Agnostic.com

21 0

What is your definition of integrity?

Happyonearth 7 Sep 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Doing what you think is right. No matter what anyone else thinks. Making decisions that you can look back at and be proud.

@Matias self deception is something we should all strive to avoid. Deep down I would bet our POTUS knows he's a steamy pile of shit. Although who knows, maybe in his eyes he's a righteous dude.

Although Matias has a point.

@Happyonearth yes and no. I think it would only work if you have an intact moral compass. I hold myself to pretty stringent standards but I bet a sociopath would have a different take on that.

@Happyonearth reading this again I realized that it's unclear who the sociopath is in my statement. Trump, Hitler, Mussolini... Take your pick. I didn't mean to imply that you were the sociopath.

Integrity, to me, is giving your word and keeping it, doing your level best every day to be a good and honest person. Treating people with kindness and respect (until they show they don't deserve it- then you cut 'em loose with no remorse). Having
the courage to always do what is right, whether it's popular or not, and whether anyone sees it or not.
Being someone people know they can count on to always be forthright and trustworthy.

Honest, with strong principles.

There is a quote (attributed as are all web quotes to various people): Integritity is doing the right thing even if no one is watching. And I think that covers a key part of integrity - doing the proper thing regardless of consequence.

For me it is connected to Honor: my family, my ancestors,my heritage and my humanity. Im a simple woman and know what is right and my word is a bond unless you prove to be a liar, mysognistic, racist or just a dumb fuck. I know what I don't know

EvaV Level 7 Sep 1, 2018

Acting in accordance with your values.

Having and holding to strong ethical principles. Holding oneself to consistent standards. It's the foundation of dependability and reliability and truthfulness.

“The person of superior integrity
does not insist upon his integrity.
For this reason, he has integrity.
The person of inferior integrity
never loses sight of his integrity;
For this reason, he lacks integrity.”

― Lao-Tzu

That's why the dao that is can not be spoken, lol. Seriously, I get it.

Acting or refraining from acting; in accordance with one's chosen moral values/rule set; because it is the right/correct, action/inaction; regardless of whether any other person will ever find out that you did/didn't do it.

Something like that anyway...

Putting the Common Good above above ones own personal Good.

The apparently old fashioned philosophy of having pride and shame.

To have integrity is to do one's own thinking -- not to follow the popular myths, nor to follow religious leaders. Be the sovereign of your own mind.

To be honest, admit mistakes, and follow through when you make promises.

When a republican stands up to trump.

No, that would be a miracle, lol

Having actions which reflect an ethical and honorable spirit of concordance with promises made to yourself or others, which might include the golden rule, simply doing to others as you would wish them to do to you. Acting ethically and honorably, to be fair to others, even if it means you suffer the consequences of your actions. In a word: Selfless.

Your words flow in such a way that moves me, makes me appreciate that truly beautiful people still exist. Thank you

Same as the dictionary, I'm sure.

Actually, I'm looking for what that definition means to you. How is integrity defined personally. Surely you don't want Webster to do your thinking, lol

@Happyonearth Then that's what you should have asked.
I do not know this Webster you speak of, but if they don't try to redefine words for their own personal gain, they would all right in my book.

@Happyonearth l agree with her. There is no other definition.

@metalicious1986 Webster's dictionary, lol

I agree with you.

@Sticks48 Thanks!

@Happyonearth You missed the point COMPLETELY. #GetOnMyLevel

Being honest, honorable, and keeping your word.

Simple and profound

integrity is keeping the whole whole. if you are not true to yourself, you're not whole.

g

Being able to get up every morning and look into the mirror of life and say "Yes, I learned something Yesterday" and tomorrow will be as challenging with the same trials. Getting knocked down 7 times and getting back up for the 8th.

Integrity is the moral compass that guides you through life. From the way you treat people who can do absolutely nothing for you to the way you react when questioned. Most times I see the word "integrity", people only seem to think it means telling the truth but it's so much more than that. Integrity is everything about you.

"When forced to choose between life and integrity, life is not so important" -Hagakure

Follow through, do people hold you in high regard. Do people ask your advise knowing that you'll be honest. The universe knows.' What we do to today might be forgotten. The people you touch won't, and that's enough for me 🙂

Nice!

For me a person of integrity is one who acts according to to values they subscribe to / believe in. If you write down your values and look at your actions and if you see any discrepancy between the two, you've got a problem.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:168801
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.