Agnostic.com

38 10

What do you guys think.

So , i was recently at a funeral service, my mother's. I have been an atheist my entire life. and my siblings are non "believers" as well. My mother had discovered jehovah in later years. I really don't know much about that sect. The only thing I do know is that they think/beleive is that only 150.000 people will allowed into heaven. That always made me wonder why anyone would really want that???. My question is that during the service the pastor seemed to be using Jehovah and Jesus Christ in the same sentence, he refered to jehovah as god and JC as the holey son. Now i do know a good deal about christianity and the whole think just seemed odd, even flawed, but idk, what do you guys think.

Carla1963 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

38 comments (26 - 38)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think it's no more, or no less silly than what's in Every Other Religion.

So sorry for your loss. I just lost my mom recently also.

I know less about the JWs than I do about some of the other Christian sects. After a while it all sounds equally bogus, so knowing details ceases to matter to me.

Deb57 Level 8 Sep 20, 2018

I’m so sorry for your loss. I went to a funeral several years ago for my in laws who are are also JW’s. My ex is a recovering one. They are not xian they are considered pseudo xian or cult like. This is a made up religion by one man like Scientology or seventh day eventists. They’ve had rapture predictions that came and went where people gave away or sold all of thier worldly possessions waiting for Jehovah and they still are.. lol. Be glad you’re not in that mess.

Jehovah's Witness is an apocalyptic cult related to the Seventh Day Adventists, both of which sprang from the Millerite movement of the early/mid 19th century. Miller is famous for having precisely but erroneously predicted the apocalypse not once but twice. Lots of people believed his prediction and went outdoors to wait for the rapture, which of course never came. Both times! It is a shining example of the resiliency and persistence of unjustified belief even in the face of overwhelming contrary evidence. It's actually kind of scary.

My sympathy for losing your mom, that's always tough. As for the JW's conflation of various mythical entities, remember that it doesn't have to make sense in order to be horseshit. This is a good example of that phenomenon.

Read all about them here:
[en.wikipedia.org]

Beliefs here:
[jw.org]

I thought Jehovah stood for God, and of course, Christians think Jesus Christ = God and son of God. So I think the pastor was right, I guess, in using both Jehovah and JC in the same sentence.

Sorry to hear about that. Well, funerals are more about supporting the grieving families than anything else.

My mom died in 2008 and I went to the funeral, but that was the LAST religious funeral I will ever go to.It was a catholic mass. They are not quite as bad as JW, but not far behind.

My condolences on your loss.

Sorry about your mom. Cancer got mine last may. I do not think we had a religous funeral with mom,sister and grandparents. We just had a wake for all 4. If i recall my cultural anthro stuff. That is one of american sects. It was one of the american sects that came up with rapture. Sorry for your loss

i am sorry about your mother.

re jw, i have a friend/acquaintance who was raised, and still is as far as i know, jw. she has told me about sexual abuse and the church's main concern regarding it, which is to cover it up and punish people for speaking out. that doesn't make me like them much, as delusional sects go.

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:176177
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.