Agnostic.com

29 7

Anybody out there like musicals?

Does anyone put there have an appreciation for musical productions? I grew up on musicals. My mother was a music teacher and showed me all the old classics growing up. Even things like the musical episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Dr. Horrible are so much fun. I have shown some to my kids but I am excited about newer shows like Hamilton and Wicked that really inspire my kids. Taking them to the theater to see a production is such a blast.

BoingoOingo42 7 Sep 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I love to see musical theater. I also love to act in it. I just auditioned for "Hello, Dolly" at my local Arts Center, and will be performing in November.

Break a leg!

@LucyLoohoo Thanks!

But whose leg shall I break? Hmmmm..... LOL.

Through my kids I have acquired an appreciation for musical theater. My son (age 26) is a theater technician and has teched for productions on-board cruise ships and more recently has toured the US and Canada with a production of the Wizard of Oz. My daughter (age 16) prefers to be on-stage and has done performing arts since she was about 5. For the last 6 years she has dedicated herself to a youth community theater. I have attended every performance of every show she has been in. I think any parent would do this, but the added bonus here is that this theater company puts on exceptional shows. They have a Disney alum named Ron Cisneros who does most of the directing and dance choreography. The performances he gets out of these kids are truly amazing. I have been moved to tears more than once.

Since this company is youth only, once kids graduate from HS, they graduate out of the program. I have seen many a kid move on who I would have loved to have seen in more shows. Truly talented bunch of kids.

Yes, you are not alone. I was raised on musicals from the forties on....love all of them. South Pacific was the first film I saw in Todd-ao-scope....extra wide screen introduced to the cimena by Mike Todd husband of Elizabeth Taylor. My Dad took me on my birthday and bought me the double album of the soundtrack as a souvenir, I still have it. I think it was my fourteenth birthday. Happy days.

Book of Mormon is a must see!

Marz Level 7 Sep 6, 2018

I fell in love with musical theater when my sister took me to see "The King and I" with for my ninth birthday.

I was about that old when I saw it live and loved it.

I like them. I kind of think I'm a weird mix of things. I was a jock into baseball and football, smart, compassionate, write songs and play the piano, rough and tumble, liberal, like musicals, etc. I think me being a jock and having a bit of a temper doesn't mix with the other things. I'm a weird one Mr. Grinch.

I wanted to see Rent when it came out, but kept putting it off. I saw the video. I also saw Wicked and The Greatest Showman on video. I went to see Movin' Out. I went to see Les Miserables. I went to see Aida. Great performances. There is something about live performances that is above all the rest.

Love the old Hollywood musicals, my mum used to watch them so I did too. Not so keen on modern(ish) ones like Grease but Singin' In The Rain....yes please.

My freshman is studying theater and thier currently getting ready to put on suessical. I’ve taken him to quite a few shows, musicals, plays in Houston. Love it all.

Never liked them!

Until I was part of one. I acted in Cabaret at the local college last year and it was a blast. I had no idea of the depth of that show and was quite impressed with the story.

Not a complete lover of musicals but do have a new appreciation for them.

I love musical theater! I spent a lot of time visiting my family in NY, so I was lucky to catch some in Broadway. Starlight Express, Cats (a few times), Phantom of the Opera, Miss Saigon are the ones I've seen there..do The Rockettes count? I was also in some growing up... Just like School ones. I was in chorus most of my childhood.
I'm dying to see Wicked, Book of Mormon, Hamilton and Jesus Christ Superstar.

I've been a musical theater geek since I saw "Pippin" on Broadway in 1977 (still my favorite show, though I'm a purist who didn't care much for the recent revival). Even went to a performing arts summer camp as a teen where I was in several productions (including "The Pajama Game," "The Sound of Music," and "Hair" ). I still love musical theater just as much as I did then and have some friends in the business. I can talk a blue streak about it.

I love stage production musicals. Have felt that way since my young days. I do not, however, enjoy most movie musicals, with a few notable exceptions like Caborat and West Side Story. And even then, seeing West Side Story on stage was better, even with lesser actors and no Rita Marino(sp). Sorry, getting older with brain farts. I was also privileged that my son is a talented musician and singer and stared, in high school, in some musicals. In general I love plays, especially Shakespeare (I'm an old English teacher).

i like some, eschew others. i tend to like 'em rather wicked (oh, that's a pretty good one too) like cabaret or chicago; the sound of music leaves me cold. (blasphemy!) i do like singin' in the rain, guys and dolls, pennies from heaven (okay that's pretty dark too!) the wizard of oz, showboat, into the woods, hair, maybe even jesus christ superstar if i'm in the right mood. carousel... NO. just no. no no no.

g

I liked the film version musical of Oliver Twist.

Love them! "Guys and Dolls" my FAV!

They were all I was allowed to see as a child...and, of course, they were all "G" rated. I wanted to BE Debbie Reynolds in "Singin' " and thought the movie adaptations of broadway productions were just magical. "Showboat", "Oklahoma", "Gigi," "South Pacific," etc....took me away to someplace happy (well..in the end, at least.)

I have seen most of them and love them. My favorites are the classic, Les Mis and The Phantom of the Opera. I own most major renditions of these. I could discuss these two great shows forever. The classic Phantom was, of course, Michael Crawford with Sarah Brightman, but the two below were dazzling in the 25th Anniversary edition. Les Mis? That is for another Post or rant.

I make an exception for The Producers & Paint Your Wagon. Tommy was endurable.

It was Ann Margaret in the beans, right? Give it up, you can admit it. ?

Being in choir back in high school, got an appreciation of musicals...especially when it was part of your grade.

Have seen Rent, Oklahoma, Showboat, South Pacific, Wizard of Oz, Cats, Jesus Christ Superstar, and Godspell. Still need to see Hamilton, Wicked, and Book of Mormon.

My favorite was Book Of Mormon.

JK666 Level 7 Sep 6, 2018

I'm a huge musical theatre geek. I was in a few local productions, as well, in MN. Hope to get back into it soon.

The Music Man...Oliver...LOVE them, tear-up

Nah. I was never able to appreciate musicals but having said that I do love these; Hair, Jesus Christ Superstar, Rocky Horror Picture Show and Cabaret.

my fav film is rocky horror its great to sing a long to a film don't get to go to theatre so much now but lloved it when i ws a kid

I love musicals!!!! Here's a scene from Danny Kaye...I loved that guy all through childhood. Bugs bunny productions actually got me started. Brunhilda! You're so lovely!
And you know some of the current cartoons like Simpson's and Futureama have hilarious musical skits. I could go on!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:172454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.