Agnostic.com

25 5

Being judged

When i came out as an atheist to everyone i knew, i didn't get judged based on my appearance because I have long hair and a beard and I dress like a metal head I am a big fan of metal music, and most of the children in my high school judged me by calling me a race traitor because I wasn't into rap/hip hop. I embraced all the stereotypes by smiling and saying thanks which annoyed them, i found it hilarious, i still get judged for it, what advice would you give me that might help?

GodlessWahid666 5 Sep 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think smiling and saying thanks is a great way to handle those moments. That's how I handle it and it disarms people; they often don't know how to react to that. People are going to judge you no matter what you do...it is part of human nature. Just stay groovy and true to yourself. 😀

You are are the right path. Don't sweat the small stuff, focus on the important things in your life and move forward.

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions? He is not out of step. He merely marches to the beat of a different drummer. Each man should march to the beat of his own drum"

I learned a long time ago to "pick my fights carefully". I just let people think whatever they want to regarding my faith - or lack thereof.....after all, its not like I'm on some kind of mission to convert anyone.

My advice - shut up and stop using the phrase "when I came out". You decided that everyone needed to know your faith or lack thereof but had you just shut your mouth - no one likely would have cared. It's not a major event - it's not like coming out about one's sexuality and it doesn't need to be broadcast. I've never had an issue because I don't talk about it - I don't wear my non-theism on my sleeve - it's the least important decision or transition that I've ever made.

People are always going to judge. People who are critical tend to be very critical of themselves, so they often feel they have to put others down to lift themselves up. You be you, appreciate who you are, and you'll find the people who like you for you.

Treat others well and stay true to yourself.

You’re gonna be judged. Just don’t worry about it. Wgaf?

I've learned that judgmental people, generally speaking, aren't very happy with themselves, so they look for "flaws" in others to make themselves feel better about who they are. I avoid them as much as possible.

"To thine own self be true"

Be yourself and don’t heed other people. Real friends will know and love you just as you are. We are all unique and it is not for others to judge you and want you to conform to their ideals. These people don’t matter and are just like sheep, you are an original.

We are all judged for some reason. Work on not caring what others think. Be happy with yourself.

I was in the same boat. Nobody tells me what to do...what kind of music to enjoy, who to date, etc.
And I've learned to state that with as much arrogance as possible!

Sounds as if you are pretty strong - go for it

Live your life. We all judge. That is how we decide who to be friends with, who to marry, who to vote for. I have never met anyone in my life who doesn't judge.

Be true to yourself. I have spent my whole life being judged by my appearance, and a few people were surprised at who I really am.

You can't control what other folks do, unless they violate your space. if people insist on judging you, you can only control your own reaction to that. if strangers judge you, it should be easier to be philosophical about it. when someone you care about judges you, that can hurt, but then, on the other hand, with someone about whom you care, you can discuss the matter and try to explain yourself. it doesn't always work. sometimes you just have to live with being misunderstood. but race traitor, wow, people who say crap like that can be dangerous! be careful of your personal safety! geez, you have to like the same kind of music or risk being called a traitor?

g

Everyone in my school thought I was a lesbian since they never saw me with a guy. They didn't see (and I didn't care to correct them) that I dated men much older than me.

All I can say is to ignore the idiots and be yourself. Like you mentioned, you're still going to get judged by someone so you may as well ignore it.

Whether you should conform or stay true to yourself depends on which is more important to you. 1) The respect of shallow strangers. 2) Your individuality.

I would go with 2. Haters come and go, I remain the same.

You sound prettty ok with yorself and up to the challenge set just enjoy yourself!

keep finding it hilarious. find some people that can laugh with you. throw back a few and laugh together.

YOU DO YOU, fuck a hater.

I have my own opinion of myself and do not care what others think or say about me. I know me, they don't. Period.

Given your stated reaction, I think you are handling it quite well. Find the others that are unconventional and hang out with them. If you have a couple of friends, the others don’t matter. Just be you.

Keep your life yours.(but your picture kinda looks like a painting I have seen ?)

Context is everything. If you come from a culturally tight knit community, that is also religious, you are in a bit of a trap. I once worked in Tower Hamlets with a culturally tight religious community, and whilst they were individually nice people, if they found out one of their kids were an atheist or not a virgin, it would be a massive shame for them. Over different issues parents would go into various states of dispair - from extreme anxiety about their kids future, to banishing them. I only got to see parents most of the time, but if the kids were similar to the parents, they probably wouldn’t tolerate other kids within their community who didn’t conform. I can see how it could still affect an adult, because it’s bullying, at the end of the day. See a counselor and talk about the bullying, also if you are still in a tight community, move out and mix with people who share your ideals and tastes.

Livia Level 6 Sep 2, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:169455
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.