Agnostic.com

308 29

Should public nudity be legal?

The AANR (American Association for Nude Recreation) has the view that public nudity should be legal as long as the person is not doing anything with the intent of sexually arousing either themselves or anyone else.

The most stated reason by members is to get over "body shame", because doing so helps boost self esteem and confidence. There have been studies showing that children raised in nudist family have higher self esteem and confidence and are just generally more comfortable with who they are as a person.

On the other side there are those persons who seek out nude beaches and nudist events who have seual agendas. AANR nudist clubs don't tolerate such persons, and forcibly remove them shoudl they show up. I refer to such persons as "swingers" because they seem to fit the swinger lifestyle more than they do the nudist lifestyule

However, as a point of freedom. A freedom of expression, which does tno do harm to anyone, shoudl public nudity be legal? As atheists are nto burdened with religious mores , I was just wondering what the people here think?

I am a natuirst (nudist) and I have ridden the Portland (OR) World Naked Bike Ride, which has over 10,000 participants each year, and I have gone on nude hikes, visited clothing optional beaches

So, what are your thoughts?

snytiger6 9 Oct 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

308 comments (301 - 308)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It depends where you live. If you are in Equatorial anywhere or between the tropics sounds like a good idea. Scotland, Siberia, New York. Nah!

Public nudity...really, no. most nudists are saggy baggy old folk and i do not want to see turtle heads or goffers.

Not sure if I really want to know what a goffer is....

Last time I was on a nudist beach there were some who should never be naked in public. Seriously though personally it doesn't bother me but its a bit cool for it to be an all year round activity.

I find that usually those persons who people don't wan tot see naked, also prefer not to see those sam,e person wearing clothes either. It is a learned cultural bias. Once Irealized that, I became a lot less judgemental myself.

My question really is where in public? Buildings? Parks? Streets? It would be insanely to allow public nudity in the streets. Parks maybe a better place, but not in the same area as people with families. You might feel free, but everyone in public has to take everyone else into consideration, before pulling the act. Buildings, like malls, movie theaters, grocery stores, etc., etc.. What about those people with un-pure thoughts when they see a naked person, and take it too far?

God!! NO can you imagine some of the sites you would see out there, and having had a meal I do like to keep it down!

For me it's all about hygiene. I have no idea how clean people are and how well groomed.

There have been a lot of repliesw were people share your concerns.

I do know that at nudist clubs, or businesses that are clothing optional (like spas) it is good etiquette to carry a towel with you to sit on.

Nope. Current American culture (one of the most prudish in the world) would not adapt to it. Way to disruptive.

I think it depends on wht part of the country you are in. My experience in the Pacific Northwest (Oregon and Washington) is that nudity isn't really a big deal. Although legally Oregon is much more nude friendly than Washington. I have been told hat Vermont as pretty nude friendly laws too

@snytiger6
I believe you're correct in your observations. I was thinking about the context (is that the right word?) of being nude. I cannot imagine any organization I've worked for allowing nudity in the workplace. What about visiting an art museum? Or say, attending the Opera? A courtroom? Would you wear a great coat in the winter traveling to a restaurant and then remove it to be seated? I don't see this happening here in southern Ohio.

@bigpawbullets I actually went to a slothing optional day at the Portland (Oregon) Art Museum. It was right before the World Naked Bike ride.. (Th =e Portland WNBR attracts more than 10,000 riders each year).

As for workplaces and businesses, they can have dress codes, and most do.

It didn’t work out in Bali

I am aware that Bali has nude beaches, but they are also a part of Indonesia, which although Bali is mostly Hindu, Indonesia has a lot of Muslim extremists. In either case Hindu or Muslim, women do nto have equal status or rights. Without legal equality, social nudism is problematic, due to a lack of legal equality.

@snytiger6 wait just a minute you are obviously one with issues with Islam. Only a very small part of the population, the highest in Islam, may be radical unlike Christians in America. Bali is a semi autonomous island where women for many years worn no tops until about 20 years ago hand stop the practice due to Americans, Australians, and Euros were googoo eyes. Indonesia is a relatively moderate state and let’s talk about legal equality such as women in this country are underpaid by 20-30 percent of men. Also check out the murder rate of women by men. Also research LDS and women..... I could go on but I think we need to be careful when throwing stones. Asaalam Alechum

@Millerski25 I only stated that women are not considered equal in either the Hindu or Muslim faiths.

I myself was raised in the Mormon faith, and in that too women were not considered equal. although in America women do (supposedly) have equal right.

In my mind any kind of inequality is unacceptable.

@Millerski25 wage gap is disproven, and men murder women at a 2-1 rate. not nearly as crazy lopsided as you seem to be implying (not that Im condoning it by any stretch, just correcting misinformation.)

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1727
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.