Agnostic.com

308 29

Should public nudity be legal?

The AANR (American Association for Nude Recreation) has the view that public nudity should be legal as long as the person is not doing anything with the intent of sexually arousing either themselves or anyone else.

The most stated reason by members is to get over "body shame", because doing so helps boost self esteem and confidence. There have been studies showing that children raised in nudist family have higher self esteem and confidence and are just generally more comfortable with who they are as a person.

On the other side there are those persons who seek out nude beaches and nudist events who have seual agendas. AANR nudist clubs don't tolerate such persons, and forcibly remove them shoudl they show up. I refer to such persons as "swingers" because they seem to fit the swinger lifestyle more than they do the nudist lifestyule

However, as a point of freedom. A freedom of expression, which does tno do harm to anyone, shoudl public nudity be legal? As atheists are nto burdened with religious mores , I was just wondering what the people here think?

I am a natuirst (nudist) and I have ridden the Portland (OR) World Naked Bike Ride, which has over 10,000 participants each year, and I have gone on nude hikes, visited clothing optional beaches

So, what are your thoughts?

snytiger6 9 Oct 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

308 comments (251 - 275)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nudity really isn't appropriate for city life - too many complications . But if you live in the country or want to go nude on your holidays at the seaside, why not. It might help people be more relaxed about different body shapes.

Did you know it's legal to be without a top (women) in NY City?

@cyndiann Does that apply to men, too? Seems to me that men go around bare-chested quite a lot in hot weather. No reason why women shouldn't as well, if they want to.

@CeliaVL well yeah and that's the point. Women should be treated the same as men under the law, including being topfree.

As someone who is very interested in looking at naked ladies I find myself conflicted. On one hand you want to show, but on the other you don’t want me looking. Should it be legal, sure. Anytime, anywhere? Not sure that is not asking for trouble.

At one time women kept ankles hidden, said it was too sexy. You adjust and get used to it. Nobody hides ankles anymore, next is breasts.It's that simple.

Yeah, I don't need to announce to people in the checkout line that I think the cashier is hot with a raging, out in the open boner.

Sure. Who cares.

Do you know why many men reject Nudism?

I think the reasons probably vary greatly, but the majority have probably been taught to be ashamed of their own bodies, and also taught to shame other people's bodies as well, as a way of trying to make themselves feel superior.

@snytiger6 No. LOL

Nudity should be a personal choice at appropriate locations, and we could go on all day about what's appropriate. Nudity, even on city streets, in some European countries is either legal or a minor offense. I didn't believe it until I saw it in Budapest.

And, yes, I have seen it in Portland "keep it weird" Oregon.

We used to drive into the Gifford Pinchot National Forest and have nude picnics, but that probably violated some Federal Law.

To tell the truth I spent some of the happiest days of my life in Paradise Lakes Resort and the Caliente Resort north of Tampa. After a short while nobody even notices you have no clothes on. There's a wonderful feeling of liberation throwing off your clothes. One feels like a kid again.

Not really. From practical reasons to personal ones I think they should open a lot more areas for nudity but I don't like the idea of general public nudity.

AmyLF Level 7 Apr 1, 2018

PublIc nudIty must be banned,It doesn`t hIghlIght decentness of character. Human cIvIlIzatIon Invented cloths to cover theIr body. ClothIng should be decent to show,not be vulger to see. Decent clothIng Is a symbol of modernIsm , and nudIty Is a symbol of backwardness.

FAIZ Level 5 Mar 26, 2018

A lot of ideas from modern society came from Ancient Greece which idealized the nude body. In the ancient Olympics athletes competed in the nude. In ancient Greece and Rome clothign was more for warmth and protection than it was a sign of "beign civilized".In many cultures, although they wore clothing, thee was no shame associated with nudity. Shame for the nude body is a learned trait.

@snytiger6 clothing is actually being associated with civilised society, don't be panic,if ur daughter or sister roam arround u being naked what would u do? Will u support ? Or support them to be naked,clothing must be decent not be vulgar. Beleive or not but nudity seems good for others when a chance comes to apply it on ourseleves then tenets become change.

I work with a guy who is my height-5'7" and is way over 300 lbs and it's not muscle-so I really think that clothing optional is not an option here.
Although I think that the right clothing can make the after dinner date dessert way more interesting and fun.

I think ideals of beauty are nostly learned, as is feeling shame over how one looks.

The truth is that the guy you describe, would be seen as "disgusting" by most of society with or without clothes on. It is even worse for women. I dont' see any value to that learned behavior.

I'm not really sure if it something that we need to be seeing, nudists walking down a city street. If they wanted to go to places where nudity would be more acceptable, no problem. Would nudists be acceptable in the work place? Would there be limitations? Going nude on public transportation?

For purposes of hygiene there would of course have to be some limitations. However the idea of feeling shame about nudity or about ohne's own body is a learned behavior that I think society could do better without having.

Once I went to a nude diner...in Manhattan.

Aside from the health and safety concerns (skin cancer being high on the list) I wonder were nudists with a cancelled carry permit would put their gun. LOL

Kimba Level 7 Mar 9, 2018

I don't want to see everyone naked somethings should be left to the imagination

Some studies have shown that children raised in such an environment are psychologically better balanced, and some show that exposure to adult sexual organs contributes to a feeling of body shane and feelings of inadequacy in children. Maybe there should be more studies with better paradigms to get to the truth.

My general feeling about nudity is that it seems unsanitary to me. People can leave germs on places other people sit, and some areas that come in contact with those germs, some of which can sit there for awhile, are areas that are more likely to pick up disease.

Beyond that, my first husband pretty much insisted on only wearing a muscle shirt around the house, and I got really annoyed with having to constantly try to get brown streaks off my white couches and light tan dining room chairs.

Wow. It sounds like yo had good reason for your ex to become an ex.

Nudist culture pretty much has persons carrying dowels to sit on for sanitary reasons.

Between the studies for kids raised by nudists and non nudists, all show that if parents don't make children feel ashamed of their own bodies, then they have a more positive life outlook and higher self esteem. Body shaming is actually much more common among persons who insist that everyone wear clothing all the time.

Nudity is legal in USA since 1932....I mean, nudity in places designated to its practice. Now, public nudity in general needs a highly educated population no tolead to all kinds of problems.

Me: not going nude. Other people, don't really care one way or the other.

Honestly, I don't even care if people are having sex in public. LOL.

Neither one is going to be me however! Pretty sure that an audience would really kill my mood.

If only we all appeared like a Greek sculpture, what beauty we might behold when nude! But we're not, for the most part, Apollo and Venus, and the thought of all of us naked makes me shudder. And yet, upon further reflection, how many of us are blessed with flawless bodies? Perhaps it would do us some good to humble ourselves in this way? I doubt we will see that day, and yet I have periodically fantasized about being invited to a Betazed wedding!

Not all Greek sculptures we of models of ideal beauty, but those are the only ones we ever see or are (widely) photographed.

I would also worry about planetary nudity exposing one to more chances of major infections.

One shoudl nto doubt take proper precautions for your current environment.

I was just going to say there are many places to go for nudity. Wouldn't be difficult if all in your own house did. There are the Hedonism Clubs are an anything goes. I will uphold my comments of cancer. In the mid eighties, My teen daughter and I were tanned always. Eventually she got a serious dose of sun poisoning. After much worry and some extravagant dermatology bills. She was well and it sacred me enough, no more sun form. People remark on my pale creamy healthy complexion. I was at the store and met a former sun lady we sunned with.She was beautiful back then, but now her face was full of wrinkles and deep cave type lines through her skin. It looked like weathered leather and not skin. I just went through a huge skin cancer in a finger. I went through the removal of 2 spots on my back. I have to go once a year now and get skin checks. So while I think sun tans are attractive, I am happy with my pale creamy with only a few wrinkles. Thanks for telling me all your courses and degrees. You seem very well qualified to make many valid. I am interested in sociology too.I think

I was just going to say there are many places to go for nudity. Wouldn't be difficult if all in your own house did. I will uphold my comments of cancer. In the mid eighties, My teen daughter and I were tanned always. Eventually she got a serious dose of sun poisoning. After much worry and some extravagant dermatology bills. She was well and it sacred me enough, no more sun form. People remark on my pale creamy healthy complexion. I was at the store and met a former sun lady we sunned with.She was beautiful back then, but now her face was full of wrinkles and deep cave type lines through her skin. It looked like weathered leather and not skin. I just went through a huge skin cancer in a finger. I went through the removal of 2 spots on my back. I have to go once a year now and get skin checks. So while I think sun tans are attractive, I am happy with my pale creamy with only a few wrinkles. Thanks for telling me all your courses and degrees. You seem very well qualified to make many valid. I am intested in socialogy too.

Your answer was to a lady that as a teen through 20s and most 30s I was ALWAYS tanned. I loved the look. Then a couple things happened. My teen daughter got sun poison. We almost never were without our tans. It took about $1000 from a dermatologist and lots of worry about her condition. It took a while to heal. Recently, I went through 3 operations for skin cancer. One finger had a large squamous cell carcinoma tumor. After that healed they copletely checked my naked body. They found 2 more basil cell carcinoma on my back. They were removed and 6 months cancer free with yearly check ups now.Your idea seems to work for you, but as you can see, my life was and is differerent. I prefer a pale non wrinkled complexion.I get complements on how young I look. The sun does not provide that. I saw a lady who was a sun worshipper. When I met her she was beautiful. Years later we met, her face was like one wrinkly mass of leather. Her looks were gone. I was glad I quit. Life is free. It is what you want to make of it. You want a tan, my blessings and go for it. if you think nudity is fine, by all means, but few people I know would I have any desire to run around naked with and they don't either. But hey, it you like it and want to, I uphold your right to go naked. Some secrets with me are sacred.

You can be naked if you want, I don't care. I will say this. There are very few of humanity That I have seen in clothes could improve their looks by taking them off. Naked does not improve most of the world's looks.Too much skin exposed to sun=more chance skin cancer.

Skin cancer is primarily the result of persons who go from practically no sun at all, to getting a great deal of sun without beuilding up the boy's natural tolerance for sun exposure. For the most fair skinned persons, they should probably not risk it, if they can't really tan. Otherwise you cna greatly reduce risk by gradually increasing sun exposure, tanning and buildin thing a tolerance to sun exposure.

As for "improving looks", that isnt' the point. However, an all over tan does look much better than tan lines when naked.

For hygiene purposes, like having public benches, a loincloth should be the minimum for public outings. If someone has diarrhea, will you trust them to not leave their gutwrenching germs on the seat you are about to use? Let's keep public health in mind. I personally don't let my cheeks spread anywhere but over a toilet

How do you tell the difference between those people who are enjoying the nudist environment because they enjoy being nude, and those who enjoy looking at other nude people (or both)? Who "have a sexual agenda" as you put it? Isn't this rather a point of judgement? In the absence of blatant ogling or hitting on someone, what standards do you use?

You don't find it obvious by how someone acts, or behaves, as to what their intentions are?

@snytiger6 I'm just wondering, if two people are laying on a beach, both looking around, how do you tell with what intention each one is looking around? One could be looking around to enjoy the view of the ocean, the other could be enjoying... other sights, if you get my meaning. I'm not a mind reader.

@Paul4747 How does that differ from two people on a beach wearing swimsuits or clothes?

People are animals, and some thought of sex will happen when you look at someone you find attractive. I think, it is more a matter of whether or not you follow it up by annoying the person you are looking at.

I myself can admire another pesons beauty without thinking in sexual terms.

You can't. The rule is you never ACT inappropriately ! Respect is big. Everyone is equal.It's not about looking ( although you will ) it's about the freedom of not wearing clothes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1727
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.