Agnostic.com

308 29

Should public nudity be legal?

The AANR (American Association for Nude Recreation) has the view that public nudity should be legal as long as the person is not doing anything with the intent of sexually arousing either themselves or anyone else.

The most stated reason by members is to get over "body shame", because doing so helps boost self esteem and confidence. There have been studies showing that children raised in nudist family have higher self esteem and confidence and are just generally more comfortable with who they are as a person.

On the other side there are those persons who seek out nude beaches and nudist events who have seual agendas. AANR nudist clubs don't tolerate such persons, and forcibly remove them shoudl they show up. I refer to such persons as "swingers" because they seem to fit the swinger lifestyle more than they do the nudist lifestyule

However, as a point of freedom. A freedom of expression, which does tno do harm to anyone, shoudl public nudity be legal? As atheists are nto burdened with religious mores , I was just wondering what the people here think?

I am a natuirst (nudist) and I have ridden the Portland (OR) World Naked Bike Ride, which has over 10,000 participants each year, and I have gone on nude hikes, visited clothing optional beaches

So, what are your thoughts?

snytiger6 9 Oct 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

308 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Legal, yes. Practiced, yes but with discretion.

In Oregon many years ago, an Oregon State Supreme Court ruling ruled that nudity was a right under the state's constitution. People won't get arrested for indecent exposure, but can get arrested for creating a public disturbance. However, if being nude is a part of a protest, such as the Portland World Naked Bike Ride (which attracts over 10,000 participants each year), then it takes more than just nudity to be arrested.

Anyway, my point is that although it is technically legal to be nude, peopel use discretion about using that freedom.

Only in certain areas (nudist resorts, nudist beaches, etc.) It should not be allowed everywhere. Clothing protects us from the elements.

If public nhudity were legal, and seeign nude persons were nto so uncommon, then it wodl no longer be distracting for drivers.

It is true that not everyone woudl be fitowever, I think it is more of a question of beign free to choose whether or nto to wear clothing, and not for the entertainment of other people when one chooses not to.

To say you can't do that because of MY discomfort, means you want to limit the freedoms of others based on your own hang ups. I am nto tryign to make any acusions here, but just trying to turn things a bit so you might see things from a different perspective.

We are taught to feel guilt fear and shame associated with nudity, and most of that teaching originally was based in religious dogma. Few peopel have actually questioned if there is any actual reasoning behind the cultural norm of always being clothed in public at all times. As everyone knows what everyoen else has under their clothes, why do we go to such great lengths to hideit from each other?

I agree with you. Not only do clothes protect the wearer from the elements, clothing on others can protect us from them. What if they didnt wipe well and sit in public. So the next person sits in feces. Or you have a bladder leak? And clothing also helps conceal smells. Keep your clothes on??

Of course it should be legal. Clergy is against it, consequently it is right.

zesty Level 7 Oct 7, 2018

LOL... I am not sure if that line of reasoning is (completely) sound, but I like the approach.

who made the law about this in the first place

Holy US where nukes are ok but nudes are not!

@Hercules3000 no but they can blast your genitals right off! melt them, actually.

so it's all about genitals (and fitness)?

is a person just all about his or her genitals?
g

@Hercules3000 i'm not the one who brought up nukes. i do not associate nudes with nukes. i was just responding to what you said about them.

g

@Hercules3000 we only get one body. why hide it? what's so horrible about having a body? do we have to be perfect before being allowed to free it?

g

@Hercules3000 perhaps not ... but neither is it all about nudes, And nudes are far less dangerous than nukes... Just look the other way and nudes are no problem.

@genessa I thought nukes and nudes were too good to be missed because of the spelling ... and of course the fact the USA has a rather unhealthy relationship to military violence but shies away from nudity.

@PontifexMarximus i liked the play on words.

g

@PontifexMarximus, @Hercules3000 i am not venessa, i do not respect comments that, rather than being sincere, are meant to get someone off your back -- it decreases your credibility -- and i am therefore not off your back. you bid me farwell nicely but this statement was NOT nice.

g

@genessa an nuke sounds cute.

@PontifexMarximus given what some people think nudism is about, maybe it should be spelled nookie!

g

As those of the Wiccan/Pagan persuasion are fond of saying: "Harm none, do what ye will." I believe that about sums up this scenario. I, personally, am not completely comfortable being nude around strangers. However, I see no reason whatsoever why others who are at ease in that state and weather permitting, should not do so. I think the Europeans who have nude beaches, parks etc, such as they do in the Netherlands, have the right idea! People in the USA are still way too prudish and Puritanical in their thinking and practices. Laissez les bon temps roulez!

Public nudity should be acceptable so long as it doesn't violate public health or safety standards.

I can totally agree with that!

It was the Nude Bike Ride here in Brighton too, just the other day... Several hundred butt-nekked pedalers rolling through town in a convoy about a quarter mile long. And here and there, around the periphery, people were walking naked in the streets, even after the crowd had passed.

And you know what? Apart from the giggling kids, barely anyone batted an eyelid — it was completely unerotic and inoffensive. But this is Brighton.

I'm unconcerned by nudity, I'll admit. I'm no lifestyle naturist, but if I'm on a nude beach, I'll undress without anxiety (we have one in this city). Personally, I think nudity at any beach, park or leisure area ought not be a problem — same for your own property — but for hygiene reasons, yeah, keep any part of the body that harbours stank covered up when around shops, public transport, cafés etc.

The World Naked Bi9ke Ride in Portland Oregon attracts over 10,000 participants each year. It takes about two hours for all the riders to pass by.

Most people don't bat an eye, but there are always those few (usually the fanatically religious) who react badly.

I just want to say the female nipple is obviously EVIL but thankfully Baal gave men benign nipples. That's all.

LOL...

We were all born naked, we do need clothes for safety and comfort, but besides that we should just be ourselves and destigmatize just being ourselves.. no clothes needed

I would love to be in on that bike ride one day. I've been a nudist for 30 years or more. If the general population could see how family oriented mere nudity can be it would be allowed everywhere.

I've ridden in the Portland oregon World naked Bike ride several times, and it is a lot of fun. The Portlan dride attracts over 10,000 riders each year and is one of world's largest.

Yes.

If women can handle it.

What we can't handle are men's groping eyes and hands.

A more interesting question would be "Would you take your six year old child to a nudist beach?"
If YES Would you let them go naked as well?

'

I don't have kids, but I do see kids at nude beaches and nudist clubs when I go. Parents and grandparents tell me that the kids love to visit places where thay can run around naked.

There have been studies, and kids raised in nudist families are happier and have more confidence and higher self esteem. The conclusions of the studies is that when you dont' teach kids to be ashamed of their bodies they like who they are much mor eoften.

@snytiger6 Im not sure why happier, more confidence, or more self esteem are considered benefits. Humans arent the best while happy and comfortable. as a species we strive and thrive under pressure and adversity. Now of course that should be tempered with care, but this make my child perfectly happy trend has really gotten out of control, don't you think?

@dellik I think beign over permissive with children can get out of hand, yes. Chidren need to learn to do for the4mselves and learn the value of things, instead of havign things just given to them.

The idea of being happy as not beign at one's best, I don't agree with. Peopel who aren't happy will procrastinate and expend only the minimum effort to do a job and often leave a job half done for extended periods of time.

Persons who are happy and have high self esteem tend to more often finish wah they satrt and dont' procrastinate as much or as often, an dare more likely t9o look forward to a challenge.

@snytiger6 Fair. I personally find the happier I am, the less productive I become. Maybe its just a personality defect on my part.

@dellik I think it is just that when peopel are by nature more productive, that some people are awre enough to just stop and enjoy themselves when they are happy. Considering that l;ife is finite, I'd say takign time to enjoy happiness is a good thing and nto a defect at all.

I took my son to a nudist camp when he was prepubescent (can’t remember the exact age). He had a blast! My wife at the time, not so much. ? We only went twice.

@snytiger6 kids raised as nudists are harder to molest because they don't have that shame about their bodies.

Yeah, I really don't think much would change. We have a naked parade in Seattle which is fun but we don't even have many days warm enough. I was a Bay area hippie kid in the late sixties/ early seventies and we were okay with casual nudity but most people stayed clothed nearly all of the time.

I don’t have an opinion about nudity being legal, but it should not be illegal, if that makes sense.

I think I get your point there.

As another respondent pointed out, each person should be free to choose. Laws agains tnudity are mor eaobut controlling people than they are abbout providing any actual benefit to society.

One of my favorite T-Shirts reads "If we were meant to be naked, we'd have been born that way."

No harm really - could be interesting. Not for me though!

I would actually like to try a nudist event at one point in my life.

Do a Google search for World Naked Bike Ride and your nearest major city and chances are you will find one. In Portland Oregon, they have over 10,000 participants each year, but I am told that Portland has one of the worlds largest. London's first ride had between two and three hundred.

Anyway, The World Naked Bike Rides are protests about the continuing dependence on fossil fuels. That message usually gets lost in the news coverage though, but that is the original purpose of the rides.

In the U.S. the largest nudist organization is AANR (American Association for Nude Recreation). However, there should be similar national organization in Canada, the UK, Australia, etc... tht organize and promote platonic nude recreational activities.

There just aren't very many people l want to see naked, especially in a restaurant.

Of course there wold have to be some regulation for hygienic purposes.

It really isn't about "seeing" people, so much as it is about personal freedom.

@snytiger6 No, it is definitely about seeing people.

Optional is ok for some but not necessarily for others. This reminds of an old joke. A couple of shortsighted people were walking down the street when an older man jogged past them naked. One turned to the other and and said 'did you just see that man run past' and the other said 'yes' and then the first person asked 'what was he wearing?' and the other replied 'I'm not sure, but it sure needed ironing'.

RonB Level 5 Mar 30, 2018

Americans tend to be very puritanical. many countries in the world accept peoples desire to be naked in certain places, like the beach. in Spain there is no nudity law so you can be naked anywhere you like, which I think is excellent as I love being nude.
In America I believe that you can be put on the sex ofender register for being naked in public.when did being naked turn you into a sex offender? crazy

Technically, in some states, but not all, just beign naked can put you on a sex offenders list. In Washington State is specifically beign naked in front of children. Evidently the law makers of various states ,made the presumption, in their small perverted minds, that if you are naked then you must be wanting to do something sexual.

As many people only get naked for either bathing or sex, for many it is hard to imagine beign naked outside of one of those two contexts. Feeling ashmaed of nudity and of your body is a learned behavior, which seems to go unquestioned as to whether or not it is healthy or reasonable. Many states in the U.S. reflect the nonthinking, and blind acceptance of presumptions which are rooted in religion and religious ideas.

In the U.S. a lot of our culture still carries the religious idea that authority is nto to be questioned, especially with conservatives, and religion teaches or rather demands that people do not question their authority.

So, people are taught to feel shame about nudity and to be ashamed of their bodies, and they seldom question whether or not they actually should feel ashamed.

It's a form of cultural dysfunction.

Not strictly true these days - although it was more tolerated 40 years ago, at the end of the Franco era. Nowadays, certain beaches are designated OK for nudity, but there must be signs informing the public of the fact. That way one can choose whether to rush on to the beach or shun it.

When I was young I thought 'why not'. But in reality I don't want naked people sitting where I sit, or anywhere near me when I eat. It is unsanitary.
If people want to go nude at the beach, on the beach, I would not care. But I do not want to see old people naked, I am 71 yrs old. I am in decent shape, but I don't think anyone would want to see me nude if they could help it.
Young healthy good looking people are not so hard to look at nude. But I don't know anyone my age that I would care to see nude in public. Just seeing someone my age in a bathing suit can be bad enough.
I agree that if womem want to go topless like men that is only right. There is no sanitary issues with that. But bottomless in most circumstances is not good on several levels. On the beach is one thing elsewhere is a totally different issue.

I want to ad that if at sometime everyone accepted nudity, with sanitary precautions in place, then if someone chose clothes in a place with all nudes they would be the ones sneered at.
If all were nude there would be a lot more for others to poke fun at and shame others. Humans will not reach an evolved state, as some here think they have, for many more generations, if ever. Besides, humans like to look their best and dress up sometimes. And only a 1/4 of the population at best will ever look good nude. The rest of us will want some sort of clothing depending on the weather and circumstances. Sports in the nude would be hazardous and unsanitary in many cases. if you like freedom for your genitals just wear a big light weight sack dress or toga. Then there is the problem of skin cancer which affects more people than ever before in history, especially along the West coast.
I like the example some mentioned of areas where you are caught in a crush of people, like subways and concerts, etc. Even with people dressed there have been women raped on crowded subways. Imagine how much easier for such an action if everyone was nude. An erection in public might get you arrested for assault in such a crowed place. And that is something many men can not control.
Many problems with total legalization of nudity. I am for limited legalization for certain areas or venues. But it would have to be looked at by a panel and all aspects reviewed for sanitary, health, and safety problems before permission granted. It is not a simple thing in a modern society, even once the morality issues are put aside.

Google "Cap d'Adge" Is a nudist village. I would love to go.

Public nudity is already legal. At least I have been to nude beaches...

Ungod Level 6 Feb 25, 2018

I don't care if anyone wants to be nude it shouldn't matter. Unless they are at risk of injury or harm. I wish this was possible but even in places that allow nudity in certain spaces it's not allowed in the general public.

If people did not have a religious fanaticism over sex no one would be bonkers over being unclothed. If patriarchy did not rule, we would be relaxed and not trying to OWN women. Imagine being clothed only for the weather, or protection from nature. That would create a more blessed world. No more controlling and enslaving women, or men being taught that they must.

Yeah, the nudity laws are a lto harder on women than men... except in Arkansas, where I am told it is also illegal for men to go shirtless also. I seriously doubt such a lw is actually enforced though, so even there, women have it harder.

Well, let's face it, we live in a culture that for better or worse is infused with sexualizing everything and laced through with people who equate a social taboo against nudity with immorality. And cultural attitudes only change slowly. We seem to be gradually more accepting of the fact that gasp women have breasts -- although in my experience that's limited to people tolerating women who are nursing infants. When I've traveled overseas, women topless at the beach seems normal (and is not usually a particularly sexually stimulating sight to behold). A generation ago, thong bikini bottoms were criminalized in certain places, and a generation before that, bikinis or other midriff-exposing swimwear was scandalously revealing enough that they were banned in some places. So there is progress being made, just frustratingly slow progress.

And then, as the post points out, there are people who actually will abuse an ability to be nude in front of others in sexual ways and there's no way to sort out in advance who would be likely to do that sort of thing. While I might not be hugely bothered by seeing a nude person on the beach next to me, I would be bothered by seeing that person masturbate in public. And we all know that some people would do that even if a lot of nudists (naturists, if you prefer) would not. And then there's the guy who "forgot" his towel and just plops his junk down on the public bench anyway.

So unfortunately for those who would responsibly enjoy the ability to be nude in public, until the cultural attitudes change I think we'll need to have to keep on telling you to cover up those particular bits.

This could be argued with the chicken or the egg type of argument. Can cultural attitudes change first without allowing more nudity in society first, or will allowing more nudity in society change public attitudes to where it would be as accepted as it is in many parts of Europe? Either way, nothing would change all that quickly.

The real question as i see it, is should people have the freedom to be nude if they so choose, and my answer would be yet. So, although nothing will happen over night, I'd like to see our society and culture move in the direction where nudity is more acceptable. Especially so, because most of our taboos against nudity are based in religious dogmas.

Yes, pervs do go to the nude beaches, but natruists/nudists either ignore tham or laugh at them, and they are no more than a minor annoyance at the beach. The big annoyance is that the general public get a warped view of naturists/nudists in general beign sexual in purpose from the very few and infrequent pervs.

So nudge them gradually. Cultural attitudes do change. It used to be a crime to engage in sexual behavior with someone of the same sex and the idea of a same sex marriage was risible. Today, it's the law of the land. But it didn't happen all at once, it took a lot of hard work making incremental changes until the concept of tolerance gained a critical mass of social acceptance. Maybe naturism can walk a similar path.

If the religious hate was untaught and nature considered natural, a lot of twisted sex attitudes would go away. Bodies could be just bodies. Cultures have perverted sex and the body and it could be untaught. But, nudity would be choice, like wearing shorts in the snow or pajamas when shopping. Who cares if no one is hurt?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1727
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.