Agnostic.com

3 0

Faith based morality, is it fragile?

What happens if you lose your faith/mean you lose your morality?
I am reminded of a story of the cold way era. In 1968 Czechoslovakia opened up a little, it got crushed but for a short while travel to the west was allowed. A young student of 21 visited west Germany. Now all his life he was told that western youth were hooked on an addictive narcotic called "coca-cola". Well you can guess what he wanted to try almost as soon as he landed. As he sat there and drank his coke, the realization of the lie was like a veil had been lifted. If they had lied about this then what else? With that drink all of the communist ideology left him.

273kelvin 8 Jan 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Reading your posts most of them I agree with. To summarize, it is a bit like the military. My dad was a career royal navy guy 20 years and pension. When he came out he was a bit lost. Okay he would go to work, do jobs on the side but shop for food, cook or launder, forget it. With the consequence that he ended up living with women he couldn't stand. Just to be looked after like he was in the navy.

People of faith don't have morals, they have rules instead. Want to have fun with a xtian? Ask them to define good and evil. They can't. All they can do is quote contradictory biblical rules and maybe give some weak examples. No actual definitions, though.

I think it can be a tenuous morality, for sure. A woman I know was a fundamentalist Christian, Bible-based, conservative, "way-of-life-not-a-religion" sort. She was the kind who stayed married to a manipulative, emotionally crippled man because St. Paul said divorce was forbidden. She was so opposed to drinking alcohol that she refused to sell advertising to liquor stores, and insulted a neighbor when they had brought a bottle of wine to her home by writing a lengthy letter to them about how she's a Christian and the Bible forbids it, basically telling them that she's a better Christian because of her perspective, and that ended their friendship (which shocked her, but I'm not really sure what she expected). She brought her children up with these rigid rules and was extremely cautious about leaving them in the living room watching television alone with their significant other for fear that hands might roam. She attended church several times a week. Her kids were homeschooled by one of the more active church members. It wasn't a fad ot a phase. Then she had a falling out with some people from her church. She felt abandoned by them when she wanted their support during a difficult time, and her religious conviction started to crumble as a result. Shortly thereafter, she stopped attending church, she was drinking frequently, she was having sex with men outside her marriage, and she was letting her underage daughter have sleepovers with her older boyfriend (because she felt that she couldn't tell her daughter to not have sex when she was herself having sex). This stark transformation took place in a matter of months. When she lost her religion, she lost the needle to her moral compass.

Wow that sounds terrible. I wonder how (when she believed) she got over the miracle of Canaan (water/wine).

@273kelvin I always wondered that, too.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17127
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.