Agnostic.com

5 0

Who had been the best President of the USA ever and why?

#USA
POLdibujitos 3 Aug 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My one and only answer to this question is now and will always be Washington.

Before term limits, before any such precedent, our fledgling country needed a president. Washington could have been a king. He could have been a tyrant. He could have reigned for life.

But he didn't, he was our Cincinnatus. We owe everything to that man.

For other answers I would make caution: Be careful of reverse morality. Society evolves. Jefferson, for instance, was no less of a man or president because he owned slaves. We cannot cast our morality, our ethics, backward in time. There would be no great men (or women) left.

Obama he was always playful and kind could always talk in sentences wasn't unkind very human man (that I could see) Obviously didn't see that much of him from over the pond but he seemed very genuine

He was a decent, well-meaning man of integrity, but rather too heady and aloof-seeming for his own good ... always trying to stay "above the fray" caused some people to see him as snooty, and that was crazy-making especially for those who hated the idea of an "uppity" you-know-what in office.

Ultimately as much as there was to admire about him, he was a disappointment to me though. He seemed too uneven -- almost random -- in asserting himself. He has continued his "above the fray" vibe in the face of Trump's assaults on democracy and human dignity, which in my view should have overridden the convention of former presidents staying out of their successor's affairs. Instead he posts photos on social media of wind surfing with playboys like Richard Branson while the nation burns; almost joyfully uncaring of the "optics". He was, toward the end of his second term, increasingly a creature of the elitist wing of the Democratic Party, which has a lot to do with Trump eking out a victory in the 2016 election. For all his idealism, his neglect of / indifference to his role as defacto leader of the DNC, his leaving unseemly cronies in charge of it, and other lapses helped feed many of the problems that led to Trump's victory. Also ... there was that drone strike program, the rising levels of deportations of immigrants, and other morally questionable things that tainted his legacy.

Close, but no cigar, I'm afraid. Most of the good he did is now undone and plowed under.

@mordant I guess we only see very small parts of what is going on in the U,S (and indeed any other country) and very difficult because of the difference in our political arenas. It is rather sad to me that he wasnt what I imagined him to be but Hey Ho, Ours are worse at the moment! Thanks for that info. Get it!

@jacpod Yes, I think many Americans are totally unfamiliar with your election system where elections don't necessarily happen on a regular schedule and power is shared by more than two parties. If they would really look at it for more than ten seconds I think they'd like it. There's a thing called Duverger's Law that says that a 3rd political party can never win national elections in a system like ours and it has not only held true so far but is one of the few dictums in politics that's considered an ironclad law. The Republican party may well self-immolate over Trump, but that's the ONLY way a new party (whether in name or not) will ever be able to take its place.

And this is a big part of our problem. You have two ingrown parties floating crappy candidates, which produces both polarization and apathy about voting. Trump's election is the ultimate expression of that; he won basically because of outside influence, voter suppression and the Democrats putting up a very weak / uninspiring candidate with appeal pretty much only to centrist / elitist Democrats. I voted for her, but held my nose when I did it. If Bernie Sanders had been the Democratic nominee, he would have been the first President in my lifetime that I was genuinely excited to support. In fact his is the first campaign I worked in and donated to. And I'm 61. That says something, and not about me, about the system.

In your multi-party coalition system, for any given voter, there is always, or at least more often, a "Bernie" to root for, even if you don't always win and even if when you do win, it's generally not "winner take all". I think that encourages interest and participation in politics by average people at levels we Americans can only imagine.

It's one thing for us to say that voting is a civic duty, but we have also made it a pointless chore.

Well, the best former president ever is Jimmy Carter. After leaving office he still brokered peace agreements, and has spent most of hsi retirement building homes for poor people. Had the Reagan political campaign not interfered with the Iranian hostage negotiations, he may very well have been reelected. Reagan agreed to sell weapons to terrorists in exchange for the hostages, which broke all tradition of never negotiating with terrorists. Since then the terrorists have only been emboldened by Reagan's conce3ssion.

From I have learned keccedy was pretty good, but he was killed before my memory kicked in. So, I really couldn't say he was the best.

If I had to go on what I learned form books, I'd have to say Maddison. He wrote the U.S. constitution, and as president he actually went into the firld and led troops during the Was of 1812. He supported the separation of church and state, evn though he was a devout Christian. Ironically he thought government would corrupt Christianity, while Jefferson thought ti woudl be the other way around. Recent events seem to indicate Jefferson to be more correct.

Every president seen as "great" all had their flaws. Lincoln may have freed the slaves, but that was mre of a pragmatic decision to weaken the South during the Civil War. In his speeches he still seemed to believe that blacks were inferior.

FDR, saw that gettign otu of th depression would take a long time, and the best way to get things moving was to put peopel to work in publicd works, so money would start circulating, which was needed to grow the economy. However he also engineered for Japan to attack us to bring us into WWII. His strtegy was nto so much to stop Mazis, as it was to create U.S. Supremacy in the world. His greatest gift to the U.S. the was bringing the working poor into the middle class.

Modern republican policies have been shrinking the middle class, form Reagan on forward. The problem with that is the middle class is the consumer base. Once they no longer have discretionary money and rejoin the ranks of the working poor, demand dries up. You cant' sell products or services if people don' have the money to buy them. That is why income disparity and inequality is such a concern for progressives. At soem point we will lose a critical mass of the middle class, and enter another great depression if things keep going on the wy they have been. Trump has accelerated this. He is by far the worst and mos tcorrupt president we have ever had.

I admire Carter for the public work he continues to do , since his Presidency .

Thomas Jefferson my first choice his intellectual capacity outweighed every president. Richard Nixion who had a160 IQ might have close to Jefferson. Jefferson and Ben Franklin wrote just about all of the Constitution.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:164875
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.