Agnostic.com

34 6

Generation Gap

Do you see your generation as better, stronger, tougher than the one after or before you?

When I was a kid I always heard the "back in my day" from my parents/grandparents. People would complain about Gen X (my generation) being lazy, entitled etc.

Now I hear people constantly complaining about Millennials and Centennials being lazy, entitled, not as smart, etc.

Are we as humans really getting worse and worse or is it just a symptom of older generations not adapting to change well? Thoughts/comments?

Crimson67 8 Jan 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments (26 - 34)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The generation before me fought WWII; so, no to that one. My daughter, her husband, and their friends, at least the one's I've met, are so much smarter than me, I'd have to say no to that, too. I just see us all as different, insofar as any generational strengths or dominant characteristics.

As a GenXer that often manages large teams of millenials, I find them to simply have a different attitude about work. For most of them, work was simply a tool. They put in their time, did great work, and wanted to get out of the office as soon as they were done. They put focus on work being a tool to make funds to do the things they loved. It was a pleasure to manage teams that worked together and had pretty simple needs.

Geeze... I just don't know.

I have to agree that melenials are incredibly hard working. The issue that concerns me is a general lack of empathy

I don’t get the, “why they’ll save us all”, on the cover?

Sure I see things different than the generation of my children. I have more experience and they have less. My memory of experiences goes back to, let's say, 1961 (I was 10 than), they were born in the eighties. In the seventies I experienced a lot of what was going on than. I'm of the Woodstock generation, but than in the Netherlands. But why should I bore my children with "back in my days". They have to build their own experiences. They are still young and that has surely benefits, I'm old(er) and have more experience. So what. When they will be 66, they will have just as much experience as I have now. I'm just ahead of them. The thing is of course, image of social life (and I don't mean church-community life) is so different. Luckily I experience a lot of youngsters that are involved in the world. Thinking of justice, social roles, etc., etc. Not my kids though. My son parted from us and my daughter lives a pleasant life. Surely social with her group of friends, sporting and other activities. I can't have a good conversation with her, most likely because she had a quite hefty puberty and we clashed a lot at that time. Things are okay now, but still we both try to prevent to converse about differences of opinions. She is just as stubborn as I am, but not so good in argumentation.
She's a girl of her time, but not lazy, smart enough, has a good job, doesn't even play computer games, although she has her smartphone always within reach. A girl of her time as she should be. Why should I do what I hated from my parents?

Gert Level 7 Jan 23, 2018

I think that there are people that might not fit the trend that many other people in their generation set, but I think things started to go down hill after the generation "Greatest Generation."

The ones that are younger. I see a big flaw that, not all but a lot of them rely on modern devices. If an IMP etc. would take out a satellite. The internet is not going to tell them what plants to eat or other basic survival skills and Bear Grylls can only tell you so much until you do it yourself it is a tough job surviving.

I find the generations after me less independent, less ambitious and more apathetic.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17757
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.