Agnostic.com

63 2

How does one go about being a polite atheist?

If, as an agnostic, atheist, non-believer, or especially anti-theist truly find folly in the belief of deities, spirits, fate, etc.; do you find it difficult to speak of your convictions to those that hold belief central to thier identity? What are some tactics you use to broach the subject as non-offensively as possible, (assuming it isn't inappropriate)?

menathuryn 4 Sep 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

63 comments (51 - 63)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It has always been compulsory, although I understand the benefits of being an asshole. I'm not signing up on their team.

It has always been compulsory, although I understand the benefits of being an asshole. I'm not signing up on their team.

I don't know. I never tried. I've never concerned myself with the opinion of grownups who still believe in Santa Claus.

Don't ask don't tell

Politely listen, nod head, say:
I see how much that means to you” (Touching yet wrong)
That’s so interesting” (from a psychological standpoint)
*which book in the Bible does that come from?”(I don’t care, but I can feign interest$
“Yes, I I understand” (but don’t agree)
“Do you take a lot of comfort in (fill gap)? (See, I sound like I care)
I do it daily with a kindly smile on my face and really listen. Takes 10 mins, and it makes people feel good about themselves.

Livia Level 6 Sep 6, 2018

Those willing to discuss, will bring it up. Otherwise any criticism you have for religion, will fall on deaf ears.

Marz Level 7 Sep 6, 2018

Same tactic as ever.... Tell them what they want to hear. I am not confrontational about it, ever...... Everybody wins

I don't try to convice anyone anymore . If possible , I smile and walk away . If situation such That i can't walk away AND after I state that gods and devils not my problem in life , then I say as less as possible and let them talk and preach . Eventually they zip mouths . U know . Nothing to feed the fire...

I don't think there really is a polite way to tell someone you think their mythical beliefs are foolishness, plus I don't like it when people preach to me so I don't preach to them. Now if they bring it up, then I start asking questions similar to the way Street Epistemology does, telling them that I am curious about their beliefs. It usually doesn't take long for them to start stumbling over their own beliefs and admit that it is all very personal and subjective.

Mlst of the answers so far are basically keep quiet and say nothing, or be as brief on the subject as possible for fear we won't fall into a stereotype of being that "angry atheist." Well I would rather have that then being thought of being a nonbeliever because I'm ignorant or uneducated on the subject. Who cares if they think youre being offensive. As a nonbeleiver, not being able to go a minute without hearing about god during conversation, a song, a commercial, a movie, an advertisement....its offensive. Speak up and let people understand that you know more about this topic than they do. Ive been told the anger fades out over time. I've been an atheist for 11 years and it hasnt faded a bit. I'm tired of adults speaking like children and getting away with it and having it being normalized.

i don't talk religion with people like that. i don't talk MUCH to people like that. i don't have close friends who believe that way. i have one friend, neither close nor distant, at whom i am currently angry because she prayed jesusly (hands-on, yet!) over my fiancé at his birthday bash, which was populated mostly with jews (and at least one atheist: me; he is not an atheist). her conversations tend to be punctuated with "praise the lord" and stuff like that. she was his friend, and became mine when he and i got together, but this is the first time she's actually pulled this stunt, and the next time we communicate i will tell her that it had better be the last time, too. i've never interfered with her beliefs, though i consider them coo coo for coco puffs. i do not appreciate her interfering with his.

g

Sometimes I cuss like a sailor but I am really a very nice and kind person. When it comes to being a polite atheist I'm pretty much like David Silverman.

when religion is not in the open

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:172246
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.