Agnostic.com

119 5

How do you make life meaningful without the help of religion?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

119 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Life is unique for each and every individual. Religion is a blanket thrown on you to keep you away from real world. One needs to be a good person in self without the fear of god and hell

You give life the meaning you want to give it I guess? I don't give my life any real meaning, I just enjoy the show while I last and try to make the most out of it.

MarcO Level 5 Oct 7, 2017

life has no real meaning or predestined, we are born we live we die just like all living beings. While that may seen a tad fatalistic we as humans look at the possibilities that surround us and connect with each other to help make our lives better for now and the future

Be the very best at everything you do no matter how small especially where others are concerned please try to understand, our actions or lack of ALWAYS affect someone either positively or negatively. It's up to you? Make sense? Love has absolutely nothing to do with religion. A kind word or gesture can heal more than you know, there's no guessing or wondering. It's tangible.

I now see "Religion" is by some other Culture or Someone Else's made up form of Belief's. I am pretty sure that we have the choice to make our own choices that fit us in how we want to see our Realities that fit with our Lifestyle. Life as I think about it means we are suppose to be unique and we customize our unique life in what fits with it. Reality gives us pleasure or consequences in what Reality is. If I think I am choosing correctly, I hope to get pleasure and anything that gives us bad things in consequences is what I will avoid. I believe in being Honest with the best we know of and things will be more generous (?) to us from that.

I found my life becoming more meaningful after I voided religion from it. KNOW RELIGION, NO PEACE!! NO RELIGION, KNOW PEACE!! The most important phase this world can ever learn. I have learned to live my life like the song by Tim McGraw "Live Like you Were Dieing" You only get one shot, one chance. Why waste 1/7 of it and 10% of everything you will ever achieve.

Art, science, music, love, sex, etc, etc

I surround myself with intelligent people and do creative things to focus on myself rather than other people

Life was meaningful once I realized I was breathing. It didn't take religion to help me realize that. It just took awareness of myself. I don't lie to myself, which I think you'd be surprised at how many people do so all day every day without realizing it. Don't be a jerk. Bring people up instead of putting people down, unless I'm driving.

The Magical Mystery Tour of Inner Self ..

You may have heard the quote plagiarized by Shakespeare .. "Know Thyself" ? .. The two (3?) most important words, ever ignored by most of Humanity, currently walking around on the Planet today.
Every thing in Life stems from these two words. If you do not know who you are, or are not at least on the path to knowing, you are lost. It means facing your Shadow. We all have one.

I utterly reject the idea that life lacks meaning without religion. Life is what we make of it and how meaningful our lives are is up to us and what we choose to do. There are religious people who spend almost their entire lives away from people doing nothing but praying, meditating, and studding are they leading meaningful lives if they have no impact on others and contribute almost nothing to society I say no.

It is up to you to make your life meaningful. Life has to be meaningful to you and gods or religion has nothing to do with it. My life makes me happy and that is what counts to me. At 72 I'm still 18 to 22 inside and do the same old things I always did. Computer is the new addition to this, but my computer helps me with movies, TV, music, etc. and has for the last 20 years. I love my "meaningful life" but it might bore you to tears.

You establish your own traditions... For example, the anthroposophical schools celebrate four feasts every year, the summer solstice, autumn, winter solstice and spring. You could invent your own sunday morning routine of nature walks, or going to a group meditation class.

Religion never was about making life meaningful. Each individual has to make her life meaningful. Religion has always been about power, corruption and deception, trying to make you believe you need it for your your life to be meaningful.

You are assuming of course that I need religion to make my life meaningful ? I find the question quite insulting . I,m afraid I can't take that one seriously

I don't have to 'make' my life meaningful it always was and always will be - Most people I know enjoy my company and i have enough to do to keep me amused - I am seldom bored but tell me why do you think life is less meaningful without a god - It is your life after all. I thankfully have never had a god and have always had plenty of friends to play and laugh with.

By doing what makes me happy, and not living my life according to other people's idea of what is meaningful.

Living in the moment. Enjoying what I have and looking forward to the future. #inthenow

I am sorry you even have to ask that question. Let me ask you, "Why do you think it takes organized religion to make life meaningful?

The only REAL meaning to LIFE is to LIVE. (For some reason I thought of the movie "Second Hand Lions" when I wrote this terse comment...)

I think religion makes life meaningless, through the focus on death and the afterlife. Life has meaning through understanding and curiosity. Fantasies are great, as long as we don't think it is reality, as believers do.

Following passions and spending quality time with good people.

Religion is an insane answer to a insane question!

SIMPLE... Religion, imho, is actually a hindrance to making life meaningful. So many theists believe that this life doesn't really count, but the next life is the one to look forward to, and that since we're all sinners and it's only through Jesus and not good works that His mercy is bestowed, then why concentrate on NOW? It's kinda like those freaks that feel Armageddon is coming & yippee! So is the rapture!

Here's my thought: What if you had just ONE life to make a difference and make all the good and beautiful things you could in the world- what would you do? How would you do each day differently? You would make a DIFFERENCE - each day, each person, each moment.

As Marx said, "Religion is the opiate of the masses." Life has it's own meanings, you don't need to make one up. Little kids have imaginary friends and we think it's cute. When adults have imaginary friends we commit them--why is it that each religion has their own imaginary friend?

lerlo Level 8 Dec 23, 2017

I have always thought you have to be desperately avoiding reality to commit to a Religion. It seems that the purpose is to validate your "goodness" and to give you (false) meaning. A facade to define you and a cover to excuse your wrongdoings, after all; you are religious, how can you be perceived as bad?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.