Agnostic.com

27 18

Atheism is a religion like…?

What are your favorite "atheism is a religion like…" comparisons? Ex.:

• Atheism is a religion like off is a television channel.
  • Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair color.
  • Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position.
  • Atheism is a religion like clear is a color.
  • Atheism is a religion like fasting is a favorite meal.

So, what others have you heard? What's your favorite?

resserts 8 Aug 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Atheism is not a Religion. PERIOD.

True. That's what these comparison statements are supposed to illustrate.

@resserts Yes, I understand that. I'm just being direct. Also, I don't always play by other people's rules.

Like not collecting stamps is a hobby

• Penn Jillette

@LimitedLight Well, it sure wasn't Teller!

@LimitedLight I’m not sure if he’s the first, but I do know he did say it.

Atheism is a religion like a political party is non partisan.

Atheism is a religion like sacrificing a virgin is a life saving event

Omots Level 7 Aug 25, 2018

Like air guitar is an instrument.

Hey, it is, well I can hear it, you realist you.

Atheism is a religion like neutral is a gear.

Try as they may, people want to make atheism into a religion. Many might still ask you "who do you worship?" Others appear to need that sense of community they got as theists, so they go on to start services and meetings that give the common theist ground to actually see atheism as a religion. It's hard to break out of this circle.

Atheism is a religion like a vegan lettuce wrap is a double-patty double-bacon cheese burger.

Like jello is a superfood.

Omots Level 7 Aug 25, 2018

Love it man. I am going to use those.

The first one to pop into my head, before I scrolled down, was the first one
on your list.

I prefer Sanity as a term to describe not believing in imaginary friends.

Well, as an atheist, it certainly is a belief - a belief of non-existence is still a belief. It’s not a religion as there is not creed or core text, but it’s definitely a belief.

Livia Level 6 Aug 25, 2018

So everything a person does not believe in is also a belief?

@intrepid65 yes...think about it. “I don’t believe the world is flat” means you believe it has a different form, probability a ball like form. That is a belief, and thankfully a scientifically proven one. “I believe in the complete absence of any kind of deity”...it’s a belief.

I am simply not convinced that I should accept the claim that deities (a deity) exist, because I see insufficient evidence. What I do see is a lot of wishful thinking. I do not really "believe" there are none. It remains an unworkable hypothesis for me.

So am I a believer in the "non existence" of all the things that people can imagine but I have yet to imagine? How about all the things people have yet to imagine for which I see no evidence?

Your logical angle on this brings the belief/non belief dichotomy into the realm of absurdity. 🙂

Your example of the distinction between a flat earth and a spherical earth is not an accurate analogy. We have evidence that the earth does exist whether it is flat or spherical. The evidence we have for its shape changes with more information (our scope). The evidence for a deity does not change with more information because there has always been none. Yes, there does seem to be a direct correlation between ignorance of science, history, philosophy, theology... and the likelihood that one will accept claims that God(s) exist, but that is still rooted entirely in imagination. As children our imagination was unencumbered by evidence. That is a good thing in a way and perhaps an aspect we should retain to some degree. But being an adult means we need to be more responsible about how we balance our imagination with reality.

Are you a believer in the nonexistence of a celestial teapot? 🙂

@intrepid65 Yes, now you have said “the celestial teapot” you have brought it into existence as some type of concept, yet as a reality, I believe in its non-existence...I have now formed a belief in such a pot not existing...see? ? I hope you are smoking something! I could really get into this...

@Livia Well, I borrowed the concept. The "celestial teapot" was introduced by Bertrand Russell to demonstrate that "faith" (which means there is no evidence) in a deity is not the virtue that most people accept it as. 🙂

@Livia, I'm not smoking anything. Why, do you have something?

[en.wikipedia.org]

@intrepid65 unfortunately I wouldn’t even know where to obtain any these days, but our conversation took me back to those conversations that make loads of sense when you’re stoned and feel you have come across a philosophical truth and all go....yeah...weird.

@Livia, yeah that's weird.

Religious indoctrination has always reminded me of the same type of hypnotic persuasion that drugs and alcohol can have. 🙂

I'll refrain for now in covering the different types of beliefs that people have had throughout history. Do you accept that there can be different kinds of (a different basis for) belief?

Are you familiar with the difference between inductive and deductive reasoning?

@intrepid65 yup- and the actual best obtainable result is usually due to an interplay of both types.
Inductive can can produce falsehoods, like conformation bias etc. but deductive reasoning can also fail if your tests don’t match your theory, or your premise is untrue. I don’t think one is superior to the other. I am assuming you think deductive logic is preferred, but hypotheses themselves are often based on inductive reasoning.

@intrepid65 except religious indoctrination is far less enjoyable.

@intrepid65 yes, I think there are different premises for belief, and non-belief. It’s just a product of the brain. I suspect that religious types have a more/less activity in some parts of the brain. I am not a neurologist, but I think some people are predisposed to religious belief and via ritual and prayer increase the effects of these brain parts. I have never, ever had any kind of spiritual or supernatural experience or belief in god since I can remember. I just don’t relate.

@Livia, excellent and accurate responses. No, I do not think deductive reasoning is superior, They work best in conjunction with each other. But deductive reasoning is what eliminates poor ideas. I do not think that when I eliminate poor ideas that I am believing in the "non existence" of that idea. The idea still exists, I just see it for what it is, a poor idea. Based on the evidence. 🙂

@Livia, I tried to be theist for a significant portion of my life. I researched and examined all sorts of proposals about deities. I have always been an agnostic. I think the Dawkins spectrum of theological certainty helped me to see things a bit more accurately. I was a 3.5 on that spectrum for several years. I thought it was a necessity in dealing with a substance abuse issue, an I gave 12 step programs a chance. In the end I realized I was only fooling myself. Plus the Chapter to Agnostics in the Big Book really insulted my intelligence. 🙂

@intrepid65 had written a really thoughtful reply and put effort into it. Then the app did something weird and I lost my comment ? hope we can cross swords and share ideas again on another topic. Nice conversation.

@Livia I do not think we crossed swords at all. At first I thought you were a dolt who had no idea about this subject. But your last responses changed that. I applaud your critical thinking skills, I just disagree with you that rejection of an idea is the same as "belief" in it's negation. I will say this once again; I do not believe there is no god(s). I just find no compelling evidence to accept any claim I have seen that there is a God. If I ever see a formulation of the existence of God(s) that fits the evidence, I will accept that claim.

Atheism is a religion like blindness is a form of sight. to the best of my knowledge, just made that up but someone else has likely also published the same.

As an agnostic I'm met some atheists whose belief seems as fervent and intolerable as the pious folk I've met. In that way, atheism resembles religion.

I'm uninterested in such infighting among nonbelievers.

I'm an atheist and I lack intellectual tolerance of such idiocy and fear. However I contend that a person has a right to whatever nonsense they choose. Here, I simply block.

@resserts who's fighting?

@resserts, @LilAtheistLady that I get.

While I agree with you to a degree, and I consider myself agnostic, I think that fervor is more often aimed at the dysfunction in religion. And that dysfunction stems from the authoritarian aspect that is attached to many religions.

@intrepid65 ah yes but the intolerance of anything they cannot understand takes on pious proportions it seems. Like anything unknown just doesn't exist in their minds, similar to logic in religious folk. Lol

@Deanervin when I was an adolescent I tried working out this "tolerance" thing. I have always been a relatively tolerant person. But what should be done with those who are intolerant? Should we be tolerant of those who are intolerant? Should we be tolerant of people's ideologies that lead them to pedophilia, rape, slavery, murder...?

@intrepid65 Tolerant as long as not hurting others. That seems an easy metric but even that can get convoluted at times.

Like not drinking is a level of alcoholism.

For recovering alcoholics in 12 step programs that is what they are taught. And appropriately most people in 12 step programs treat it just like a religion.

Let's accept it as such and get the advantages of what other religions receive; taxes, special treatment, special laws, etc.

Buddhism is one religion that does not require belief in any deity. There are some people who will say that Buddhism is not a religion but a philosophy. Perhaps that is accurate. "Religion ends where philosophy begins." - Christopher Hitchens.

Well it has to be something since they talk about something they don't believe in more than those that do.
I joined this site to get away from religion but it's like a NA/AA meeting where all you hear is the great reasons why you took drugs and alcohol in the first place.
It doesn't take critical thinking to disregard religion, all you have to do is look around. Hell, even the scriptures don't make any sense that they require interpretation.
But it's madness about one who absolutely does not believe in it is so willing to constantly discuss it in a place that has Zero effect on those that do.

Are you sure it's not faith based too?

If people were trying to get Leprechaun worship in public schools I'd talk a lot more about Leprechauns.

Well, that is what you would think, but we now have a lot of "Atheists" who still crave religion, and so they treat Atheism as a religion. We even have Atheist prayers and churches.

It ain't like in the old days when the only Atheists were hardcore.

oiften they cling to there politics or even eating habits. It is addiction, the need to fill the unfillable hole in ourselves.

It's a toss up between sex or food.

No need to choose; both are, ahem, delicious. ?

@resserts indeed.

Atheism is a religion like like religion is a sound belief.

Atheism is a world view.

• Atheism is a religion like I'm a power forward for the Lakers.

I'm not is my point.

Okay, mine sucks but I stand by it.

Atheism is a religion like a fart is communication

If I fart on you... trust me... you will get my message.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:163632
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.