Agnostic.com

48 16

Intimidation

Are you intimidated by anyone? If so, who and why?

I’ve been told I’m intimidating over the course of my life by a lot of different people.
Sometimes it’s my sobriety that intimidates people, sometimes it’s my atheism and sometimes it’s just my focused face or presence or something..
Once they get to know me, they relax and see the errors in their judgement.
I’m just a no bullshit goofball.

I don’t think I’ve been intimidated by anyone since I was a kid.
I’ve long held that we’re all basically equal, no matter how much power one is disillusioned by.

AMGT 8 Sep 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

48 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I once took on Harvard when they had one of my T-shirt designs pulled off of CafePress. Details are at [interestingtimes.info]. After I talked with their outside counsel it took them less than 24 hours to back down.

I was talking with my friend who had assisted me with the legal research for the case and asked him why they had even bothered? He said, "They thought they were going to intimidate you." I asked, "What?" He was halfway through repeating his answer when he started laughing.

That's not to say I have never been intimidated, just that it doesn't happen easily.

Apparently we think and act pretty much alike. I try to be a no bullshit goofball most of the time.

Thank you for the post. Sorry for your
Loss. I'm 57 - faced death at early age
-there are things worse to me.People
with knowledge un-checked ,who lord
that knowledge over others.And people who
think that every one is curruptable.
I try to live by principles that benifit
humanity(they were,will be tested).Best
Hopes to you in the future.

I am not easily intimidated. Can't think of a single person that intimidates me.

Lots of people say that I am intimidating. Which I don't get, I'm short and chubby and cute. According to my sister it's because i go from adorable to "I will eat your soul" in roughly 0 seconds with no warning.

You are lucky that you haven't been intimidated since you were a kid, because sometimes people are scary. As far as people being intimidated by you if you are a peaceful person, sometimes people are afraid of themselves. Also, as you said they relax after getting to know you, it is probably that they didn't know you well.

I fall in the same category as many - don't find people intimidating (a few situations but not people). But I have been told many times I am intimidating. Not sure why - maybe because I am tall & very secure with who I am....

Awed by some. Highly impressed by some. Full of admiration for some. But intimidated ? No.

Long ago, someone gave me this advice : If you find yourself feeling less than someone else - for whatever reason, just imagine them sitting on the toilet. For me - it works every time by immediately leveling the playing field - no matter WHO they are ! <grin>

Really intelligent people intimidate me. I would much rather listen to them, then talk. I usually just admire them from afar.

Doubt I am intimidated by people...maybe but not that I could quantify.

I have been told by a couple SO's that I was intimidating/intense. I was like "seriously? I don't even take seriously seriously."

You can't change how others feel and it probably says more about them than you I think

Intimidated by anyone? No.

Intimidated by me? People have told me they were intimidated by me. Some people have also seemed to be intimidated by me without explicitly stating it.

Just the other day I was at the bottom of the stairs to someone's house as I was walking and I turned to them to ask them a question and they went to run in their house lol. There was like 5 of them outside and they were like 20 feet above me on their porch. I shit you not. I was like "No, it's ok, I'm not going to hurt you. I just wanted to ask you a question."

I was often reminded as a child that everyone puts their pants on one leg at a time regardless of their position. Yes I know some people can do both at once as I can but I also know I'm as good as anyone else and everyone has their strengths and weaknesses including me. In other words I can't remember being intimidated by class or intellect. I'm also fortunate to feel like most people will be nice to me. In other words I'm kind of a Pollyanna.

I was often reminded as a child that everyone puts their pants on one leg at a time regardless of their position. Yes I know some people can do both at once as I can but I also know I'm as good as anyone else and everyone has their strengths and weaknesses including me. In other words I can't remember being intimidated by class or intellect. I'm also fortunate to feel like most people will be nice to me. In other words I'm kind of a Pollyanna.

I can't think of anyone who intimidates me. I have been told (mostly by men) that I am intimidating, but I can't get an explanation as to what it is that causes this. I must say it often came in handy with students. I didn't get the same kinds of challenges other faculty got. Also, my daughter's friends growing up found me intimidating at times. Other times they came to me for advice they were afraid to discuss with their own mothers. One told my daughter that I was 'tough as nails'. Having had no one to fight my battles for me, I was always more than willing to help out others who were underdogs.

I've been told that I'm intimidating too.

i've been considered intimidating. i am not sure why -- maybe because i speak my mind, such as it is. i don't think i am seriously intimidated by any people.

g

I’m told I’m intimidating.

@AMGT the app froze. So, I repeated it.
But really. I’M INTIMIDATING! Really! Aaargh!
Scared yet?

Intensity can be intimidating. Not saying that's you but I try to turn down my intensity from '11' when appropriate. ? Don't always succeed...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:171052
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.