Agnostic.com

14 6

Hello! I'm from Georgia, and find it hard to make friends with people I can relate to here in the bible belt. Rarely do I come across people who aren't religious or who won't look down on me for being an atheist. I am also a single mother and I am constantly pressured to indoctrinate my child into Christianity which is difficult to deal with. If anyone would like to talk or become Facebook friends, I would love to have more friends in the skeptic/atheist community.

TaliaElizabeth92 5 Oct 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hang in there. This site will help you get in touch with people. Marietta

As a New York Yankee Atheist I can only say join the club. I am "friendly" with many here, but not close to anyone I am still close to my friends in WNY State. Thank goodness for the internet. Back I made friends through social activities, but here in Georgia their only activities are church and kid sports, neither of which I could tolerate.

I have a good mixed set of friends covering religious, pagan and non-believers. I have met most of them from a defunct group now, Border Pagans. Luckily we stay in touch and see each other often. I am always open if you need someone to vent to though.

I'm in Atlanta and always open to making new friends. I don't care what people believe as long as we aren't in a battle to impose what we believe on one another. I also enjoy being with people who aren't always offering to pray for me or blame God for all of my hard work. You're invited for coffee/tea with me anytime

That would be awesome 🙂 Good to meet you!

Love your attitude. But it sounds like you need some “Thoughts and prayers.” LOL

I live in Georgia too. We should be friends. Don't know any other atheists here, but I never shy away from the conversation with anyone. And, no one has ever been a complete dick to me about it.

Ok! Glad to meet another atheist, and I would love to be friends 🙂

I live in Chattanooga, TN, also directly in the Bible Belt. One must learn to bite one's tongue and to limit one's self from certain conversations. I relate to your position very well.

Don’t hold your tongue. Speak your mind. You believe what you believe.

Check out the Atlanta Freethought Society as a place to meet like-minded people in the metro Atlanta area.
[meetup.com]

Arkansas here, so I'm with you!

bls63 Level 2 Oct 19, 2017

If you don't mind your friends being long distance ones then you should end up with as many friends as you would like here. I have sent you a message in case you are interested. Looking forward to joining your list of friends.

I don't mind at all! After 13 years in Georgia, I have come to realize long distance friends are much better than making friends here, with only a few exceptions. Even the good friends I have made are not atheists/agnostics so it is nice to make friends who understand my views 🙂

Elizabeth, hi. Poor you in the so called "Bible belt". I believe that 'this', being on Agnostic.com, is one of your better choices- but feel enlightened about yourself- and forget about people who believe in slow-learning, children's fairy tales. I've forgotten how Jonah ended up, in the belly of the whale- not that it matters. I think he was electrocuted while trying to install lighting. But why? Lighting wouldn't have helped him much; a whale's stomach acids would have taken his eyes and skin in nanoseconds. And the feeding of the thousands! Was that done when the magic wand was waved over the can of sardines and the stale bagel and that turned into grand meals with candle light- the works. All too foolish to even be funny!

Hello! Yeah so much nonsense that it blows my mind how seriously it is all taken by religious people. They will defend that "holy book" to death.

I've visited Charleston and Myrtle Beach, South Carolina multiple times but I've never gotten any legitimate, long-term exposure to life in the Bible Belt. What's it like having to call it your home?

It's really difficult for me, personally. I struggle with depression often from feeling so alone. I sometimes feel as though I'm the only person who knows how to actually think for themselves among all these brainwashed people. There is a church literally every few miles on my commute to work. People I have worked with and gone to school with are blatantly and unapologetically homophobic, their reason always being "because the Bible says...". I have always felt like an outsider, and it makes me really sad that I know so many closed-minded people and the Internet is the only place I can openly admit I am an atheist without feeling judged.

When you're "New in town", every conversation starts with, "So, what church do you and family attend?", or "I'm not sure if you've found a church family yet, but my SO and I attend blah blah blah and we love the pastor and have a great community and would be so blah blah blah if you would join us this Sunday...." Puke!

Hello from Georgia. You're not alone. I was just thinking that we should have something for non-believers where I live. I know how difficult it can be dealing with agnosticism in a sea of Christians. I can't imagine trying to raise a kid in this environment.

That would be awesome to have a meet up with other agnostics/atheists. It can seriously be depressing having no one to talk to that understands, and I'm so relieved to have found this site. Nice to meet you!

When I'm confronted by religious nuts trying to push their kool-aid, I politely let them know that I find religion to be a personal and private matter, and that I'd prefer not to discuss it with those outside my family and friends. If they persist, then I lose the politeness and let them know their opinion was neither asked for, nor welcomed...and maybe they should focus some of that energy on their own life.

Brock Level 3 Oct 18, 2017

I try to tell them and I get looked at like I'm trying to be rebellious or something just for the sake of it. My mom shrugs off the fact that my son's daycare tries to indoctrinate him despite him being only 6 and barely able to comprehend what's real and what's not, like she can't believe I really have a problem with it. Christianity is the norm and most pepole here can't fathom how anyone could believe otherwise, which sucks.

What was it like growing up in the bible belt being an atheist? I was kinda lucky cuz its pretty normal to be atheist where i grew up

It was very lonely because ever since I was a small child, I doubted what I was taught in church. But I was surrounded by people reinforcing these ideas constantly throughout my life to the point where I thought I was a bad person for not having faith. I would even tell myself that a god must have been looking out for me whenever something good happened. Only this past year was I able to fully admit to myself that God is a complete lie because I was afraid. Watching YouTube videos of other atheists was the first time I had ever heard another view that I could relate to. It made me unafraid of acknowledging my lack of faith. You are very lucky, I am hoping to move away in a few years so my son doesn't have to grow up in this kind of environment.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1725
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.