Agnostic.com

30 8

Raising children with/without religion

I have a 4 year old daughter and I don't want to expose her to too much religion/God at such a young age as young children are prone to automatically believe everything they are told. But, I also do want her to be informed to the extent to eventually make her own decisions about belief/nonbelief. Any suggestions or advice on how to do this or how you as a non-believer have raised your children? Thanks!

kittieblue13 4 Sep 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have no kids yet. Though I believe that the right way to bring them up is with a mentality to question everything.

We read and continue to read books.

Older than The Stars [amazon.com]

Little Changes [amazon.com]

This one is more 5-6 year old, depending on interest and maturity:

What Do You Believe? [amazon.com]

My daughter, Claire has two atheist parents. We never took her to church. Claire is a Democrat and atheist.

We raised Claire to have self-responsibility, and to treat others with compassion, kindness and respect.

We taught Claire:

1. To enjoy exercise. At 28, Claire still plays tennis, hikes, runs and lifts weights. We took her hiking beginning at 9 months. In high school, Claire was a varsity tennis player all four years, like her dad.

Regular exercise build girls' confidence. Athletic girls see their bodies as competent and strong, not just an ornament on some guy's arm.

1. Have a healthy diet and lifestyle.

2. Volunteer to help people in need. Be a good friend.

3. Love reading, art, music and other cultures.

4. Writing and speaking clearly with good grammar and spelling. Never used baby talk. Friends marveled at how articulate Claire was at an early age.

5. To value higher education. Recently Claire graduated from the Univ. of Washington with a 3.9 grade point average.

6. A hard worker, Claire has a great work ethic. She works for a medical center as a safety and trauma prevention coordinator.

7. The importance of voting.

8. Problem-solving and negotiation skills.

9. We raised Claire without TV or video games. Thirty years ago, research showed screen time hurts kids' ability to read and focus in school, and increases attention-deficit disorders. Now one in 10 kids are diagnosed with attention-deficit disorders. No surprise there.

When she was three, Claire got to choose three, half-hour shows per week, so she would be conversant with other kids. She chose Sesame Street.

Claire and her dad loved watching the Rugrats together when she was 8.

good luck my kids were raised to question everything religions were just another topic to be studied an even though there mum believed in god none of them found it to be credible you will be her voice of reason peer pressure may come into play depending how religious your community is

If you want your child to make their own decision, will you be including Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, animism, Wiccan, and satanic beliefs? There's a lot more. We just didn't have religion in our lives. They never asked.

Just teach them about logic and critical thought, don’t even bother talking about religious nonsense.

I didn't become a Agnostic until after my kids were grown. Damn, I wish I could turn the time back.

I think that is one of the hardest questions that every agnostic or atheist parent has to answer. My son was bombarded with the religious dogma from his mother, I tried to be a counter balance and interest him in the science's. I never criticized my exes beliefs in front of my son, hoping that he would have a well rounded education that would allow him to make an informed decision on his own. He doesn't discuss it openly with me out of respect for his mom, but he is pursing a degree in physics. Hopefully that is a good sign.

She will hear things and have questions. When my daughter started asking questions at about 5 years old, I explained that there are 2 ways to understand things, the religious way (God made everything and makes everything happen) which some of our friends and relatives believe, and the scientific way which other friends and relatives believe (have books and explanations ready to explore) and that everyone chooses which way makes the most sense to them, noting the scientific way made the most sense to me and their dad.

I also noted that we love all our friends and relatives no matter which way they believe, but it all comes down to being a good person. We taught that every day.

I would always seize on teachable moments, and for a time, it was Sunday mornings when their dad was at softball practice, that my kids and I would have heart to heart chats about various social or nature topics. I had to laugh one time when a friend of my daughter's asked her what church we attended, and my daughter replied that we were "home churched" which is something she must have made up, as our neighbors were "home schooled" she applied the same idea, I guess. Funny.

This is great advice and also beautiful.

Encourage curiosity and help her build critical thinking skills. We're fortunate enough to have an 11-yo who's receptive to new ideas, but knows better than to accept everything at face value. Keep the communication open with your daughter and you'll do fine.

As a young mom I didn't know any better and my children went to church and Sunday school but we were not glued to the seats even then. We adopted 6 other children and I home schooled. We learned about the religons of the world in our studies, we also attended various churches in our area of different denominations, and that was all it took. The kids got it with no problem. I didn't want my children mentally and emotionally handicapped either by some fool religion. They are all grown now and gone and doing fine - none are fanatics. Not sure if they go to any church or not but either way - fine.

Christmas I told my son that his mum and I bought him presents no mention of santa . His nan passed away and we told him she was on her way to becoming stardust . Otherwise god doesn't come up he's 3 so still early days . When his mum split from me her brother in law kept bringing up Santa and using the usual threats with behaviour and presents crap but I'm sticking to my guns and he realises I tell him the truth

I don't buy the stardust thing either. Your young child might need to have some type of softening for death. Heaven is death because you no longer hurt or have any problems. The difference between heaven and hell is how people remember you. If they are glad you are dead that is hell. If they miss you and maybe sad that is Heaven because they remember you in a good light.

@benhmiller what do you mean you don't buy the stardust thing either ? Heaven and hell are vile thngS to say to a child

It takes a lot of indoctrination to make a kid believe in a magic invisible man in the sky who is all good and all powerful, but won't help starving children or kids dying of cancer because of "free will".
You won't hurt her by informing her about religion, as long as you let her know they're just stories.

I raised my children to not be religious but they were exposed to many religions.

They played Nintendo with Buddhist monks when said monks were visiting to make a sand mandala.

They the local rabbi's hobby was puppetry including having one that looked like him.

They knew the local Imams and helped raise funds when someone firebombed one of the mosques.

They learned that you stand on the first sung word of the "African American National Anthem"

Exposure to and respecting all religion is, perhaps, an inoculation shot against all the bullshit.

If ou take your kids to a Unitarian Universalist church they are very good at religious education and very many Atheists (hard to explain,). Also comprehensive age appropriate sex education.
O.W.L. for Our Whole Lives..

On Edit -

Those particular monks took their tea with unsalted butter.

It approached the fat content of the yaks milk they were accustomed to.

I raised two daughters without religion. I did not force my atheism on them' not did I force religion on them. Instead, I raised them to make their own informed choices. As adults, both considered religion, but chose to be agnostics, at the least.

Both my daughters were brought up with no religion and they were told gradually at the right time all they needed to know until they knew all the why's, what and what not. Both adults that have choosed by their own power to be free thinkers and they perfectly understand they can change their mind any given day and that's ok
. They both appreciate to have the option to do as they please.

A good question that I’ve been considering myself. I’m looking for a child to adopt (from the foster care system), and by the age of five or six they will have already been exposed to religion from their birth parents or foster parents almost definitely. When my mother was a kid she attended a Unitarian church, and they took trips to all different churches, synagogues, etc. to learn about other religions, and in their Sunday school I know they talk about nature and building strong communities, not so much about God or the Bible. I’ve considered that, but first I’d like to go in and talk to them about being a Unitarian atheist, ha...

if all you want is to be part of a group then ok but don't get trapped in the rituals

My whole family is agnostic. I would have never known. My mom made me go to Sunday school until I was 11 to learn about religion. After throwing a fit every week, she asked if I believed in god. I said no. She defends the way she went about it, I told her it made me feel like I was going against what she believed. Children should know what religion is, since it holds such a large place in all cultures. But the more we start teaching them it's just a fairy tale, hopefully it'll start to lessen its hold in generations to come.

more than a fairy tale its superstition and a cult!

Raise children with the truth! They are being lied to so much how are they to know what is true. I was pushed into religion of mother. Don't know if dad believed. He asked me if I believed I said no. He just humm nothing else. I did not need his approval to understand the truth I just need the truth.

"Mama, is Santa real?" my daughter asked earnestly at age six. "Kids on the playground say he's not real."

Gently I explained that Santa is a made-up story. "Thank you for being honest," Claire replied.

"Don't tell Daddy I know," Claire said. "He gets a big kick out of it."

On Christmas Eve before bed, Terry used flour to put tiny reindeer prints on the living room carpet, leading to the plate of cookies for Santa.

As many others have said, it's best to raise them with the truth.

I also believe they should actively encouraged to eschew belief in ALL
gods and ALL religions. They're going to be inundated with the religious
beliefs and influence of others. They should know from the earliest age
possible that ALL of that is nonsense, and no matter how attractive it is
made to sound, to not fall for any of it.

There is no rational way to make an informed decision to believe in that
which does not exist. ALL religious beliefs are rooted in delusion.
All children should know that, and have it reinforced constantly.

This was a problem my late partner had with her kids. There was no religion in the household yet 2 managed to become strong S. Baptists. She constantly wondered where she went wrong. She finally realized she undervalued the importance of critical thinking. Kids need to learn to question everything.

Totally. I encouraged questioning all accepted beliefs, and they got their own little ' bullshit detectors' from early on by ferreting for the truth. And help them to wrestle the problems out. It can become fun.
Lately my daughter, who is nanny to an 8and a 5 year old, got the older one to challenge the assertion by a classmate that "Americans are bad " by discussing it with him. He came to his own conclusion that they are people like everyone else.

@Tilia That is fantastic. My late partner who grew up in Iran (are all Iranians bad?) was the only daughter with 4 brothers. Her mother fostered her to question everything and she did. From early on she thought religion was silly (even though the family were Moslem) but when she saw what it did to her country she became an activist. She said that if she had stayed in Iran, because of her mouth, she would be dead or in jail. Oh, the stories I have heard.
BTW my ancestry is French from the Perigord region.

I tried to teach her the truth as I know them, as in all other matters. And tell her that she will have to make certain choices on her own, and the choices comes with consequences. And I also tried to give her my moral values: that we should avoid making choices whose consequences hurt people.

Be honest and age appropriate and be sure to mention that it might not be appropriate to share with everyone.

Encourage them to ask questions and to seek answers. Encourage them to look for sources and proof. There are some amazing fairy tales out there that are taken for truth. My ex got excited about hearing about a monk that was resurrected, that bodily fluids were actually leaking out of his body and he came back to life. And I went "really, you believe that?" Talk about "news" stories like that, and PLEASE talk about bias in news reporting. Faux news makes me break out in hives.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:170167
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.