Agnostic.com

51 8

If religion died out, how would we repurpose all the churches?

There are a LOT of churches around. What would we do if more people started identifying as nones...? It would be a total waste to just leave all that real estate lying around.

silvereyes 8 Jan 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

51 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

id love one as a house

Homeless shelters!

performing arts centers, museums and homeless shelters. Great acoustics, historical significance and lots of warm dry floor space.

Dwight Level 7 Jan 21, 2018

Lecture halls; schools

How about converting them in shelters or apartments for the homeless? Then they would serve a useful purpose.

Perfect, Max, my first thought also.

Weren't churches supposed to also be shelters? The apartments and I have even seen homes.

[s3-media4.fl.yelpcdn.com]

This church in Dayton, Ohio was converted to a climbing center.

jeffy Level 7 Jan 21, 2018

Brothels. Bars. Gaming. No seriously, schools, convert them to apartments for low income. Shelters for battered women/kids. Course if religion died out might there be less violence?

Homeless shelters would be a good start

Don't reuse them there tainted burn them down. Actually that is the correct way to destroy something spiritual or holy/sacred. And if not I would turn them into business or meeting halls, dance halls, or they can be used as auditoriums, homeless shelter, private atheist schools, science labs ooooooooohhhhhh a Dojo you can fit a pretty nice mat in most churches. just some ideas i could go on for ever. But I would want to burn one down.

Since the spirit thing is a lie, you won't need to burn, exorcise, or decontaminate them.

I was reared Catholic and there are several Catholic churches around this rural area. Attendance is way down. One church is no longer used. Another two have scaled back services significantly. The church continues to hoard the property, tax free. I think it's a long, long time before we see these buildings and plots sold off.

The tax status is the main thing that churches need to give up. Be open about your books or be not trusted!

24 hr. hotdogs and pancakes stop.

I'm completely with the homeless shelter idea previously stated, but if that wasn't viable for some crazy reason, I'd want them to be dance halls and music venues, I like the idea of loads of 4 piece bands playing rock and roll, with people doing the twist and jiving all day long, I'd never get bored of that.

Dav87 Level 6 Jan 21, 2018

@silvereyes who wouldn't, it's the only reason I encourage atheism.

I've seen churches turned into clubs in a few cities

@Unicus there was a club near me that on THORSdays played heavy metal all night long, it was a great scene and it was a converted church. Many happy memories in that church!

I'd turn most into shelters and community centers for poor and less fortunate people. When there are more churches than homeless shelters, it's a truly sad state of affairs. Something that benefits everyone, don't care what it is.

Is it just me? Or the fact that there are more churches than homeless shelters only proofs that god really does not exist.

Oh, those churches still grow like weeds. Yes, there is no god who would approve of the insanely selfish way lots of churches behave and become self-absorbed.

We wouldn't. Realtors would. What we need to figure out is how we will repurpose the voice of the church. Or better stated.. uncorrupt it.

skado Level 9 Jan 21, 2018

I submit to you that, when a group of freethinkers engage in conversation in a respectful manner, that collective voice may prove difficult to corrupt. We are already striding toward an I ncorruptible voice.

Amen. What I was thinking.

Music venues, art studios, Homeless shelters, community centers,

Interesting. The very first thing I thought of was for homeless shelters, before I read any comments. 😀

Seconded!

@twshield I wasn't the first anyway. lol

The really architecturally beautiful ones could be used as restaurants or converted into affordable housing. The ones in strip malls could be used as bars, or brothels, or something else that's more useful.

Hhahaha lol. Brilliant!

Why not do both?

Places where people can come to worship other people, or worship each other, or in group.

There are never enough shelters for women with kids.

Youth centers, art galleries and theateres

Having both done, and attended numerous concerts in various church buildings - I'd say they make dandy concert halls. Especially the old ones with cathedral ceilings !

Or meeting houses, or dance halls !

I also knew a couple that bought a small old church, and made it their home. They put their bedroom up on the alter. Brilliant !

That is amazing!! I could so go for that. High ceilings I hope.

Shelters for women and children... Youth activity centers...

Have to make a lot more bars would have lots of aimless people with nothing to do.

My old church shares itself with AA, CHOW, they run a soup kitchen, certain theatre groups use it, yoga classes. The church also owns houses on its property that it rents out really low. I’d like to see them used like that, with no religion.

Homeless shelters, soup kitchens and youth centers come to my mind.

Same as now. Put them to all kinds of uses. The disgustingly opulent ones could be theaters for everything from science conferences to sports.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17171
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.