Agnostic.com

30 3

What was your favorite television show when you were young? If you've had the chance to watch it recently, were you a little disappointed? Which shows have stood the test of time?

twitch 6 Jan 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When I was young my favourite show was The Young Riders....Ohhhh how I loved that show.
Then after that Seinfeld and Friends ( To which I have seen every episode of at least 10 times because they still play it everyday!) Those shows never disappoint me.

Sacha Level 7 Jan 20, 2018

Friends, Seinfeld, Frazier but I was already grown so I did not included them. Well written tv for adult audience with awesome characters. You got good taste. Yes Lady.

"Grizzly Adams" I think, haven't seen it since, but don't think I would be disappointed.

I loved that show! I was bummed when Dan Haggerty died recently, everyone at work was like, "Grizzly WHO?" 😉

Adventures in Paradise. Bought the series on DVD recently. It was comically poor production quality.

skado Level 9 Jan 20, 2018

Adam McKay loved him

I don't think they stood the test of time. Look at star trek, except the communications officer bluetooth device. Who will think? But once I got on sports... that was all I cared for. I don't watch sports anymore... except my Jaguars going to the AFC championship game going against the current Number Legend in american team sports. I don't want to hear analysis of the situation on the field I know the sport. Some I don't ever watch at all like boxing. Despite having been so dear to me at youth. Our maturity changes everything, we are people of the world now. I never been that loyal to anything. Or watched faithfully tv shows. Music I digged. Music I like always been the same. Does not changes. That is different.

Lost in Space. Watched series recently on DVD and i still like it. And I always liked the theme music also.

Theme music was written by John Williams (yes! THAT John Williams...the one who did the music for Star Wars, etc.). He also did the themes for 'Time Tunnel' and 'Land of the Giants'

When I was a teenager I loved the show solid gold. I wanted to be on solid gold when I got older. Because of that show I did become a dancer however not on TV. If I look back on it all I feel is nostalgia. I just wish Dionne Warwick would have shut up. That woman couldn't sing for shit.

Warwick's original stuff from the early 70s was great. Top forty quality. But she did later turn into a dick.

Loved Layla on Solid Gold. Former dancer too.

We certainly have been spoiled with better cinematography, editing, audio, and in many cases better acting! It's an industry that has followed technology quite closely.

There was a number of sci-fi kids shows done with (by?) "Supermarionation". They were all string puppets... Fireball XL-5, Stingray, Thunderbirds, Supercar... I was about 7 or so. I was enthralled, yet knowing they were puppets. They're responsible for my love of sci-fi fantasy. Watch them now on Youtube, and I just laugh. It's a genre impossible to reproduce these days without spoiling the "look".

So you may had seen the movie made over a decade ago... Team America: world police about an outfit protecting america from oriental enemies and very reactionary, making fun of the hollywood left. All I remember was in the theme song the words "america, fuck yeah". And the puppet hero contemplating suicide in a bar with a hammer.

I'll check it out @GipsyOfNewSpain

@Hominid Team America: world police came out in 2004. just like Thunderbird. But modern, current days anti arab, anti korea, anti hollywood left. .

@Hominid one scene in the bar.

@Hominid

@GipsyOfNewSpain - oh gawd...........

@Hominid Wait till you see the movie... specially the Korean dictator singing "I'm so lonely".

@GipsyOfNewSpain - I just finished it. The love scene just slayed me - haven't laughed like that in a while - thanks for sharing!

@Hominid I didn't wanted to bring that up but for us grown ups seeing our childhood heroes on a different grown up light cussing and making love and just being adults... I thought it was great to see. And the way things are right now is like was released last week. And you welcome friend glad you enjoyed it, because I sure did.

My all time fav was Twilight Zone.
It still is..and I love till this day..

@AMGT
I love it due to its orginaliry and story line..the one with Bill Shatner in the cafe still creeps me out..

One Step Beyond too.

@sassygirl3869
One Step Beyond scared the crap out of me..

me too-especially about the survivor of the Titantic-she wakes up 50 yrs later-ugh

Wow, I remember faithfully watching Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color on a black and white TV. First time I saw it in color, my little mind blown. I'd love to see an episode of Ozzie and Harriot. Loved the old cartoons. Still like them. Little Rascals and the 3 stooges. The Ed Sullivan Show, Bonanza, Tarzan movies. Then came Laugh In and All in the Family and the Carol Burnett Show and the Smothers Brothers. Must see TV back then. McCale's Navy, F-Troop, Bat Man, the Fugitive, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Twilight Zone. I could go on Lots of good shows back then. Mash, Cheers. Many (not all) stand the test of time...and then there was the game shows. Concentration, Password, Jeopardy, and my favorite, Hollywood Squares.

not a show but a film. THE THING 1982 is my favourite film of all time for many reasons and yes it still stands the test of time easily.

I Love Lucy. I think its why I'm such a goofball. And I did watch it recently. No, it was just as funny as ever.

it depends how young you are talking about. Pre-school I used to love "Watch With Mother" on the BBC. These were shows that were about 10 minutes long and had The Wooden Tops, Bill and Ben, Andy Pandy and Picture Book.

My favourite though, was always Rag, Tag and Bobtail. Which I suppose probably has something to do with my love of nature and wildlife. I had a quick look on youtube and I reckon it would still be relevant to young children today.

As a teenager though, it has to be Monty Python. And no, never disappointed with re-runs!

Star Trek. And, yes, it’s kind of silly now.

Yes but to me Captain Kirk will always be my Captain. No one could replace Spock.

It always fascinated me how much they could do with such a small budget (think of the scenery of most of the planets: a few rocks and dead plants, and a red sky in the background...especially noticeable in the 'OK Corral' episode). I wonder if they ever came across the 'Lost in Space' crew...Their planets looked the same, too...

It was probably the same set. @twitch

batman. just a hair corny now

Off the scale for its kitsch value, though...same for the original Star Trek. When I was young, my sisters and I would watch Batman and my father would say the sound effect bubbles during the fight scene! Even as a kid I could never understand why the henchmen were always old men, or why they all wore name tags...

Wild Kingdom, Hogan’s Heroes, Carol Burnett Show, Hee Haw but only for the whole where oh where are you tonight...

Wonder Woman, Good Times, Taxi, and of course, the Muppet Show 😉

I sorely miss variety shows (Sonny and Cher, Flip Wilson, Carol Burnett...). Hee-Haw was a gem, and sometimes I'll watch the reruns just to see the musical guests. This is what I think of as country music; classic stuff like Charlie Pride, Conway Twitty, Donna Fargo... On my radio show the only country I play is from the 1950s-70s. After that, everything seems to be twangy rock music...I described Hee-Haw to a friend of mine (who had never seen it) as "Think of 'Laugh-In' if it had been filmed in Iowa instead of California"...

Alf, Mork and Mindy, Mash. Liked Alf because of the nuances back then like it now because of the sarcastic comments. Mork and Mindy was genuine humor and that in today's tv it is hard to find. Mash The excitement of solving a complex problem with a aspect of humor. Humor applied in our lives makes a solution to a dismal problem more tolerable.

BONANZA and In the heath of the Night.

I watched Bonanza in Spanish (black and white / color) and then in English in USA

SAME! My dad was stationed at the Air Force Base in Spain. We watched Bonanza in Spanish (Black and White) and it was so funny to me as a child.

@JustLuAnn Rota?

@DUCHESSA Sorry even though I lived in Spain in my youth. I did not retain the language.

@JustLuAnn Rota, which means "broken", is the name of the city in Sapin where the American Military base is located.. In a sense is OK you didn't retain the language....the accent from Spain is horrible.

First, i never controlled the tv until adulthood. My favorite show was Dennis the Menace with Jay North. I have never seen an episode! My parents said I already did the things he did and didn't need new ideas. So they deprived me, and I was anxious to grow up and watch reruns. Only they have never shown reruns on any channel I could find. I'm still deprived. As a teen it was Get Smart and Laugh-In, again, I didn't control the remote.

I always felt sorry for Mr. Wilson.

Batman. The old one with Adam West

If it's the one with the 'sound effects' written up on the screen Oh yes. That would be the worlds greatest comedy TV series. The story line and the acting were hilarious

Loved "The Batman Movie", which included his top four villains. The new Batman movies have ruined my childhood memories of Batman and Robin sinking in a giant cake made of quicksand (um, exactly how did the cake stay together?) and geriatric henchmen with nametags...

The adam West tv show was just to corny for me

The Phil Silvers show, Superman, Twilight zone, outer limits, gunsmoke and , Bonanza. All but the twilight zone seem really Corney now. But nostalgia keeps me watching, Now I laugh at all of them due to the observed plots and bad acting.

Definitely, 'The Twilight Zone' has stood the test of time (I live in Binghamton, NY...home of Rod Serling. He is still revered here). Besides the obvious great writing, I like to watch it to see the Hollywood-types early in their career.

6 gun play house. Every morning watching Roy Rogers one day and Gene Autry the next day. What screwed me up one time is that they had a gun fight while chasing each other on horses. Then they jumped in a motorboat and started chasing each other... I said WHAT THE HELL IS THIS..lol.

As a small child it was Little House on the Prairie, Grizzly Adams, The Brady Bunch, Tom and Jerry, the Flintstones, and Looney Tunes....those shows are nostalgic enough for me; I don't think they would be disappointing; though I do not revisit them. Took my own kids to watch Looney Tunes on a projector; at a groovy little coffee shop; on Saturday mornings; about 10 years ago and it was just awesome 🙂

I later remember being around 8, and my morning routine was to make myself some oatmeal, and then plop on the floor to watch I Love Lucy, I Dream of Jeannie, and Bewitched. When the Waltons came on I needed to leave for school 🙂 Haven't revisited those either....

Loved the Dukes of Hazard, Knightrider, and BJ and the Bear. Pretty sure the corny factor would apply here.

I also remember being completely hooked on Dark Shadows and Tales From the Darkside.

Looney Tunes will always be awesome, but, of course they go back to the 40s and 50s. Still a huge fan.

My childhood tv shows have not stood the test of time: I Dream of Jeannie, Gilligan's Island, and Love Boat. Music, fashion and social values have advanced making the past look and sound naive and infantile.

Bewitched. I loved that show as a kid. As an adult I watched it again. I like some of the story lines, but I have to admit, the writing back then was so horrible.

That being said, I still love Red Dwarf from the BBC. It seem almost funnier now than when I was a kid. (Of course I get more of the humor now.)

Bewitched came along a bit later for me. I always wanted to twitch my nose like Samantha. She was another funny character. I guess my role models for who I am are Lucy, Samantha, and Mary Tyler Moore. LOL

For a long time I used to wish that I was Adam (her son). I wanted her to be my mom. But I was a little freaked out about Darrin, though. He just suddenly up and changed and I didn't know how to process that.

So, having read this thread. Do you all feel, as I do, that what we watched as a child helped to form who we are as adults? I think in my case it did as I must have been searching for role models as a child due to my circumstances as a child.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16745
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.