Agnostic.com

39 4

Should a man be allowed to force a woman to carry his child?

Recently, a male friend of mine shared a story of a man distressng over the fact that his sexual partner (I forget if it mentioned that they were romantically involved) was pregnant with his child and has scheduled an abortion without his knowledge. The man was very distraught over the abortion as he really wanted to have the child.

I personally feel for the man, and I definitely don't agree with the way the decision was made behind his back, but at the end of the day it is her body. What do you guys think?
I realize the situation is far from black and white so feel free to let me know your full opinion in the comments.

• 78 votes
  • 3 votes
MindAtWar 4 Jan 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

39 comments (26 - 39)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

that should have been established before the sex I guess. if it was just a sex thing then they should have put a rubber on it but if not the woman should have the choice. if your partners and not taking precautions then it should be mutual. if its an accident then talk about it. no forcing at all.

Yes the Man contributed the sperm(seed),but the Woman would have to carry the developing child for 9 months,was the pregnancy wanted,or just a moment of weakness on her part,maybe Alcohol was involved,or does rape play into this sad scene?

The poll has two absolutes. There’s no option for a shared decision.

If he carried the child then he could have the choice.

It has been put to me that the Swedes had a simple and pragmatic use for their very cold winters. Unwanted children, particularly mongoloid, were simply left on clothes outside the back door on a frosty night.
Comments and comparisons please.

So basically men would not want to fight for their offspring ?
My brothers friend was in that situation.
He told the girl that he would raise the child by himself. She's now a smart and beautiful 10 year old. He could not imagine his life with out his princess.

There can be other options if you want them to be. If not there's abortion.

The brainwashed bias here is very telling.

Woman's body-her decision.

It's not as simple as stated. some info is missing. did the pregnancy happen without intent? in that case it is totally up to the woman how to respond. did the pregnancy happen with intent, but before a break-up? in which case serious negotiations about the future of the child would have to ensue. but yes, in the end it is the woman's body; would the man in a similar, but inverted scenario agree to the woman determining his sterilisation? I didn't think so 🙂

Sounds like she would suffer through inhumane punishment.

Sounds like she would suffer through inhumane punishment.

Seems to me the woman should hear the man out before making her decision, and the man should abide by whatever she decides.

skado Level 9 Jan 22, 2018

Two sexes are required, both are responsible for ensuring pregnancy does or does not occur. The foetus has a right to live and life. The child has a right to be parented by both parents.
If you can't do the time don't do the 'crime.
I acknowledge that there is a huge problem in rape cases and pregnancies endangering the mother's life.

The child has the right to live irrespective of the clumsiness or stupidity of the parents. The child also has a right to both parents undertaking their responsibility to the best of their ability.

Where do these rights come from?

@skado the same answer that I give below: "Rights determined by mature adults determining equality and rational behaviour for all human beings.
They are documented in the International Human Rights Covenants and the Rights of the Child signed and agreed on by most countries over the last 70 years or so."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17330
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.