Agnostic.com

81 14

What is your favorite place you've ever lived?

As you can imagine, Arkansas isn't that great. Where would recommend to move and why? What did you like or not like about the different places you've lived or stayed for time?

EarthKate 5 Sep 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

81 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

For me, It's definitely Helsinki, Finland. Little religion, civilized people, abundance of awesome heavy metal bands, and hot girls! What more could a guy ask for?

No place is perfect. The places I enjoyed most were northwestern Illinois and Berlin Germany.

@byrdsfan i loved berlin,too. Being there during those cold war years changed my life in more ways than i can ccount, most of them for the better.

@Byrdsfan No, I was a soldier stationed at the US Army Hospital on Unter Den Eichen. Then I returned on my own and lived in Tegel. Married a Berlin girl and my oldest daughter was born in Berlin. I was there when JKK gave his famous speech. Yes, much of what was then East Berlin was still in a shambles from World War II.

Definitely would be Paris for me.

Hordo Level 6 Sep 8, 2018

San Francisco is awesome, but it's expensive. I'd recommend the suburbs if you're going to move to that area though. The actual city of San Francisco is a nice place to visit. It's also a nice place to leave.

Might I suggest San Bruno, Millbrae or Daly City. All within earshot of affordability yet still close to the inner city with the endless number of cool things to do and see that it has to offer.

You can also move to the east side of the bay to areas like Lodi and Stockton. These places are a bit of a journey to get to San Francisco itself and have some bad areas in regards to the crime rate, but housing prices are very affordable. If you want to go in to the city, you can simply drive to a park and ride near Antioch and take the BART to anywhere you want to go.

La Maddalena, Sardegna, Italia

This is a photo of La Madd.

Two answers:

-Wherever I am right now. Amor Fati. It happens to be Philadelphia. My point is, embrace wherever you are. It is what you have. Longing for somewhere else is self-imposed misery.

-Having said that, I lived for a year in Eugene, OR. Beautiful, progressive, small enough to be easily manageable but large enough to have a lot going on. Affordable. A fair number of woo-woo's but they are for the most part harmless and entertaining. Craft and artisanal everything. An amazing food culture. For you weed fans, I'm not sure anyone noticed when it was legalized. Everyone was already stoned.

Chiang Mai, Thailand. I wish I was still there. Even when I return for visits it still feels like where my spirit wants to be. Hard to explain that, but is true.

I have moved 23 times in my life. I was military, married my ex who was also military and stayed in til he retired, and then moved 3 times after he retired from the military and then 4 moves after divorce. So I have lived all over the US and overseas, and have ended up 50 miles from where I was born. That was not in the original life plan... Anyway, I loved Western Washington State best of all. We lived in/near Tacoma/Seattle/Everett area. So beautiful, so liberal, so many activities to do. Second favorite was the Kansas City area. I enjoyed the East Coast, so much history. Loved being close to DC, but hated the crowds, the traffic, the crumbling infrastructure. I loathed being in the south, don't deal well with heat/humidity/insects the size of cars/attitude. I also loved living in Germany, the distance thing though, can't get in the car and drive to my sister's house.

New Orleans. But it's not for everyone...just my personal pick.

Washington state for sure! There is so much you can do, and you live close enough to see Mount Rainer, or even close enough to go to the Dalles in Oregon. Plus they have longer summers and shorter winters compared to let's say Michigan..

My presesent one. I have lived here since 1984. I’ve lived here alone since my husband died 8 years ago. I love the privacy and the quiet as it’s in the middle of the country with nature all around. I also had a wonderful childhood in Edinburgh but don’t believe I could go back to city living., though it’s still a great thrill returning to the city of my birth with its spectacular views.

You can view my home on my profile page.

Right where I am at, Clearwater Florida.

El Dorado canyon, CO

I have lived in Liverpool most of my life. Bar a brief stay in London. So this city is my only and best choice. However the question was where is the best place you have lived? That prize has to go to my ex. Sunnyside, a road built into Princes park circa 1835. The park was originally private and the houses part of the development. Now split into flats but with a back garden gate into the park and a frontage that looks out onto a wooded copse. I could look out of my front window and watch the birds and squirrels. Then wake up overlooking the tennis courts and park. No traffic noise yet only 2 1/2 miles from the city center. At one point our house was the Bolivian embassy and I entertained notions that Butch Cassidy may have visited there. I do not miss my ex but I sure do miss that flat.

Harvard Square is my favorite so far. It’s always interesting with lots of different people, street performers, and wonderful cafes. I could sit all day people watching 🙂

Somewhere in upstate NY. NYC itself is nice to visit, but not a nice place to live, too noisy and dirty, imho. And too much crime. Upstate is quieter, and a bit slower paced.

I loved living in Florida near Tampa you were always an hour or so from any beach. Although I usually didn't go as much as I could have I miss it now. Moved back to Tennessee to be close to my aging mother maybe will retire there with all the rest.

Austin in the 70's and 80's
Louisville, Ky
Taos, NM

I lived in Japan for four years. That's my absolute favorite place to live. But I've also been to Spain and Israel, to name a few others I'd live. If I had to pick a state, I think I had the most fun living in Chesapeake Virginia.

Right here in New Mexico. I have lived on both coasts the city life is just stressful and polluted.

Denver, CO. My first 5 years out of grad school, I was young, single, in a big city, had good jobs, found a wife, my daughter was born there, trout fishing in mountain lakes above 10,000 feet, disco was in full swing, great bars, real Mexican food, bought my first house. I lived there from 1976 to 1987. Still miss those days.

I gave you a thumbs up for admitting you like disco. Brave very brave.

@Mokvon Well, I really didn't, but that's where all the women hung out, so...

@zeuser more respect!

@zeuser

Wouldn’t be the first person to put up with crappy music to get a date.

I once saw The Nobody’s and Damnation AD at a place down close by The Mercury Cafe which used to be a discotheque. Bet that place used to be one of your old stomping grounds.

To be quite honest I'll take North East Ohio.
After all no matter where you go you still are there.

When taking into account climate change, I think the Pacific Northwest is a solid spot. I'm considering the Olympic peninsula in the rain shadow so that the rain isn't overwhelming. Water will be less of an issue without the threat of sea level rise in many areas of regular draught conditions. Moderate temps year round are appealing. Other natural disasters will have minimal impact because of elevation, so tsunamis won't be a major factor. The Mountains and the sea are all right there.

What about fires and earthquakes?

@Akfishlady We have the same issue here. Last night we finally got some rain after months of drought.

@Akfishlady Right, there's always a risk. However, it's a lower risk compared to other areas. Temperature extremes are more likely everywhere, so I'm looking at areas that won't be as impacted compared to others. Some here have mentioned earthquakes on this thread, but that's a constant reality that is purely geology. Climate change is happening right before our eyes, so we just have to adapt and make an informed decision based on the data we have. If the rain became less frequent, then desalination is a great option in the region, which one can't do in Denver, Santa Fe, Austin, or any other desired areas.

Haven't found it yet.

St Louis, I really miss the sound of gun shots, lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:174185
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.