Agnostic.com

20 2

Caps (typing not hats)

How do you view words in all caps online?

Do you feel like you are being shouted at?
Do you consider it extra emphasis?

Do you even care?

Does it matter if it is a whole sentence or just a couple words here and there?

Crimson67 8 Aug 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

YES FEELS LIKE BEING YELLED AT !!!!!!.....but, if it is used in the proper way then it's a great resource to emphasize specifics within a sentence or even a short paragraph. Like everything else in life, probably not as good when/if overdone.(And I have just realized this is and old post that just came back into my notifications and there is a previous answer from me that confirms two things, one I am consistent and second, Alzheimer likes me more every day now !!!! ? )

It’s rude, and definitely shouting. I use italics, then bold, then underlined, then bold underlined.
Not caps, with the exception of a Chinese colleague of mine, based in Shanghai, who drives me mental - we have a very jokey love/frustration relationship.

Livia Level 6 Sep 9, 2018

It depends, some people always post in caps, due to reasons. I wouldn't read too much into it.
Unless, YOU ARE INTENTIONALLY SCREAMING!!!

all caps is universally viewed as shouting. i share the universal view. SOMETIMES it is extra emphasis, but NOT WHEN IT IS THE WHOLE SHEBANG. yep, i care. yes, it matters. i don't even use initial caps in informal writing, but that is partly a stylistic thing and partly the arthritis in my fingers (yes, it hurt to type those examples above).

g

If I say I despise caps then I would be lying, because I freaking hate them. Yes, it feels like screaming like a lunatic maniac in distress ???

@Crimson67 Just style and harmony wise, all caps is awful..... JUST STYLE AND HARMONY...agghh, can't ??

Makes no difference

All caps = yelling
One word here and there = emphasis added

It can help to make a written meaning clearer, if not overused! ALL CAPS is rude, and like screaming!

I will sometimes use them for emphasis if there is no italics or bold option.

I use them when I want to SHOUT! 😀

The few times I do use them, I use them for plain text emphasis when formatting (bold, italics, underline) aren't available.

But the key to emphasis is to use it lightly so that it retains its impact when it is used. Too much will inure to the reader.

ALL CAPS ALL THE TIME IS HARD TO READ AND I WOULD HATE TO DO THAT TO ANYONE.

And I laughed when I went back to read a post I made just before this one....and I had used caps to emphasis a contrast between two clauses....think I have capped my cap use for the day.

I tend to not care, because for years I had to write police reports which were required to be all caps for some strange reason that was never fully explained.
I do however love parenthesis (its like my own inner voice talking).

I use them as emphasis or as shouting.

Look for curse words if you're unsure which it is for me lol

Yes, I feel the person is shouting if they type everything in caps. I use caps for emphasis.

I don't like it when people use it for emphasis, that's just annoying. It's like they're screaming that specific word at me. Locate the asterisk and use it.

It's just annoying. Hate is a little strong.

I prefer to use boldface or italics for emphasis.

JimG Level 8 Aug 26, 2018

It does not bother me one way or another. I often capitalize words to ACCENT their importance or meaning.

context matters, but lots of caps seems to indicate anger.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:164084
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.