Agnostic.com

39 10

Did you ever have a job that sucked the life out of you?

My worst job: in a shared cubicle. Lots of gray walls. Many Xtians. Lots of prayers. A friday preacher. Brainless work that killed my wrists and my feeling of mental well being. It's a scar on my "soul." But, a lesson well learned. I will never work in a cubicle again!

You?

silvereyes 8 Jan 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

39 comments (26 - 39)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That's why they call it work. When I had a boss most of them sucked. Now that I am self employed I love my job! Comedy magician for young children.

ebdb Level 7 Apr 6, 2018

Yes! When I worked at Walmart as a greeter. Absolutely hated it. I’d never do it again. Eight hours spent just standing and greeting hateful people. Most boring job I’ve ever had.

yes when I was 15 I decided ot leave school and home and work then was a buyers market I could walk out of a job on Friday and into a new one the next Monday. My boring job was as a line checker for stockbrokers it consisted of checking the amounts on the stockbrokers fancy open up brochures with the amounts on a paper list - if they tallied you drew a line through the whole written transaction - It was mind numbingly boring.After two weeks I left to be a laboratory technician.

Yes...Nursing....

Retail. Dealing with 100s of customers on slow days and 1,000s of customers on really busy days and the holidays. Answering the same questions every day all day. Customers treating you like you're their slave. Blaming you and giving you shit for not having what they want. Having more responsibility than they're paying you for. Dealing with managers that have something to prove to their managers so they ride you like you're getting paid so much more than you make. Getting talked to one way and treated a completely opposite way where they praise you and tell you that you are the reason why the company makes so much money, and then not treating you like it. Being on your feet your entire shift. I did a 36 hour shift one time where I had 1 lunch break and like 2 twenty minute breaks. Can you imagine trying to find hiding places within the store to get away from it all for a few minutes? The stories I can tell. It was more like a whore house too.

Hmmm sounds like when I worked for Met Life in West Los Angeles. It, too, was a soul sucking, cubicle job, although we did have some decent perks that made it slightly less horrific. It was the headquarters and was designed in 3 buildings of three varied heights, nice architecture, but we did have a state of the art gym on the third building with a sauna, massage chairs, a tanning thing (but I loathe tanning everything), massage room, indoor pools, 3 hot tubs, another hot stone, cedar sauna with stone benches, was nice... we also had a full cafe style cafeteria and even a few restaurans on the three different buildings at this platues with ourdoor or indoor dining... we had a mini theater and we had a free movie rental kiosk and if you worked there, you could take and/or return up to 5 movies every 24hr period so I watched a ton of movies since we were, again, in Los Angeles and constantly had the newest movies there, free, soo I mean... the job, itself, suuucked! I was in accounting, uuuugh, worst job decision of my liife, but I took it, at the time, because I was working three jobs to make ends meet and to pay for student needs and this one job replaced all three, income wise, and the benefits were amazing (it was MetLife, afterall) and I had pre-existings that they wouldn't deny. I used the perks so I didnt feel As Raped as I Could Have. lol

Sadoi Level 7 Jan 23, 2018

Unfortunately, I currently have a life that's sucking the life out of me.

Punch Press Operator

twill Level 7 Jan 23, 2018

I was vp of services (consulting, tech support, & training) for a startup in the silicon valley. The CEO was the most intense woman I've ever worked for. She had her admin pick out the jelly beans that she didn't like for the bowl outside her office. We used to go visit clients where we'd fly the red-eye somewhere goto one client, then fly to another city or two that day seeing other clients and potential clients and fly back to SFO. It was crazy. Then I found out she barefaced lied to me about what was in the budget for my position when we were doing fiscal planning. I quit, got a dog, took 6 months off, and decided to stop traveling so much.

Work as Night Audit at small hotel. Job is okay, not too challenging though. Pay is shit, and the boss is the worst human I have ever had the misfortune of meeting. She is rich, entitled, and treats everyone like shit, unless she thinks she is pulling a fast one on you. Steals minutes off people's time cards, tries to get out of paying sick time mandated by law. Steals tips from wait staff. Cusses you out on the telephone. Monitors everything that goes on in the hotel, she even has a mic at the front desk so she can call and argue with you when you are talking to a guest. She has an employee handbook that has so many rules, some which make little sense, that she can fire anyone for "cause" so to avoid unemployment. Turnover rate for last year was 77 people for a place with a staff of 20.

LOL, jokes on me 'cause I have been here for 3 years.

@silvereyes I am looking... Probably need to move to better area though

A Friday WHAT? Are you serious? I need to pray for, yes I did, I slapped myself on the mouth for saying that. After reading that I guess I never had a job that drained life out of me. I did have S Corp and employees, and between the customers, taxes, and the employees, I felt pretty drained sometimes. Come to think of it my health suffered because of it. I still think you have the bigger owy🙂

I was once a vampire's assistant...

I have been a teacher for 20+ years. In the beginning, I was bad at it, so I didn't like it. After a few years, I got better, more confident and skilled, and I grew to like it. For almost a decade there I actually loved going to work. Now, I'm five years from retirement and wondering how the hell I'm going to make it. Some days do suck the life out of me. On the other hand, I had jobs in HS and college that were retail (at a toy store. at xmastime.) and call centers - ugh!

I think they will not make you retire.

Your suffrage in a cubicle is a hard lesson indeed, I spend my life learning from others mistakes and the cubicle life was not a missed opportunity. Currently I'm situated in the retail life and although the work is by far the easiest I have ever done the suffrage of stupid management never goes unseen daily. From construction, to service, to military, to retail; I have yet to find a clue to what I want to do and after 40 years I wonder if I'll ever find it. So good luck finding yours and use the cubicle life as a learned lesson.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17587
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.