Agnostic.com

6 0

Raising atheist children

What have your experiences been while raising kids in the bible belt? My boys are quit vocal about their lack of religion and they have been ostracized and criticized by more adults than children. I find it disturbing that so many adults are okay with trying to break down my children.

Rckmom 4 Jan 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I raised all 4 of my children Catholic in the south as I was raised. Now my 2 youngest are grown and living in a more progressive state they're both agnostic theists but much to the consternation of the rest of my family. They visit every year and observe how unaccepting, critical, and judgemental people can be here regarding religious beliefs/tolerance.

I got so enraged at one parent trying to convert my children that I told her children that god wasn’t real. They seriously cried to their mother. She was furious with me. Started yelling and I just couldn’t stop laughing the entire time.

That's a correct response.

LOL I bet that was entertainment gold!

For that, you're my hero!

You're kids are out there challenging peoples belief systems, most folks have invested heavily in that belief it creates cognitive challenges for them

We're all born atheist. I just haven't introduced my son to religion. He's only five. We'll see which direction he moves on his own when he's older. Having said that, I wouldn't dream of raising him in the former Confederate States of America. I honestly think it's a backwards place and would be third-world in its development were it not for being subsidized by the rest of America.

For me, I focused on the critical thinking. Not that I hid my opinion, I just felt it was important for them to figure out there own ideas about life, the universe, and everything. They all currently identify on the uh...non-believer spectrum as it were 🙂

This was my method as well. All of my boys have been to church either on their own or with friends. I never encouraged one way or the other. By around 14 years old all of them were identifying as atheist while I am a happy agnostic.

Just goes to show that bigotry and bias are not inborn. Children are naturally more open minded.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16806
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.