Agnostic.com

3 5

LINK Americans Want to Believe Jobs are the Solution to Poverty

This article is excellent. Not a soundbite, a thorough examination of the conditions and biases that millions of Americans are facing.
I feel that the bias in place goes a long way in keeping conditions as they are. Too many people are unaware.
In my state the minimum income for receiving aid - food and insurance - was lowered by $3,000 from 2017 to 2018. The result of that - a full time minimum wage earner is now forced to buy insurance and go hungry.
-ask my son, the full time college student , full time worker, who is now without health insurance.

AmiSue 8 Sep 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

the NYT site isn't cooperating. however I would say that it's pretty obvious capitalism is not the solution.

@AmiSue i will... and i agree.

Interesting read. Thanks for posting it Ami.
I'll have to read it a few times to absorb the entire thing. The two things that popped out the first pass through are:

1. Upward mobility is in fact, a myth. I believe that this has been true throughout our country's history. That's why it makes such a great story when it occasionally happens.
  2. with the above stated, the fact that we've a "caste" system here in America becomes evident. I'll have to reread the article, but I'm betting that the young mother is in the same situation her mother was in. I'd be curious as to the economic lifestyle of the Agnostic.com's population. Are you in the same "class/caste" as your parents? I am, and our kids are. Breaking out and up is not usually an option. So, to follow my thought further... does this mean that the "living below the poverty-line" is the fate of a caste of people which cannot, except in rare cases, be changed? That's depressing.

I'd say yes. I'm not disabled, as my mother was but despite my hard work and good education: I'm almost exactly where she was at my age.

Yes. There is massive denial about the plight of the working poor in the U.S. people come up with every excuse and reason to blame the workers when it's these massive corporations refusing to pay people a living wage so CEOs and shareholders can get massive payouts. Well past time we were out in the streets demanding change.

that seems to me like pretty much it in a nutshell.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:177786
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.