Agnostic.com

75 4

Can science and religion be reconciled?

I would like to propose a three-pronged approach:

(A-) From the historical point of view, the answer is Yes.
Thomas Dixon, in his very good and concise introduction "Science and Religion", writes: "Although the idea of warfare between science and religion remains widespread and popular, recent academic writing on the subject has been devoted primarily to undermining the notion of inevitable conflict. [...] there are good historical reasons for rejecting simple conflict stories." - - -
The same conclusion can be found in Peter Harrison's detailed historical analysis "The territories of Science and Religion" : "...the idea of a perennial conflict between science and religion must be false (...)".- - - -
And John Hedley Brooke in "Science and Religion" :
"The popular antithesis between science, conceived as a body of unassailable facts, and religion, conceived as a set of unverifiable beliefs, is assuredly simplistic." - - - "... an image of perennial conflict between science and religion is inappropriate as a guiding principle.".

(B. The personal point of view. - Again the answer is Yes.
There are real scientists who believe in a personal triune God, and in Jesus as their savior, and in the Bible as the word of god... and all the rest of Christian creed and dogma. These scientists assure us that they do not have 'split personalities' and I have no reason to doubt their testimony. They believe that God created the universe and life, and they see it as their job to analyse and describe and understand His creation. How they manage to do this without mentioning the Holy Spirit or the Divine Logos in their papers is up to them. Obviously they are able do this and they are respected by their peers.

(C.) The methodological point of view. - Here the answer is No!
Christian scientists may not have 'split personalities', but they have to practice what I would call a methodological atheism at work. As they enter the lab, they have to keep God out of their mind, or to encapsulate their belief. There is simply no possibility whatsoever to mix their work and their faith. Science as a method and religion as a faith can never form an alloy. Christian scientists may be motivated by their faith to work as scientists, to better understand His creation, but this motivation is confined to the personal level (B.)
The contents of their faith must never contaminate the method they have to apply so that the results of their work count as "science". The career of an evolutionary biologist would be over the very moment s/he opines publicly something like "The known mechanisms of evolution can only account for micro-evolution, but in order to explain macro-evolution we need a transcendent and divine force."

Matias 8 Sep 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

75 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

HOW. They never were in agreement from the beginning. WHY would you want to reconcile them?
What would be gained? Believe me, astrophysicists will not be talking about the "triune god." This brings up the question of why should anyone else be talking about gods in such a serious way.

A) Historical - NO. So many tenets of religion have been shown to be false. From origin in 7 days, to floods that didn't happen, to lack of Jewish in Egypt and the list goes on and on. No record of Jesus in Roman times, etc...
B) Personal - maybe. I don't begrudge that religion offers some solace to the very naive. We're all naive to some things. No one really understands the truth and that is why science is so important because it shows some of the truth to us one theory, one experiment, one proof at a time. So if religion taints your worldview and you try to make science represent that view it is a cripple. It will lead down false paths.
C) Material - no but you made a good enough case for this although it could be expanded upon.

Science is incompatible with any Fundamentalist or Literalist religion.

If you aren't a Literalist or a Fundie, then you are already basically harmless.

Many people do this on a personal level. What I would postulate is that motive matters. Not many scientists seek out a faith after becoming a scientist, it is almost always a world view they carry with them. So denouncing it would have a cost, a cost they are motivated not to pay.

The essence of this is whether it works well, and the best example would be the "god of the gaps". In reality science slowly replaces religion in more and more places. So in the compromise you dilute science by adding religion making it less precise, and you render religion pointless by adding science. The act of reconciliation seems like an effort in futility.

There are some that do.
For example. Dr. Kennith R Miller. He's a cellular biologist, and a professor at Brown, He is also a huge promoter of evolution. And Her is a devout Romen Catholic.
And there is Frances Collins, who led the team on the genome project, also a promoter of evolution, and he as well, is a believer in god.

Usually the norm for the elite scientists are Atheists, or at least Agnostic. but again, there are some exceptions.

No. Science deals in facts, and religion deals in faith and make believe in a God or gods.

Most religions are founded on the belief that your consciousness doesn't die right along with your brain (supposedly, there is such a thing as a disembodied spirit), and a god (a disembodied spirit) has introduced laws of the universe that govern the functioning of disembodied spirits. Since there is absolutely no basis for disembodied spirits in our universe or any universe I can contemplate, then there will never be a "reconciliation" between science and religion.

The arrogant will have to go on believing -- rather than knowing -- that the universe cannot go along existing without their consciousness being part of it, because it will never be shown to be true.

Never!

No, they cannot.

Religion is the antithesis of science. Science demands facts, peer reviewed research and an open mind to alter what is currently accepted if new evidence is offered. Religion is feelings, and faith and a rigid,unthinking adherence to established dogma. Proof is discouraged and expressions of doubt are considered heresy. Any information that challenges what they believe is rejected or ignored.

Science -- smart.

Religion -- dumb.

If science was a man and religion was a woman and they met on Zoosk and started dating then got married, they'd be divorced inside of 2 years once the honeymoon phase was over citing irreconcilable differences even if the sex was great and religion looked really hot in a black camisole.

I sense I went too far with that.

@Matias I read your post in its entirety. I wasn't responding to each individual point, I was offering my opinion on the overall question proposed in the headline because I think your "three-pronged approach" is wrong-headed. You're trying to be all things to all people. You asked one question and gave three answers: yes, yes, and no.

There is such a thing as objective reality and the objective reality with regard to your question is no they cannot be reconciled for the reasons I gave above.

Succinct, decisive, and logical.

@Matias Are you suggesting that because a believer carries the credentials of higher education, his/her belief in an invisible, magical superbeing in the sky should be taken more seriously than some rube with a GED? Wrong. It's equally as ridiculous for the man/woman of letters to believe in this nonsense as it is for anyone else.

The fact is, some smart people believe in stupid things. Belief in god would still be foolish even if Eisntein himself had believed, which he did not. In fact, the vast majority of scientists reject god. Those that do not are the exception. There will always be exceptions to any rule. That doesn't nullify the rule.

I repeat; there is such a thing as objective reality. That doesn't change because an individual has an Ivy League education. A PhD believing in and arguing in favor of the existence of god is no different than the same PhD believeing in and arguing in favor of the existence of the Velveteen Rabbit.

The argument can be dismissed on its face regardless of who is making it.

@TheMiddleWay

POINT-1: So you support the appeal from authority; a fallacious argument that claims because a position is espoused by someone with a higher education or even a Nobel Prize it must be lent greater weight and taken more seriously even if the argument is demonstrably false. I already debunked this in my previous response.

POINT-2: As I write this, I am drinking coffee from a cup -- that's objective reality. You're free to argue with me about it til you drop over dead and you'd still be wrong. If I proposed the idea that a man can fly by gluing eagles to his arms, I'd be wrong no matter how much I argued for it because, objectively, a man can't fly by gluing eagles to his arms. Understand?

POINT-3: This was a joke and didn't call for an argument but you chose to argue it all the same and your argument is just another appeal from authority. If the PhD is Science insists on arguing that god is real then the PhD in Science better have a mountain of evidence to prove his position. Since there is no evidence to support his position, he's wrong.

I've made myself clear so I'm done with this thread.

@TheMiddleWay

Okay, let's argue this just a bit more, but, the fuq is up with all the winky faces? You flirting with me? The answer is no. You're not my type.

NEXT POINT-!:You think suggesting a given source of info that supports your position proves you right? I could just as easily reference a contradictory resource then proclaim myself having proven you wrong. There's a resource of information to confirm or discredit any position anyone can take on most anything. There are resources to confirm and deny a flat earth, Bigfoot, and the Moon Landing. Citing an authoritative resource isn't the measure of a compelling position, It's the quality of the argument and the degree to which it convinces those who are undecided that determines whose position is strongest. Since we're just arguing with each other, we don't have that input. But if we did, my points would be considered more convincing.

As I see it. 😉

NEXT POINT-2: Okay, fair enough. So let me offer an example that comes with proof. As I write this, I am using a computer to interface with this website and post this reply. That's objective reality proven by the fact that you're reading this. You're free to argue with me about it til you drop over dead and you'd still be wrong. If I proposed the idea that a man can fly by gluing eagles to his arms, I'd be wrong no matter how much I argued for it because, objectively, a man can't fly by gluing eagles to his arms.

NEXT POINT-3: So far, you've tried to argue that the global scientific community embraces the idea that god is real while simultaneously arguing that objective reality is not. I can't speak for the global science community but many of the greatest scientists are on record as having not believed. This includes Darwin, Curie, Einstein, Hawking, Sagan, Krauss, and Tyson to name just a few. Newton did believe in god but had his own ideas about him that were in conflict with the church. Galileo, Kepler, and Copernicus also believed so what can we draw from this? Clearly there's going to be an equal amount of info to support either position which makes this debate little more than an academic exercise that can go on forever.

So in the interest if expediency, I'm just gonna proclaim myself right. 😉

@TheMiddleWay

POINT-1: To begin with, the information you cite is from a survey that is nearly a decade old. The difference between believer and non-believer is only 1% from being evenly split. With atheism on the rise, have you considered the idea that the non-believers could now outnumber the believers since there was only a 2% difference nearly 10 years ago as based on your resource?

Also, I never claimed to have global statistics but it's generally accepted that about 90% of the members of the National Academy of Sciences are atheist. I don't know if that number accounts for strict atheists only or also includes deists, or undecided so let's drop it to a more tenable 70%-75% That's still am overwhelming majority from a representative group.

Ultimately, the real question is why would anyone trained to apply the scientific method espouse a belief in something for which there is no evidence? That's the real question; not how many scientists believe but WHY. Science and Scripture don't align but these faithful scientists have somehow convinced themselves that they do. I'd like to know how they accomplished that bit of intellectual gymnastics.

POINT-2: I agreed I couldn't prove the cup of coffee example so I offered you a proven example of posting my response through a computer which you completely ignored so you could go back to arguing the cup of coffee. That I'm using a computer to post these replies is a provable fact that is the same for all people, all the time. Reality only comes in two versions: objective and subjective. Your continued insistence to subjectively deny objective reality using QM as a dodge to obfuscate simple and observable facts is unconvincing regardless of how much you repeat it.

POINT-3: So you DO understand the point I was making but are simply choosing to be contentious about it. As I said, I'm far less interested in how many members of the global science community embrace religion as I am why any of them embrace something that flies in the face of all they've been taught. Since there's no proof of god, no scientist should believe it.

In fact, I think I'll search the internet for that explanation. I'm very curious about it.

Sorry that marriage will either last a lifetime because they agree to disagree or 2 weeks. But why did they decide to get married? Just for the sex? Bad idea 🙂

@TheMiddleWay

And then I'll point out the weakness in your argument and you'll point out mine and over and over til we're both found dead at our keyboards having neither gained nor lost any ground so I'll conclude with this; your arguments do not convince me. Mine do not convince you. NO ONE is going to read this interminable wall of text we're producing. We've both made our positions clear so we're done.

Ya gotta know when to just walk away.

Reconcile:
rec·on·cile
verb

1. restore friendly relations between.
  2. cause to coexist in harmony; make or show to be compatible.
  3. make (one account) consistent with another, especially by allowing for transactions begun but not yet completed.

I'm not sure which definition you'd be referring too or why it would be important or useful. Friendly relations and co-existence are doubtful, compatibility and consistence are laughable. What would be the point, is there a goal in mind that has a positive impact?

When you apply science to religious stories the results are never reconcilable. Religion is either dis-proven or the result cannot be determined. Every faith based story has the same outcome. There's evidence of dinosaurs that weren't in the bible, but no evidence of the myriad of other made-up creatures that christianity makes claims of. Noah's flood or the age of the earth, all at odds.

You use 3 different viewpoints but really that is just a handful of people who think the two can be reconciled, you and a few historical figures. That's a handful out of billions so I'm sorry I can't agree that "the historical viewpoint is yes" and I also can't agree that "the personal viewpoint is yes" as I disagree. So really the only place we can agree is that the "methodological viewpoint is no".

So in summation I'm sure there are a few folks who wish we could all get along, but I don't see the value for the effort and I don't see the path to begin so why would I get on board with the minority?

whiz. you are quite the christian apologist.

On the surface yes. There is no need for open warfare. But on the fundamentals there is no reconciliation.
Religion is based on faith and believe of a supernatural entity/aspect of human being. Science is based on the hard facts. The scientific method needs to be the overlord for science to flourish and with this kind of philosophy any supernatural believe would be condemned to the “god of the gaps” mechanism. This mechanism is not very apparent in one generation, but when you look in the large time scale, you can see the god disappearing, being contested and “adapting” to the new reality.
Second fundamental difference:
Religion seeks truth and what is correct, to admit that your superior being can be wrong is a no go, and the efforts are always to prove it right.

Science and the scientific method look for what is wrong, incorrect. To “do science” is basically calculating the possibility of you being wrong and narrowing down this possibility. The “good science” never worries about how right a theory is, but in how wrong it can be.

An example:
Newton develop the classical mechanics and it looked very precise at the point of being considered truth, because we didn’t have equipment precise enough to see the imprecisions.
With time and development, we started to measure some imprecisions, and some wrong answers that the classical mechanics was giving.
Then Einstein came with relativity and showed that Newton was incomplete and with this new addition the calculations became more precise.
More precision means that if your theory is wrong, it is not wrong for a long shot.

By this second fundamental difference, the religious and scientific way of thinking cannot be reconciliated.

Religion says that there is a truth, we know where it is and maybe we can achieve it or get close to it and if it does not work, you simply convince yourself that there is something wrong with the conditions around you, but never question the truth.

Science says that we don’t know if there is a truth (basically if there is a mathematical model that can describe the universe or if at some point it will be fundamentally random), if there is one, we don’t know where it is and if it can be found, but we are narrowing down the possibility at the point we can use this approximation to do stuff.

@WhistlingFox Jumping in here, and I defer to @Pedrohbds, but that is what science is about--the gaps in knowledge. Science is continuously expanding (broadening) and digging (deepening). Science is never satisified. Scientists in each new generation seem never to tire at looking at things afresh. But in the areas where the data is limited, and the extrapolations weak, scientists are, on the whole, quick to make this point. The bottom line is this: science and faith are incompatible.

@WhistlingFox science is all about the gaps. Relativity and photovoltaic effects were small gaps on classical physics and poking the gap we expanded the universe that we knew.
But instead of filling the gap with magic, science puts a magnifying glass on the gap to see what is there. That is why religion is static (it evolves due to external pressure, not by itself) and science is fundamentally dinamic.

@WhistlingFox but yes, science aims to fill the gaps, so we hope that there is science in the gaps. But there cannot be, the Heisenberg principle for example is a gap that we know we can't fill with science.

No. Pure science is based on provable facts. Religion is based on belief. You can’t have it both ways.

But they do. It’s compartmentalization. One the physical realm, the other the emotional, spiritual realm. You don’t have to believe in the Bible or any other text to believe in something greater (I don’t btw believe anything) . I don’t think they blindly accept scripture. I think there is more than one way to have a belief.

@Livia If there is more than one way to hold a belief, then what happens when two beliefs, arrived at through the two different methods, are in conflict? Throughout our recent history in the clash between science and religion, in every case there has been disagreement, religious belief has been forced to conform to science. Do you envision a future where religion informs science, forcing science to give way to religious faith, and alter its findings?

@pnfullifidian You’re confusing two things by giving them equal weight - and then putting them in binary opposition.

The clash between science and religion is mainly because some dunces think biblical texts are the word of god and are error free, and equal to the world of fact. These stupid people are definitely in a binary opposition to science. But I am not talking about some backward Evangelicals or Baptists.

I am talking about people that have an educated understanding that the Bible is a text composed of myths, legend, oral history, histories, cultural and religious traditions and laws that were compiled over thousands of years in the Fertile Crescent. They have a philosophical and spiritual understanding of the Bible. I don’t know how many times I have to explain that not all Christians take the Bible literally. This philosophical and spiritual approach is common in places Britain and Germany.

Many compartmentalize the spiritual word and the world of science and believe in both at the same time, and they occupy different parts of their lives.

To me, that makes sense - the world of belief is an entirely psychological phenomenon- i.e. really undefinable as it is the realm of personal perception. Even psychiatrists will admit that they still don’t know the workings mind. It’s completely possible to have a spiritual need whilst being a quantum physicist.

Human beings are full of cognitive dissonance. This is why poor people love Trump even when he cuts their Medicare. People do, and can, continue to believe conflicting or incongruent ideas. That’s human.

I don’t believe in god or spirituality, I don’t see it informing science, but I do believe that religion can persecute scientists and suppress scientific discoveries and progress.

@Matias, @Livia “…I am not talking about some backward Evangelicals or Baptists.”

Since that is whence I came, it is this version of Christianity with which I am most familiar. It wasn't me who put the two at variance, it was my former religion. And yes, I was once a dunce too! 😉

“I don’t know how many times I have to explain that not all Christians take the Bible literally.”

Since I’ve never interacted with you before, you needn’t take an exasperated tone. I have met and engaged with some of these ‘lukewarm Laodiceans’ who are neither hot nor cold about their faith, and who, according to Revelation 3:16, Christ threatens to 'spew out of his mouth.' But when pressed, they often become somewhat flummoxed. I ask them to describe the basis for their belief in Christianity, which clearly is, according to St. Paul, Adam’s sin, which necessitated the entire plan of salvation. When pressed to identify which hominid was Adam, these so-called Christians either admit that they aren’t Christians at all (except in name only), or they double down and reassert the truths of their Bible. Either way, they lose.

“I do believe that religion can persecute scientists and suppress scientific discoveries and progress.”

I agree with you, wholeheartedly!

@Livia, @Matias “If you take a close look: religion makes very few factual statements that are in conflict with science on the same level.”

Very few? You must be joking, my friend! When was the last time you read the Holy Bible? Scripture is replete with stories (that the faithful accept as truth, and which little children are taught to believe) that simply could not, according to natural law, have occurred. And Christianity makes innumerable claims that are scientifically counterfactual. In fact, at least two of the key ingredients that go into the making of a Christian involve an affirmation of scientifically unsound events and circumstances: an ‘immaculate’ conception [oh, for a time machine and a decent rape kit to disprove that one!] and a resurrection from the dead [where’s a good coroner when you need one?], followed by an ascension [into space?].

“Religious belief just adds another dimension…”

Really? What dimension is this? What are the descriptive attributes of the ‘religious dimension?’ Is it a 5th dimension? Can you provide the maths to define this dimension, or is this more Chopraesque ‘woo-woo?’

“But if a religious biologist believes that evolution unfolds according to some "divine plan", science cannot prove that this is nonsense.”

Science doesn’t need to, and it doesn't care! In fact, it is under no obligation to disprove anything. We know that the burden of proof lies on the one making the claim, and any religious person, no matter what their profession, is saddled with this burden. Science need not "prove that this nonsense" any more than it needs to prove that a belief in leprechauns, unicorns, Santa Claus or fairies is nonsensical.

@pnfullifidian hi, the exasperated tone wasn’t at you. I have had to explain multiple times on the thread that there is more than one way to believe. Literal interpretations are not well received in Europe, where a spiritual and philosophical view is more common as are textual deconstructions like redaction criticism, and the ancient historical record is used to explain things like the codification of mosaic law [en.m.wikipedia.org] (I was taught these critical approaches at A level at secondary school in religious education class)
so the conflicts between scripture and science are less of an issue. It is not a common belief that the world was created 6000 years ago, this is clearly a creation myth or a combination of creation myths from ancient cultures.

Most Europeans are comfortable with differences between fact and an ancient text. We have many ancient myths, Sagas from Greek or Norse mythology and regard the Bible as a similar phenomenon, but with a clear message about how to treat others and be a generally good person.
Miracles are popular beliefs but again, are routinely questioned by many as are exorcisms.

We don’t generally think YHWH, God and Allah are different entities, which lots of people have claimed in the US. They are just 3 strands of the same cord. This is because of our geographic closeness to Israel and the Middle East.

Where things get more heated is on things like Papal authority or acceptance of transfiguration or the Trinity - more historical or doctrinal theory.
Belief in the scriptures as the literal truth and actual word of god, seem like crazytown to many European Christians.

So back to my main point - if you have a cultural-historical and philosophical approach to the Bible, it’s not really in opposition to science - it’s a simply a different academic discipline. Asking whether science and religion can be reconciled to me is like comparing chemistry to gymnastics - it’s a nonsensical question as the two are not related. They occupy totally different spheres that are not mutually exclusive- they are just unrelated.

It’s perfectly normal to think early cultures like the Canaanites has creation myths AND believe in Darwinian evolution.

@Livia Thank you for clarifying. Having had no exposure to ‘cafeteria Christians’ I’m wondering what’s the point of calling oneself a Christian. I mean, if you’re going to say that the Bible’s essentially a bunch of myths, and call miracles into question, then you’re likely to reject the concept of Adam’s original sin, for which the Plan of Salvation was meant to correct. And you might also reject that a deity would ever impregnate a teenage girl in order to produce a hybrid man-god, who would later be executed and come back from the dead, which is, of course, the heart of Christian doctrine. So, why even go through the motions of paying a pew tax and showing up to church once in a while, if you suspect the vicar himself is a hypocrite since he probably doesn’t buy into it either, and you honeslty think the whole thing is a load of BS?

@pnfullifidian There is a whole lot more to Christian theology than the things you mention. Mark doesn’t have the nativity story. The NT is I document in itself and you don’t have to buy into the OT to appreciate the NT. J’s ministry is not devalued by not believing in miracles. Pauline theology is not the ministry of J. Gnosticism is pretty amazing stuff. Salvation is a spiritual thing, not a end times who is left standing thing. The resurrection is a metaphor. I am sad that people who call themselves Christians hang on to all the hocus pocus and cannot see the deeper meaning. You all need some good German theosophical reading!

I could have said that in twelve words. Wordiness does not equate to knowledge.I keep it short and simple. One extra word not needed should be cut out. Keep it simple!!

no-oh...

Concisely stated. ty

I am 100% an atheist. However I can only know my own mind, belief is a weird human phenomenon. I think it can only really be accounted for by brain chemistry or something, however there are people who are incredibly educated and active scientists who believe. Their argument is not that they believe the Bible creation stories, but they are mind-blown by the universe, and the complexity of the biological world. Their exposure to science intensifies their wonder and belief in the “oneness” of “the creation” a.k.a the interconnection and interdependence of the universe and all things in it. I have heard scientists say things like “God is Maths” or that they are profoundly spiritually moved by the amazing adaptation of genes to the environment. It doesn’t mean they signed up to Genesis’ creation myths or Noah’s Ark or even the “intelligent design” theory. Belief, and lack thereof, is varied and personal, so I don’t go in for arguments that deal in binary opposition and reductionism. All humans are full of incongruous behavior and belief.

Livia Level 6 Sep 9, 2018

I would give it a big F.

If you were to plot the trajectory of thought evolution comparing science and religion you would find that science is moving upward and away from religion. That's because religion is rooted in dogma with not much emphasis on testing, refinement and creation of new hypotheses. In contrast science is built on the scientific method which is a an infinite generator of new thought. Consequently in my opinion scientific knowledge will relegate religion to the history books where it belongs.

R u seriously asking this , or this is an oppurtunity to preach . I don't have the degrees u claim to have , and not the best to articulate in English , and not in great mood for arguments . But I do have enough common sense and English to ask u this , sir . R u a religious / Christian ? Because I can tell u that much , u ain't agnostic or atheist .

Does the Pope shit in the woods?

godef Level 7 Sep 8, 2018

i think they have to be in denial, or redefine god in some compatible way, or both. so my answer is a general NO. i have also never seen or heard of any of the supposedly respected B scientists.

g

Observation of the universe and derivating understanding from those obesvations does not nessacerly preclude the existence the divine.

I completely reject this analysis. To my mind, they were never apart. To explain … First scientists and first religionists used the same processes of observation, planning, prediction, conclusions BUT the differences are that religionists had the wrong theories and imposed conclusions. They should have accepted that there may not be a conclusion [ agnosticism]. Because they made prediction that the ordinary man or woman cannot make they observed the power of seeming to know what everything was about and took on a privileged position alongside royalty and leadership. This power and privilege they are reluctant to loosen. Scientist who are also religionists have developed the habit early on of partitioning the brain to keep close to friends and relatives who have not developed this capacity–something the brain IS wired to do-e.g. split personalities etc

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." - Tim Minchin.

Faith always yields ground, eventually. Advanced science is still in it's infancy. Give it two thousand years and we'll see what religion there is left.
From what I hear, Newton makes no mention of magic in his equations until he hits a wall. Only when he can't go further, when he can't make the math fit, does he invoke god.

It's different for different kind of believers. If you believe god created the universe and then left it alone, thee is no dissonance. It's only a problem if you keep looking for magic.

Very judgmental on very little evidence. True sign of a religious bigot.

@Jimmyboy See conversation below....

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:174495
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.