Agnostic.com

10 2

In regards to the Creation myth, Man was made in God's image so why would God specifically pick the Homosapien out of all the human species that have evolved and existed over time? This is a point that I try to make with my believer friends. What are your thoughts?

MissPrism 3 Jan 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

God inserted weird bones as he was creating the planet to test the faith of his flock. Seriously, giving up faith has got to be like giving up the hardest of addictions. Thankfully, I've always been theistically challenged so I don't know.

Perhaps it has nothing to do with man's physical appearance at all, but instead his capacity to know and understand, and his ability to choose, of his own volition, what he does with his knowledge and understanding.

@Megjewel sure, I’ll give it a go.

The human being is the only species on this planet that is capable of thinking in the abstract, that has the ability to imagine and invent, to discover and comprehend the realities of things and to create great works of art, music and literature. But above all, we have the ability to choose how we will act in the world.
We have great capacity for kindness, empathy, justice, charity, forgiveness and love etc. We also have great capacity for cruelty, injustice, prejudice, greed, indifference etc. These opposing characteristics are often referred to as man’s “higher” and “lower” natures.
By my understanding it is this higher nature that is meant by “God’s image”. The lower nature arises from the ego and attachment to the material world.

The first beings on the Earth were bacteria microorganisms, weren't they? Did "God" make them in his image? Is God a transformer? Lol

In Genesis 1:3—2:4, the first story of creation, God creates the Earth, and the animals and finally humankind. Very little fanfare is made over the creation of humankind. In fact, there’s really no separation between them. Genesis 1:26-27 puts it succinctly: “Then God said, ‘Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.’ So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.”

This brings up some questions.

First of all, who is “us”? Who was God talking to and what did he mean by “image” since God apparently doesn’t have an image?

The second question is, “Who is man?” The verse says that “God created man in his image,” and then goes on to say “male and female he created them.” The author doesn’t tell us if both Adam and Eve were created in the image of God, or if Adam was in the image of God, and Eve was in the image of Adam. Is the author of the first creation story saying that man and women were created at the same time and both in the image of God? Or is it making the case that Adam was both male and female starting out and then somehow separated by God? How did God create the female in this story and what was the timeline?

If God did create Adam and Eve (men and women) in his image, at the same time, then is God a hermaphrodite, so that both men and women looked like him in one way or another. The first author 🖼 is fairly nondescript.

In the second creation story, Genesis 2:4—25 God (YHWH), forms Adam first, before anything else. “And no shrub of the field had yet appeared on the earth and no plant of the field had yet sprung up, for the LORD God had not sent rain on the earth and there was no man to work the ground, but streams came up from the earth and watered the whole surface of the ground - the LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.”

YHWH, goes on to create a garden (Eden) for Adam to live in. in the middle of the garden, he places two trees: the Tree of Life, and the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.

Almost immediately after Adam is in the garden, YHWH starts to rethink creation. In the first story of creation, Elohim ended every creative session (each day) with the phrase “and God (Elohim) saw that it was good.” That is not how YHWH felt after creating Adam. In fact, the first thing out of his mouth was: “The LORD God said, ‘It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.’”

With Adam in the garden, and the foliage created, YHWH comes to the conclusion that Adam needs a helper, or help-mate. So, in an effort to come up with the perfect helper, he goes on to form all the animals. Once he’s finished, he brings them to Adam one-by-one for Adam to name. When Adam is done naming the animals, YHWH determines that none of them are really suitable as a helpmate for Adam. That’s when he puts Adam to sleep, pulls out one of his ribs, and creates a counterpart, which Adam names, “Woman.”

No sooner did YHWH create Eve, when she finds herself hanging out near the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, and meets a serpent. The serpent advises her to go ahead and eat the fruit, which she does, and then takes some to Adam.

One of the many ironies of this story is what the food represented… knowledge. What could possibly be wrong with knowledge?

The biggest irony, though, was their state of dress. Their eyes were open and they saw that they were naked. Was it a sin to be naked? If so, why did God create them naked? Is it only a sin to be naked if you know you’re naked? They saw themselves as they were, in their purest state, in their ‘innocence,’ and they were ashamed.

To the point though, the second creation story makes it very clear that God didn’t have any particular “helpmate” in mind, and that Eve was kind of an afterthought. Therefore, it wasn’t ever in the mind of God that it would be man and women. It was in the mind of God that MAN needed a helpmate.

All you really need to do is ask them to reconcile their own creation stories.

I don't think it'll work, any point that includes even an inkling of science falls apart at the first hurdle; they don't care about it.

Good luck with that argument. I think most creationists don't believe that there have ever been more than one "human" species.

Australopithecus, neandethal, cro magnon--those are all either Satan's inventions to deceive us or not 'human'. It doesn't fit with their narrative.

so if man is created in Gods image (physical matter) then and how was god created (it will be like the hen or the egg which comes first). and that won't be a good argument for a spiritual god.

Ewket Level 4 Jan 20, 2018

What are all the other human species out there? I can think of only one.
But why not dolphins, porpoises, killer whales ?

In their opinion, the rest of these are mythology therefore, your point is invalid.

Duke Level 8 Jan 20, 2018

My theory is man invented god to apeas the fears of the unknown.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16803
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.