Agnostic.com

35 8

What is an item you've inherited that you most treasure?

I have my late grandmother's 60+ year-old typewriter. It's a small manual that works with a ribbon where you have to hit the keys very hard. She used it for work after my grandfather passed, which was before I was born. This was back in the days before auto-correct and even liquid paper, where if you made a typo you had to start all over again, and my grandmother was a fast and immaculate typist, even well into her 80's. Even though the typewriter still works, I won't use it. But I treasure the connection I have with her, because being a typist (okay, the more recent term, "word processor" ) was my bread-and-butter for many years.

bleurowz 8 Sep 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A 'Can Do' personality that my mother gave me. It is and has been valuable.

I haven't inherited much worth keeping. I inherited seven guns from my grandfather, which I sold to a family member to buy my first guitar. So that became my most treasured possession out of anything that I've inherited in a sense. I also inherited a small jewelry case full of old knives and pocket watches and trinkets. Not much in there is worth a lot either, a couple of the knives are collector's items and began my own collection of knives, although I prefer to collect usable tools for their utility than showpieces. I sold the jewelry that I've inherited when in a tight spot, so that helped. None of my family's treasure has ever been anything worth getting too attached to though.

I'm in the process of cleaning out my childhood home, which will be the only thing worth a shit that I'll inherit from my father. He trashed the place worse than an episode of Hoarders minus the dead cats, no exaggeration. I've spent the last year pulling trash out of it and trying to get things back in working order. Still got a lot of walls to redo and kitchen appliances to buy, but I think I'll treasure this place once I get it back in decent shape.

Cant edit but I forgot to mention a giant heavy patchwork quilt and a probably 50+? year old cast iron skillet. Those are handy and shall remain treasured as well. Ive got more treasure than I thought. 🙂

SS officers dagger my grandad took(killed) of a camp guard in bergen belsen according to him many guards/outlying guards were killed in retribution whether thats true or not i know from drunken chats what he saw never left him

Agree!

I have a green glass candy dish with a chip in the lid from my grandma. Probably not worth more than $2 but I spent many hours staring at that dish wanting candy. No idea why I didn’t just ask if I could have a piece, lol.

This reminds that I have a green glass souvenir saucer from a fair in the 19teens that my grandma kept of her sister's. It is stored away in my cedar chest. I should check its value

Hiddenite ring from the first ever find of this stone in North America, which was on my great great uncle's farm in Alexandria County, NC. Most Hiddenite comes from Brazil.

I have my dad's pocket knife which he carried daily throughout my childhood. It's worn and in need of sharpening but I still keep it and I think of him whenever I see it or use it.

Pillowcases. My grandmother crocheted an edging on them and I love them. An antique rocker from grandmother. It needs to be repaired and reupholstered but I won’t be getting rid of that either.

Pictures of my parents when they were young.

I love old pictures. I have pictures all the way back to my great great grands.thankful to mom for saving all of them.

I've got a few bits and bobs that have come my way but looking around I do have a tin plaque on the wall, it's a replica but both my parents lived thru WWII, that says

War Dept

WHEN IN DOUBT

Brew-Up

🙂

Many of the things I took from our hardware store, a display case from the 1920s , casket handles, coffin nails and bunch of dishes.

I have a few things. I have my grandma and grandpa's little book from when they were married in 1926. It has her entries about when they met, guests at their wedding in her parent's parlor, her dress, shoes and flowers. It is incredibly sweet. I have chalk and charcoal drawings of my sister and myself, from the Illinois State fair, in 1950. I was 4 and my sister was 3. They are in the original frames that mom put them in. I have a bracelet that my dad brought my mom from Germany, when he was a medic in WW2. He nearly died of his wounds but he bright it back. I all have a silver and turquoise snake ring that mom got on an Indian reservation in Arizona in the mid 1950s. I have some quilts grandma and her friends made and a spread to put on top of the quilts, that grandma crocheted. This is the trouble with making a list. I always get carried away.

My dad's ruby ring. He wore it every day I knew him from childhood to his passing at 96 5-years ago. Now it's my turn. An attractive gal (with a guy I assumed to be her husband) noticed it at a restaurant a few weeks ago and asked about it. I told her the story and wondered why she noticed it. "I'll tell you something... women ALWAYS notice spectacular jewelry on a man... that's a $20,000-dollar ring you're wearing"! Hmmmm... I kinda doubt that, but nice to hear from a random beautiful lady.

This wasn't inherited, but when my granddaughter was 5 years old, she sent me a $5 bill in a card. This was 6 yeas ago. I still have both the card and the bill. When I croak, I want her to get it back.

I'm lucky that I do have a few things from olden days, like my great grandfather's doctor's instruments. He was a small town doctor in Nebraska 100+ years ago. I have several things of my mom's, like a charm bracelet that includes a miniature typewriter among other things of interest in her life at that time. (She was a writer.) I have my grandmother's bible, not my religious grandmother (who didn't own a bible) but my atheist grandmother who kept the bible on her end table, to help with her crossword puzzles. A few other items that keep me cognizant of my roots.

My dad's glasses. He passed away when I was in my twenties.

A World War 1 bayonet an an officer's Military Field Manual 1913 and two medals.

My father's hand tools.

A hand-towel from my grand-mother that she painted.

A cedar chest my grandmother had. It was her older sister's before her.

Her sister was much older and she lived with her to help take care of her. I spent much time with them as a young child and loved that chest. I once ran away by hiding in it.

I did not have a stellar childhood when I was older but those times with them are among the happiest in my memory and that chest is a representation of that time.

The chest was put in a shed outside after my grandmother moved to Fl and was the only thing left on the slab after hurricane David. My grandmother gave me the chest when I was out on my own and has been near me most of the time ever since

I had an illness 10 years ago and lost nearly everything except my truck, my dog and what I could fit in a small storage unit. All my photographs and personal mementos went into that chest and I paid to store it off and on for a couple of years while I rented a room in other people's homes.

I only share my previous travails to illustrate how determined I am and was to keep that chest
It currently sits at the foot of my bed and contains chrismas decorations I deem too fragile to store in the garage.

My wedding ring belonged to my late husband's grandmother, then his aunt.

My dads silver and gold pen

My mother’s pragmatism and my father’s love of soccer

Not much. My deceased mother had a lot of jewelry but it was mostly costume stuff. After she passed my step dad's girlfriend told me she wanted to give back jewelry that dad tried to give to her. She just knew it was mom's, she said. I told her to keep it. How could I possibly know it was once mom's jewelry?

Mom also had a set of dishes that we never ate off of. That was the "good china" that stayed in a cabinet but was always visible. I'm not sure where it went after mom died. Do I want that stuff? Hell no. What are you going to do with it? Not expensive at all, it was just "stuff."

Nothing. I was a minimalist well before it became a thing. I figured out long ago that stuff is just that, stuff. It has no memories. Those are all in my head. The few family things I had I gave to the ex during our divorce (she will give them to the kids if they even want them) and a few years ago I gave them what little I had that had been passed down. When doing do, I made it clear there was no obligation or expectation to keep anything. Whenever my time comes, they will have nothing to sort through other than my clothes and few personal possessions.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:178038
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.