Agnostic.com

3 0

Is there any sickness the Bible can't justify?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

All of them. Making claims after the fact to try to boost a person's invisible god's status is about all the bible does. That isnt' really justification so much as it is creting new fiction.

There is no harm that can't be justified or rationalized Biblically, no. Like all holy books, the Bible is sufficiently vague to be interpreted in the light of whatever society, subgroup and epoch needs its "guidance".

So to the point of the article, yes, a pedophile can see justification for sex with a 12 year old because in the Bible, 12 year olds are, in fact, of marriageable age. More "enlightened" believers will use the Bible to justify love, compassion and empathy and equality from the Bible, and will use that to override (or paper over) the fact that the Bible considers child brides a routine thing.

All illnesses are down to "sin" or evil spirits so the bible is fine with this. Although hearing voices and visual hallucinations seem to be fine.

True enough, but what about this?

And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth. And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him. - John 9:1-3.

What on earth are we to make of his disability existing so 'that the works of God should be made manifest in him'?

@brentan
That shows the contradictions that are in the bible. "Through one man sin was passed down and so all have sinned " this in itself is another contradiction.

This is the dilemma. When I first started suspecting the Bible, I used to read a lot about translations of words that change the meaning, and addition and subtractions to the text. Later, I was more interested in what I call 'conceptual contradictions' for want of a better term.

@brentan
The other contradiction from what I quoted is that Mary was born without sin . Then in Roman's 3:23 "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God ". The bible is wrong in every way possible. Rife with internal contradictions, gets all of the science wrong. Written by superstitious men in the bronze age.

So true. The RCC, that I was born into, had to give her an immaculate birth because of the contradiction. I used to think that meant she never had sex! But I never looked into the argument they gave for saying she was not born sinful and I'll bet it is very strange.

@brentan
I think that the "virgin birth " is in Isiah and is quoted in the NT. I was born in to a Catholic family but it never stuck. I became a Jehovah witness and that lasted about two years. That was many years ago, I have been an atheist since I quit the JW cult.

Well that's a coincidence. I was a JW for 15 years before becoming an atheist. Hello, ex-brother!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:165827
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.