Agnostic.com

20 15

Engagement Photos- a Millennial trend?

My only daughter Claire, 28, is getting married on September 15. We love Matt, her fiance', who is five years older.

Matt surprised Claire on New Year's Eve with a proposal at the Seattle Space Center at midnight. They have lived together for four years. Bought a house together.

To my surprise, Claire and Matt had engagement photos taken in Discovery Park, Seattle.

This generation grew up with every life event photographed by their parents. Most are children of divorce. They are getting married later.

Has this made them more sentimental? Are engagement photos a millennial trend?

The photos are lovely. A great idea!

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nice!
Yup. According to online articles, engagement photos are part of a Millennial trend in revised wedding traditions.

Link: Changing The Game - Millennial Engagement Trends That Both Surprise and Delight [mosaictraveler.doralarrowwood.com]

@birdingnut

Thank you for the link on millennial engagement trends. That's what I thought.

I proposed to Claire's dad. He was so nervous, I kept the wedding low-key.

I forgot flowers. The morning of our wedding, Terry ran to Safeway and got a bunch of carnations for me to hold. We laughed.

My mother was in charge of photos for the reception. Terry and I threw a catered, backyard party for 90 friends and family. FUN.

It took my mother two weeks to get up the nerve to tell us she forgot to put film in her camera. We immediately forgave her. Our wedding was a comedy of errors.

@LiterateHiker Spending your effort and money on the catered party was the BETTER choice. Ceremonies have always annoyed me, so I had in inexpensive, destination wedding with a few close friends and family on the beach of a national bird sanctuary island in FL. I designed/sewed my wedding dress to be used for ballroom dancing for years.

The pic shows me wearing that dress in 2003.

@birdingnut

Beautiful dress and color! Well done.

This is the mother-of-the bride dress I sewed for Claire's wedding. Will wear my mother's pearls, beige suede sandals and nude nylons.

A hair stylist will put my hair up in a French twist. I have been growing out the layers.

For once in my life, I hope to look elegant. HA!

@LiterateHiker Great dress!

@birdingnut

Thank you!

Not a new trend. I remember people doing it when I was younger. The photos are amazing. Beautiful couple! And post some wedding photos when it happens! For someone who will never get married againg I love weddings!

@GreatNani

Thank you!

Are you sure, not me, but are you sure?

@starwatcher-al sure that I don't want to get married again? Yes.

@GreatNani Aww, I'll check with you in 10 years.

Excellent photos. =] My niece is getting married in October. She is obsessing over every detail of the wedding and personally handmade all of the invitations. There is a photo chronicle of her engagement too. She lives near Monterey, CA. Thanks for sharing this.

@IAMGROOT

Thank you so much.

I just noticed your name. That's awesome. I wonder how many people know what that is from.

I think it adds more to the life story than just the usual wedding photos. I think they're a great idea. Congratulations to your daughter and her fiancé.

@Captain747ex
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. You're right. It adds to their life story.

I treasure these photos.

@LiterateHiker You're welcome. Hopefully there will be many, many more photos to treasure.

I don't know but they are wonderful photos.

@gigihein

Thank you! My favorite photo is of Claire and Matt on the curving tree branch. They look so happy.

I have never heard my daughter laugh so much, as she does with Matt. They are constantly hugging each other. It's wonderful!

@LiterateHiker They are a beautiful couple.

Love the fireworks

Well I meant the picture of them framed in the fireworks

I remember people doing announcement photos when they got engaged. And if they wanted to be social about it, they'd have them printed in the local paper
This is just an evolution of that.

...and their friends and families got wallet sized copies.

Beautiful, LH. Really beautiful.

@Donwhy

Thank you. My favorite is the one of Claire and Matt on the curving branch. That photo is tender, playful and loving.

They are so pretty. The photos and the two loving birds.
You have a beautiful daughter. Great pictures.
I guess photography is so easy nowadays that any special event can be captured on a creative style.

@Zoohome

Thank you, dear!

Congratulations!!!

Wondeful pictures such a lovely couple.

Engagement photos have been a thing forever. You just don't go down to the local JC Penney photo studio to do them anymore.

GwenC Level 7 Aug 31, 2018

I recall seeing engagement photos in the local paper. It's nothing "new".
However, the whole destination photo thing is. To each, their own.

I think their winners, looks like a loving and caring couple. I would be proud. Thanks for the pictures, romance is not dead, but alive and well in Seattle.

Lovely photos but I think the photo shoot idea is just one more unnecessary expense—like giving guests parting gifts or having destination bachelorette parties. Start a retirement fund, put a down payment on a home, pay off student loans...

UUNJ Level 8 Sep 1, 2018

I don't know about trends, but if thats what they're feeling at the time then good for them.

I got married in 1996 and we did engagement photos, I believe they came with the wedding photo package. Mine were super cheesy and taken in a photo studio.

Nice photos. I especially understand the Space Needle fireworks. My new partner and I experienced this several times. BTW my daughter's birthday is Sept. 15th.

They seem darn silly to me. But hey, I’m old, and they’re having fun. Marriage should be a happy occasion to me. ?

I've seen a number of young people do the engagement photos - I think any time you can memorialize a happy time in your life with pictures, you should do it. One day they may be old and not remember what they had for breakfast - but I'll bet those photos will trigger memories...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:168248
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.