Agnostic.com

6 1

Isn't it time we set age or term limits on our Congress and Supreme Court

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, I believe that senators should serve no more than 3 terms, representatives no more than 6 terms, and supreme court justices no more than 15 - 20 years. As Thomas Jefferson said, The earth belongs to the living." He called for a complete change in government every 19 years.

I would have two terms for both house and senate and age 75 for Congress and the Supreme Court. It is my belief that these limits are necessary to be relative with the time and culture they are living in. Menbers could serve two terms each in both chambers as a max. Strong ethics requirements should be in place so there would not be any questions. The positions that allow members of Congress to do insider trading would be eliminated. Health and retirement saving should be the same for Congress as the rest of the population. Time away from the Congress would be strictly watched. Campaigns should be paid for with public funds and campaigning should be limited the 120 days before election.

We should have had term limits in place many years ago.

I feel that the more deeply our politicians are entrenched, the more likely they are to get cozy with special interests and take payoffs.

I suppose the Supreme Court could have an age cap, but the sitting president gets the pick of the replacement whether a judge leaves because of age, resigns, or dies.
None of that crap the Pub's pulled on Obama in his final year.

I'm not sure about age limits, but I'd like to see term limits. I'm tired of seeing ten-term senators who don't care about anything except retaining their seat. I'd be good with two consecutive terms for senators and four terms for representatives, with a maximum of maybe 14 years (plus enough to finish the final term if it extends beyond the 14th year) in Congress in total. But it will never happen.

Congress - no; because they must already be voted into their positions periodically. SCOTUS - definitely. no position should be for LIFE.

Yes-10 years for Congress and 10 years for Supreme Court. One decade is plenty.

Yep, and president too, no president should start first term after retiring age.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16831
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.