takes all sorts

I thought a woman will never break my heart... and then less a month ago... my daughter died and I refuse to recover!

So sorry for your loss.

@kensmile4u Thank You. It is broken for life but I will move on.

@GipsyOfNewSpain We are not supposed to outlive our children. My sister lost a son. It is the saddest thing that can happen in the human condition IMO. I know you are a strong man so you will be ok. Good luck with the difficult task of moving on.

@kensmile4u Thank You. I was prepared to the loss of my Mother and she still around outliving sons and grandchildren!!! That will teach me a lesson!

Who was that woman...

ocrab Level 4 Oct 28, 2018

Martha Connel from Alaska

@CallMeDave Interesting that you never told me about her. Maybe you should talk to somebody about her & your relationship. Sometimes it helps. I know you hate that but...

Buddhist philosophy has some great insights on this. They discuss attachment and its role in suffering frequently. Appreciating experiences for what they are, not what you want them to be is profoundly helpful. Everything ends, it's appreciating what you have while you have it and accepting the nature of the relationships that heals your emotions.

Well . May I give u an advice ? Broken heart means alive heart . U played your best , something to lose / something to gain , pain for sure at times , but . ALIVE . Armoir won't do any good . 100% is the only way to go . We only live once ?

Sure, give away. Will I take it? Ha! maybe.
Was I looking for it? Not really, but several people have interpreted the post that way, which is fine. Majority Rules. I like your advice. You're not as cyncal as some. To each their own of course, not being critical. I hope.

As far as I know, there IS no armor that works.

Seems to be the truth.

Nothing seems to work. I am still in love with a woman who threw me over about religion 60 years ago.

Dang. That must be some woman.

Relationship require you to take chances and become vulnerable. Everyone has to ask if the joy you get out of any given relationship is enough of an upside to balance against what could be betrayal and emotional devastation. Keep your relationships shallow if the risk scares you.

I have some pretty high thick walls. Every once in a while a person finds the door and key and gets inside. And when they go, I’m heartbroken to the point that I declare I’ll never let that happen again because when you let someone in they devastate you. But then I do.

I guess the risk of a broken heart is better than the fear of loneliness? Or maybe I refuse to let go of the thought that while I’m looking for him, he’s looking for me. And eventually our paths will cross. Someplace normal and mundane like the grocery store or the DMV. A some little spark between us will ignite a fire..and suddenly, flames everywhere.

My modus operandi has always been "Open heart, open mind."

Then I was hurt by two "players." I felt sad, disillusioned and all kinds of stupid.

It is impossible to be open to love, yet keep your heart in a box, I discovered.

Loving whole-heartedly requires vulnerability.

Enjoy this wonderful, 20 minute TED talk by Dr. Brene' Brown on "The Power of Vulnerability." Her talk changed my life.

[ted.com]

You have already said it, "armor." The problem occurs when you let someone in. That's when your shed your armor and become vulnerable. I'm not saying you shouldn't do that, but opening your heart to someone always makes you vulnerable.

"And then the day came, when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin
I finally let my walls down because they were too painful to maintain. Vulnerability is being tender to oneself, and we have to forgive ourselves.
The Buddhists have it right - don't get attached to anything except your own happiness. As long as you have that as your basis, nothing can really harm you.

I wouldn't want to be. How can I expect another to love me completely if I'm holding back? I still hope to be loved that way! Doubt that will ever change.

I was there only once as a teen. It didn't work.... Never again but don't know what/if I did anything knowingly to control it. It's like I lost all my feelings altogether and gradually over time as I grow old they are trying to come back..... I don't know what for or why.

I don't think I can be heartache proof. The sweetest eyes can tell the worst lies. I can only prevent it by being careful who I make commitments with using lessons I've learned from the past coupled with what I know about myself.

Story of my life. A heart made calloused, then unnumbed after years of effort, only to be trashed back.

I feel that I've calloused enough to endure, though I hope to not go through heartbreak again. Maybe that's why I prefer singleness: deep emotional vulnerability in regards to romantic love is the only cowardly thing about me unfortunately. Otherwise, I'm a fairly ballsy broad.

I was in love for many years and I fully expect to find that again. It’s amazing to share your life and love with someone. I can’t imagine not wanting to despite the pain I have endured, I know it’s worth it.

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

Sure, don't love anyone. Otherwise, there's no armor.

I learned that I am done.
The walls are up, the armor is on, and that's okay with me.
Everyone else is free to do as they please.
I am done.

I quit MANY years ago. This is a site where there can never be too much info. I weighed a lot, lost 200 lbs and lived the life of a fit, 140 lb woman for 8 years. All it ever got me was laid, every which way but up, when I figured out it wasn't 'that' I moved on, some 20 years ago. No interest, what-so-ever, not even a tad. I'm not lonely, have 2 pugs, a beautiful piece of propterty, a garden to die for, what else could I want?

The only heart brake I've ever had was when my grandmother died.
We were very close, and it very hard to get over, I still really miss her.
But as forrelationships, I've never had a bad breakup. In fact I'm still friends with most of them.

utterly dead inside,and comfortable with it. this life has shown me all it has to offer, time for oblivion or what ever else comes next.

I find avoidance works. I just don’t bother.

Livia Level 6 Aug 25, 2018

The only armour against heartbreak is death of one sort or another. Or you're psychotic in a way that allows it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:162564
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.