Agnostic.com

73 13

Happily single—or not?

I know there are plenty of single people in this community, but I’m curious to know how happy everyone is about being single.
For instance I’m happily single, because I treasure my time alone and my freedom. However, I sometimes miss having a partner to share my day with.
What do you like/not like about being single?

RoadGoddess 7 Jan 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

73 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm happily single and have spent most of my life unattached, I'm comfortable with my solitude and independence, but I think life can be more interesting and fulfilling in a relationship. I miss the intimacy and company but most of all an intellectual connection and shared values, which are the hardest to find.

I've been single quite a few years now but not alone, I have a teenager to keep me on my toes. I like not having anyone to answer to honestly. I'm also quite the idiot magnet so yeah, I'm probably going to stay single a while and that is quite alright with me right now.

Being single sucks!

I enjoy it . . . Except when I don't.

Happy and free to be happy.

I'm often alone but never lonely.

I miss cuddling.

I love being single. Most all of it is by choice. I don't have the time, patience, and don't want the added responsibility of a relationship. The only things I find myself missing are sex, and once in a blue moon I'll wish I had somebody to share an experience with.

I.e - I went to a concert the other weekend and I remember standing there just wishing I had somebody there to share it with. Those instances are rare, but they happen none the less.

I think being single would be better than unhappily married.
I'd like to think I could have friends for hanging out and even physical friendship.

I'm alone the past 2 years for the first time in over 25. I was only married for 13 years but had kids in my home for many more. The first winter was very hard. I, like you, have found that I treasure my alone time, my quiet, my freedom. If someone happens upon my path who fits nicely into my world, then that would be lovely. If not, I have friends, family, work and hobbies that keep me busy and happy.

I miss having someone to do things with.
To teach me stuff, to learn my stuff.
I miss having someone to pamper.
To take care of me, and I to pamper them.

I don't miss drama, fights, and misunderstandings, unfulfilled expectations. I miss having someone a partner in crime and a confidant. I hate sleeping alone. I hate cooking for one and eating out alone. I refuse to go to the movie theater solo so I miss a lot of movies

A lot of you have said you're happy being single. does that really mean you've simply embraced it as a life-style? happier single than with a companion who cares for and about you? closing your heart to possibilities? is there room in your life for dating while giving each other a lot of space? without living together?

Both, actually. I suddenly found myself single seven years ago at the death of my wife, so this situation was not my choice. However, over that seven years, I have not only become accustomed to the freedom my single status affords, but I've come to embrace it. Sure, I wouldn't mind a traveling buddy for my road trips, and getting laid occasionally might be nice, but I wonder if it's worth giving up the freedom. The hole in my life has a specific shape to it, it seems.

I’m not a fan. I was married for 5 years, and it was, at least for me, a good marriage. We talked almost every day, and not just about how our day was, but about every aspect of life, every thought we had. We always talked out our issues and made sure to let the other person know how special they were to us. Looking back, I might have idealized it all, and in reality, we were holding each other back. She never got to live a certain life because she was a Christian (we both were before our marriage, but we talked each other out of it), and I can now live healthy, waste as little as is feasible for me, and try to make the biggest impact I can on humanity in improving well-being through a lot of scheduling and hard, mostly unpaid, work. And when I accomplish a goal related to my plans, in those moments, it’s worth it. Most people aren’t about this life, so single is the default position for me. Still, I would trade it for what I had before, and I know because I almost did, but luckily (or not) the decision wasn’t in my hands.

But I see some relationships, and I’m like “goddamn, being single isn’t THAT bad.”

I can look after myself fine but find the single life wearisome and joyless. It is not mainly about not having anybody to fall back on (though as all my relatives except my son are long dead that is a nuisance), it is more about not having anyone to share the good bits with. Cooking a fantastic meal when you don't get to share it with good company is just not the same, and as I told a psychologist once "Sex is much better with someone else in the room." (poor woman almost had a heart attack.)

Kimba Level 7 Jan 20, 2018

Absolutely love being single. I can walk or run to the beat of my own drum. Thou I am not opposed to another relationship at all just not actively pursuing it. If it happens awesome!

I was single for 15 years. It was great to wake up on the weekend, drink a cup of coffee and decide "I'm going to the mountains", or "I'm going for a run, or a ride" and not having to discuss it, or make sure my wife didn't make different plans. I was happy most of that time. With that said, I was always looking for someone when I was single. It was never any fun (for me) eating alone, or going to a movie alone. Some things are better shared. I enjoy being married, but for different reasons than I enjoyed being single. I never have to look for a dinner date, or a movie date. I have one built in. They both have their pluses.

im the same as you. I like being able to do what I want when I want in my own space and I love the lack of arguments and pointless misunderstandings. I miss conversations, cuddles, fucking, making love going out for a meal or to go for a day out and the closeness. and understanding. I always got on best with the opposite sex when they were just my friends or lived in their own house. I would ideally want a very good friend with benefits which doesn't mean just sex by a long way.

Yes and no

I make what I can from life, I wouldn't say I am happy that I am single, and feel I would be closer to happiness if I was in a good relationship. I am not unhappy with my life. I really enjoy intimacy with a lady, more so in a relationship. I do more when I have someone to do things with.

About the same really. Generally quite a happy person single or otherwise. I sometimes miss being able to share things but there are plenty of advantages to being onyour own.

These days I compromise by keeping my partner locked up in a cupboard.... 🙂 just kidding, honest!

Well, I am comfortable being alone and going out in public on my own. I’m not a loner though. I grew up in a big family so that has some effect. It’s been awhile since I’ve not been single, which explains why I’m here.

I've been a widower for 2 years and I really miss everything about her. Making love whenever we wanted, we were very compatible in that way. Being able to talk things over and share each others thoughts and ideas. Being able to touch one another and I loved walking up to her and putting my arms around her and kissing her on her neck. We were sensual, sexual, and very much in love even after 49 years. When we were apart I would hurry to wherever she was because I couldn't wait to see her. And it was still exciting when I did see her. I think that is what love is all about. I miss her but I have to go on and that is what she would have wanted. I still have lots of love and passion and would like to share it with the right woman. Happily single? Everyone has made very relevant points about being happily single however I think it would be hard to say no if the right one comes into your life.

Mostly. But, my friends often joke that I'll never be in a relationship again. And even I figure sometimes:
Really, all ya need is someone to come over to hang out with, cook dinner with, and do something sexual with 4 days a weeks.
Kinda bums me out sometimes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16691
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.