Agnostic.com

308 29

Should public nudity be legal?

The AANR (American Association for Nude Recreation) has the view that public nudity should be legal as long as the person is not doing anything with the intent of sexually arousing either themselves or anyone else.

The most stated reason by members is to get over "body shame", because doing so helps boost self esteem and confidence. There have been studies showing that children raised in nudist family have higher self esteem and confidence and are just generally more comfortable with who they are as a person.

On the other side there are those persons who seek out nude beaches and nudist events who have seual agendas. AANR nudist clubs don't tolerate such persons, and forcibly remove them shoudl they show up. I refer to such persons as "swingers" because they seem to fit the swinger lifestyle more than they do the nudist lifestyule

However, as a point of freedom. A freedom of expression, which does tno do harm to anyone, shoudl public nudity be legal? As atheists are nto burdened with religious mores , I was just wondering what the people here think?

I am a natuirst (nudist) and I have ridden the Portland (OR) World Naked Bike Ride, which has over 10,000 participants each year, and I have gone on nude hikes, visited clothing optional beaches

So, what are your thoughts?

snytiger6 9 Oct 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

308 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am a big fan of freedom and liberty. So, if you want to let it all hang out in public, by all means go for it. Additionally, you freedom and liberty only goes as far as the end of my nose. And, sight of someone's bits does not the end of my nose.

I wouldn't want someones dingle dangle and pubs around my burger and fries, but at beaches or such I don't see a problem with it. Yes, you do have those that abuse it, and per typical government SOP, instead of dealing with the individual, you make policy for all because of the 1% that cause a problem. Honestly, most places it wouldn't make sense, just for hygienic reasons (ballpark or Mcdonalds, I don't want your scrotum sweat on the seat I'm about to sit in)!

My Jehovah Witness daughter (raised in south US and went to Protestant church with me b4 I became atheist) just went to Jamaica. She was telling me (and I could hear the surprise and disbelief) about a 10 y/o girl she saw topless. I've spent time overseas, so I'm use to experiencing those kind of cultural differences. The girl was at a waterfall with her family. I told her yea, other than muslim countries, most of the world isn't as uptight or hypocritical about nudity as the US is. Plus, she was 10 years old, not like she was a sexualized being anyway (although US media sexualizes everything, including kids - just watch tween disney programs). It seemed she just couldn't get her head wrapped around that concept. But then again she is 24, and thinks she's got it all figured out how the world is 'suppose' to be now that she's an adult.

In Tahiti, U understand they had to change nudity laws (they nade nudity illegal) due to American tourists who did nto understand cultural context or cultural differences who cause problems (assaulted) the locals.

Our fellow Americans are not very sophisticated, and have almost no understanding of other cultures.

You are rioght, in that due to the behavior of a few, they create laws to regulate everybody, rather than just deal with those few who misbehave.

@snytiger6 nope...didn't know that, but doesn't surprise me. I always enjoyed my time overseas, looking at the world through a different lens so to speak. I experienced some anger and prejudice just b/c I was american/military, but the ones who gave me a chance were some awesome people, and I hope they thought I was at least a little awesome too.

I have no issue with public nudity. In some way it might be good. Many parents teach there kids there bodies are private and wrong for people to look at them. Many countries allow public nudity and have a more open life style. Beside we are born that way. it should be the person choice.
But limit need to be in place to like some work and place that may be dangerous to everyone

I'm all for having areas where nudity is permissible, I don't know about everywhere. At least go in stages.

gearl Level 8 Aug 21, 2018

I really don't care if people want to wear clothes or not. It is however, a point that identifies an atheist (by a Christian) as evil and will immediately polarize a conversation preventing any objective exchange of ideas. If that's OK then go for it but there are more subtle ways to indicate that religion is really contradictory, simply doesn't make sense, or follow logic that one would accept in any other aspect of one's life.

OCJoe Level 6 Aug 20, 2018

I am over body shame as are many others and I need no Eeeeewwwww factoring in, thankyuvurrymuch.

@Hercules3000 exactly! Instead of pretty colors, interesting textures, matching or not shoes........interesting & fun stuff!

I have a more complex view. My wife got mad when I told her is was not right that men can go shirtless in many places while women can not. People are weird about sex and associate nudity without the ability to pull them apart.

So knowing this I would say that it should be legal with some exceptions.

Public venues such as schools, libraries, playgrounds ect. should be avoided due to backlash and risks. Really it would be best to designate places it is acceptable. Not just to protect our puritan eyes but because of safety. In a sexually repressed society, public nudity can drive some to do the unthinkable. In an environment where children are protected and can feel safe if is fine.

I for one do not think I could walk around nude women without being in a semi constant state of arousal. That would be both awkward for me and these ladies that should have some say in the matter. I doubt I am alone there.

So depending on what your are proposing you got my vote, good luck getting it through a majority though.

Having been to nude beaches and nudist clubs, i cna assure you that you actually get used to seeign people nude and problems with "arousal" (erections) are not problem once a person gets used to nudity.

That beign said, for many guys, a first trip to a nude beach may have them spendign the first fifteen minutes or so layingon their stomaches, until they get used their surroundings.

@Hercules3000 In most venues yes. There are imo exceptions.

As those of the Wiccan/Pagan persuasion are fond of saying: "Harm none, do what ye will." I believe that about sums up this scenario. I, personally, am not completely comfortable being nude around strangers. However, I see no reason whatsoever why others who are at ease in that state and weather permitting, should not do so. I think the Europeans who have nude beaches, parks etc, such as they do in the Netherlands, have the right idea! People in the USA are still way too prudish and Puritanical in their thinking and practices. Laissez les bon temps roulez!

Legal is fine with me, as long as they're not right next to me, ever how that's controlled.

Maybe not within sight of traffic.

It should be legal but I'm happy to not see everyone naked. Just being honest.

Body autonomy is very real and should be practiced by everyone everywhere

IT's fine........ as a matter of fact, the whole breast feeding thing is getting hypocritically silly. If I wanna suck on a tit in public, it's between me and the titowner.

If you are an infant that is cool. Otherwise it is either creepy or sexual and either has no place in a walmart!

NO-o-o-o-o-o , please ! Especially when in Walmart, there are times I'm really grateful there are clothes - brief thought they might be ...

It would be a loooooong winter here ⛄⛄⛄⛄

Not for me, I feel safer clothed thanks. Ok for the spa, with my partner.

Not in the town l live in.

Yes!

Of course but if you think about it who cares? I'm essentially an anarchist so I can't understand why anyone would want laws governing behavior of humans that are doing things that are not hurting anyone else.

Yes on nude beaches

I think we need more nude beaches, or other designated area where people are free to choose whether or not to wear clothing.

Yes but... aesthetics can count as visual assault. People ought to understand that unless their parts look good, or there's a practical reason, they shouldn't be on display. This goes equally for buildings and cars. Ugly ones can have character but they aren't beautiful and most people who care don't want to see them. A proper view of self-worth, dignity, and aesthetics seems a proper prerequisite. Spandex is a privilege, not a right!

There are no ugly bodies, only insecure and/or unkind vewers.

The original post is designed to combat the type of narrow-minded view that you express ?

@Tompain1 That is factually incorrect.

@SimonCyrene You call it narrow-minded, i call it having aesthetic standards. Down with post-modernism.

@Advocate subjective opinion is not fact and therefore cannot be ruled as correct or incorrect. You can disagree but you'd be wrong.

There is no control on a nudist's secretions. Not good.

Or on your speach. Want to trade?

I used to go to nude beaches & I feel it's appropriate in designated areas (or events in your case) like that. Then people who want to avoid seeing naked people know where not to go. I think it's kind of different for little kids though. I spent part of my childhood in Europe, & at that time at least, most people didn't have their very youg kids (maybe under age 4?) wear swimsuits. So I always had my babies & toddlers naked at beaches & lakes here in the US, or playing in the sprinklers. Got a few 2nd looks but nobody seemed to be at all bothered by it. When they decided they wanted swimsuits I got them right away.

Carin Level 8 July 10, 2018

I too am a naturist. But I don't believe "public" nudity is a good idea. If society as a whole embraced the nudist philosophy then yes it should be legal. However shame and fear are too deep-rooted in the world. It would be a distraction that could have deadly results.

Yest another reason to oppose religion which indoctrinates and teaches people to feel guilt, fear and shame about their bodies. I think the purpose of their doing that is to lower self esteem and self worth, so that they won't dare question church authority.

Freedom has to get its start somewhere. Why not here and why not now?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1727
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.