Agnostic.com

186 9

What are you most looking for in a relationship? Just your # 1 Thing

Just your #1 top pick
What is the most important quality in a partner? Is it a great sexual partner? Is it someone who can bring home a nice paycheck? Or is it something else?

ProudHeathen 5 Oct 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

186 comments (151 - 175)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Trust and respect. There is nothing worse than a fraud. Everything else is totally inconsequential.

Emotional maturity - which is an umbrella statement that encompasses other character traits of being...

Calmness and reason. The time I was with my son's mother taught me that I value being right more than supporting my partner unconditionally. Therefore, I need someone who can calmly discuss situations and bases their ideas and actions on evidence.

The number ! thing is honestly not much else matters if you do not trust the one you have nothing

Someone to actually love me and my personality.

Companionship, intimacy, fellowship, friendship, company, interesting conversation.....and.....sex

honesty,we can tell each other anything we want too

communication

My most important factor is physical touch. So, someone touchy/feely/cuddly.

Duke Level 8 Dec 23, 2017

Honesty

My BFF????????

Agreed. Friendship is the most important thing. If you aren't friends, it won't last.

trust

Sex is important. I have kinky interests, so someone who's vanilla wouldn't fulfill me enough.

Other than that, someone who complements me (not comPLIments, comPLEments) as far as hobbies, interests, sense of humor, and so on go. Someone who will take care of me as much as I'll take care of her.

I want someone I can fart in front of, take out to a nice Italian restaurant, and who'll get excited about a sci-fi movie festival.

Ego diminished. Intelligence, humour, curiosity and creativity expanded.

Well, the single most important criterion for me, right now, is material existence, i.e my partner kind of has to be... you know, real. That's the first thing. So far, it remains unfulfilled.

Can i make you laugh? Do you make me laugh?! Done!

A person who is genuine to him/herself. Someone who is able to think freely without caring about the opinions of others.

A partner that we can enjoy each other..

Communication.

skado Level 9 Dec 9, 2017

I taught college Interpersonal Communication for 18 years. The one aspect of communication that is used the most and taught the least is listening. It was difficult to get twenty-something's to quit thinking in the future or past and stay in the here and now. The spiritual teachings of mindfulness is another way to get there. It's the most interesting form of communication because people do it so poorly. What's your favorite form?

@EllenDale I agree, staying present and listening is half the game. I like the general attitude of Rosenberg’s NVC, but more specifically, I like the idea of building a conscious relationship through worldview sharing, humane conflict resolution, and negotiating heartfelt agreements. If both people are free to say what they want to express without undue emotional repercussion, and can build agreements they are happy to keep... seems like they could handle just about anything life might throw at them.

@skado NVC is almost 100% fake-free since its so difficult to control all of the physical and physiological reactions. Those in an intimate relationship inevitably can read each other like a good book, comforting, creatively, piercingly. It's a fascinating facet of communication.

@EllenDale Yes!

Humor!!! When it comes to a serious relationship... leave the "serious" behind and just have fun with each other. Other than that of course trust and friendship.

Just be attractive and not annoying and we'll get along forever. Haven't found this combination yet.

Physical Attraction (Thin Skinny Blonde)... is not the only important quality, but it is the first thing I look for because this is the quality that will keep me from searching for better options and it is easier to spot. Then comes the difficult parts: see who they are, their history, family relationship history, life stage and lifestyle, are they "Thankful" (secret to being happy), non-judgemental (secret for truth & honesty)... too many to list, maybe just looking for the unicorn. BTW, laughing with you is an indicator that she likes you a lot, especially if your jokes are really corny.

The ideal 'partner' is someone with whom safe, mutual vulnerability is possible.

robtx Level 4 Dec 3, 2017

A partner

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1688
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.