Agnostic.com

35 8

What is an item you've inherited that you most treasure?

I have my late grandmother's 60+ year-old typewriter. It's a small manual that works with a ribbon where you have to hit the keys very hard. She used it for work after my grandfather passed, which was before I was born. This was back in the days before auto-correct and even liquid paper, where if you made a typo you had to start all over again, and my grandmother was a fast and immaculate typist, even well into her 80's. Even though the typewriter still works, I won't use it. But I treasure the connection I have with her, because being a typist (okay, the more recent term, "word processor" ) was my bread-and-butter for many years.

bleurowz 8 Sep 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I haven't inherited much worth keeping. I inherited seven guns from my grandfather, which I sold to a family member to buy my first guitar. So that became my most treasured possession out of anything that I've inherited in a sense. I also inherited a small jewelry case full of old knives and pocket watches and trinkets. Not much in there is worth a lot either, a couple of the knives are collector's items and began my own collection of knives, although I prefer to collect usable tools for their utility than showpieces. I sold the jewelry that I've inherited when in a tight spot, so that helped. None of my family's treasure has ever been anything worth getting too attached to though.

I'm in the process of cleaning out my childhood home, which will be the only thing worth a shit that I'll inherit from my father. He trashed the place worse than an episode of Hoarders minus the dead cats, no exaggeration. I've spent the last year pulling trash out of it and trying to get things back in working order. Still got a lot of walls to redo and kitchen appliances to buy, but I think I'll treasure this place once I get it back in decent shape.

Cant edit but I forgot to mention a giant heavy patchwork quilt and a probably 50+? year old cast iron skillet. Those are handy and shall remain treasured as well. Ive got more treasure than I thought. 🙂

Pictures of my parents when they were young.

I love old pictures. I have pictures all the way back to my great great grands.thankful to mom for saving all of them.

I have a green glass candy dish with a chip in the lid from my grandma. Probably not worth more than $2 but I spent many hours staring at that dish wanting candy. No idea why I didn’t just ask if I could have a piece, lol.

This reminds that I have a green glass souvenir saucer from a fair in the 19teens that my grandma kept of her sister's. It is stored away in my cedar chest. I should check its value

Agree!

I have a few things. I have my grandma and grandpa's little book from when they were married in 1926. It has her entries about when they met, guests at their wedding in her parent's parlor, her dress, shoes and flowers. It is incredibly sweet. I have chalk and charcoal drawings of my sister and myself, from the Illinois State fair, in 1950. I was 4 and my sister was 3. They are in the original frames that mom put them in. I have a bracelet that my dad brought my mom from Germany, when he was a medic in WW2. He nearly died of his wounds but he bright it back. I all have a silver and turquoise snake ring that mom got on an Indian reservation in Arizona in the mid 1950s. I have some quilts grandma and her friends made and a spread to put on top of the quilts, that grandma crocheted. This is the trouble with making a list. I always get carried away.

Many of the things I took from our hardware store, a display case from the 1920s , casket handles, coffin nails and bunch of dishes.

I've got a few bits and bobs that have come my way but looking around I do have a tin plaque on the wall, it's a replica but both my parents lived thru WWII, that says

War Dept

WHEN IN DOUBT

Brew-Up

🙂

Pillowcases. My grandmother crocheted an edging on them and I love them. An antique rocker from grandmother. It needs to be repaired and reupholstered but I won’t be getting rid of that either.

A 'Can Do' personality that my mother gave me. It is and has been valuable.

I have my dad's pocket knife which he carried daily throughout my childhood. It's worn and in need of sharpening but I still keep it and I think of him whenever I see it or use it.

Hiddenite ring from the first ever find of this stone in North America, which was on my great great uncle's farm in Alexandria County, NC. Most Hiddenite comes from Brazil.

A hand-towel from my grand-mother that she painted.

My father's hand tools.

A World War 1 bayonet an an officer's Military Field Manual 1913 and two medals.

I have my grandfather’s world war 2 watch. It is a treasure!

Ohub Level 7 Sep 13, 2018

My dad's glasses. He passed away when I was in my twenties.

I have an old wooden chinese checker board that my uncle had in his house. its pretty worn but my family loves board games so i like taking it out every now and then and playing it with my kid.

I have a Browning shotgun the was made in 1903. Still can't bring myself to shoot it.

I'm lucky that I do have a few things from olden days, like my great grandfather's doctor's instruments. He was a small town doctor in Nebraska 100+ years ago. I have several things of my mom's, like a charm bracelet that includes a miniature typewriter among other things of interest in her life at that time. (She was a writer.) I have my grandmother's bible, not my religious grandmother (who didn't own a bible) but my atheist grandmother who kept the bible on her end table, to help with her crossword puzzles. A few other items that keep me cognizant of my roots.

Not sure I treasure this the most, but recently I inherited an AH Fox shotgun that was manufactured in 1917, making it an antique.

My mother's heart.

I inherited a beautiful Star Sapphire from one of my great grandmothers. One of my most treasured possessions

My father's sense of humor.

My grandfather's ring. He was a soldier in World War one, and while on garrison duty in the months after the Armistice, he had a ring engraved with his name and the year 1919.

I inherited a number of items last month from my daughter, I am just discovering the items. Still hurts to be carrying around her driving license, with the misspelled middle name. I will get around to read everything she wrote in those pads I am keeping. But I will treasure the memories that were taken away before they could happen.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:178038
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.