Agnostic.com

11 1

Will things in the world continue to get better?

Marine 8 Sep 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

how can they continue to get better when at the moment they're getting worse?

g

We could get rid of the republicans!

@Marine we're working on that... at least i hope we are.

g

It will continue to change.

Better/worse is a social construct and will differ depending on who is on the receiving end of that change.

It's getting better? I must have missed something. 😕

we could get rid of the republicans!

I doubt we will see things get better in our life time. If, we had more people care about the planet and less religious fools. Then it might get better.

Maybe the democrats will surprise us and do something about it.

it's not getting better

Medicine has been improving.

@Marine while the world around us crumbles

@LeighShelton Bad it is but not that bad that I give up hope.

@Marine let's hope your right but I think not.

Continue to get better? What part of this Global mess going on right now makes you feel that it is getting better

medicine is getting better.

Is this a scientific question, or a philosophical one?

Answer both ways

Depends on your perspective.

How do you define "things" and "better?"

If you define "things" as our increased technology that allows increased mining and burning of fossil fuels producing higher green house gas levels triggering environmental positive feedback loops including methane hydrate, frozen methane, ice melting (albedo effect) causing warming temperatures (LOOP repeat). If you desired outcome is a rapidly warming world with probable catastrophic results causing increased environmental refugees, Yes, looks like things will continue to get better.

Medicine has improved.

?? It's getting better now? What criteria are you using..apparently not the environment, the government, the treatment of other races, the near extinction of most of our iconic animals..rhino, elephants, tigers, etc., most people not being able to make a living or afford housing on current salaries, despite college degrees.

If you mean, there is faster technology, we also need to start making new devices sustainable because of the vastly increasing piles of toxic tech waste polluting the environment.

Of course, there are plenty of solutions, including making the chassis hemp or plant based, making new devices upgradeable with interchangeable parts, making everything green, sustainable, people choosing sustainable housing that can be used off-grid, tiny houses, etc.

See above comments

My son who is a PHD economist who's specialty is macro economics says that by every metric they use the overall human condition is the best it's ever been and this trend will most likely continue into the foreseeable future..........

@TheAstroChuck Actually a lot of economists knew that those economic policy's and trends would eventually go bust. My son says that economics is like predicting weather. You have a good idea what's coming but nailing down the timing and severity can be elusive.

During the 21st century and before technology has produced answers to the world problems. However the problems we are beginning to face may not be as easy to rectify in the future.This is due largely to an ignorance regarding the basic scientific facts. This can be seen in a rejection of GMO's,the use of alternative medicine and general distrust of anything with the word chemical in it.The educated just lack the basic principles of science.
We have environmental threats such as climate change ,dwindling energy supplies,pollution of our oceans and water supplies and religious wars,nationalistic wars,the threat of a nuclear war. These problems can not be totally resolved by technology and have global impact.

Really? You're defending GMOs and toxic, Big Pharm medicine? you might try reading more, not just believing conventional ideas.

Link: BBC- Evidence is growing that cannabis cures serious diseases like cancer. [thehealthcure.org]

Link: Patients should be warned about the dangers of chemotherapy after research showed that cancer drugs are killing up to 50 per cent of patients [telegraph.co.uk]

Link: “Several animal studies indicate serious health risks associated with genetically modified (GM) food (AAEM 2009),” including infertility, immune problems, accelerated aging, faulty insulin regulation, and changes in major organs and the gastrointestinal system. The AAEM has asked physicians to advise all patients to avoid GM foods.[1]

[responsibletechnology.org]

@birdingnut Refer to scientic review by Steven Pinker Progressophobia who points out that testing has been done in un-scientific manner by unqualified people. Ca. laws even prohibit save foods and compounds from use do to improper application of science testing.

@Marine The testing that approved those things were done by the companies themselves. Self-regulation is NOT going to be fair. The tests done by other companies showed different results. You are uninformed and I think I'll just block you. I don't like people who support Big Pharm, Big Oil, etc. You are with the enemy and part of the problem.
Get a clue.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:177331
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.